Should you flush BMW cooling system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

My daughter has 2008 BMW 650 (appx 40K Miles) and I suggested she get cooling fluid flushed. The BMW service guy said it should never be changed.

What is your opinion on flushing BMW cooling systems? She plans to keep the car for a good while. It will be shifted down to her husband and eventually maybe to me.

Thoughts? Also, same question on transmission fluid.

JR

Forget the service guy. What does BMW say?
wink.gif

My 1991 BMW coolant has been changed once in 19 years. No corrosion anywhere. I may do it again soon.

Your ATF should be changed, that is a vilal fluid IMO

Last edited:
My mother has a 2005 330ci with only 12k miles. I'm about to have the coolant changed in the coming weeks. I think 5 years is long enough for the factory fill. The BMW dealer is having a $90 coolant flush special going on now. So, not all BMW dealers believe in lifetime coolant, and I highly doubt BMW does too.

From what I've heard, most BMW dealers DO adhere to the lifetime ATF stuff though.

Originally Posted By: jrcowboys
Guys:

My daughter has 2008 BMW 650 (appx 40K Miles) and I suggested she get cooling fluid flushed. The BMW service guy said it should never be changed.

What is your opinion on flushing BMW cooling systems? She plans to keep the car for a good while. It will be shifted down to her husband and eventually maybe to me.

Thoughts? Also, same question on transmission fluid.

JR

I believe around 2007 they (And Mini) started the lifetime coolant,even though it is the same coolant they have been using for years. The reason is that the head and block are aluminium/magnesium. I would still change it at 4 year intervals if you are planning on keeping the car.

Last edited:
It would be dumb to not change it.

Considering the electrolytic tendencies that occur in any cooling system, and that the coolant loses its ability to prevent the attack of metallic items over time, I would do what pretty much every manufacturer these days has some change interval, why not?

Sure, it's not like the car will blow up if you wait, but then why bother changing the oil or doing any other maintenance?

For most coolants today, 5 years is the point.
But if changing, most BMW's have several tricks to getting it out and getting the air out after. Plus purge valves that sometimes don't seal right afterwords. Google it.

Some also don't have the drain hole in the thermostat, so you can get air pockets there.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Forget the service guy. What does BMW say?
wink.gif

BMW says:
Quote:
The engine coolant has a lifetime rating and
does not need to be changed except for system repairs.

Thanks, QP.

I would interpret this to mean that they expect the coolant to last at least as long as the least durable part in the cooling system. I'd leave it in for now, and then plan to replace something in the cooling system (along with the fluid) around 100k miles or so...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Thanks, QP.

I would interpret this to mean that they expect the coolant to last at least as long as the least durable part in the cooling system. I'd leave it in for now, and then plan to replace something in the cooling system (along with the fluid) around 100k miles or so...

Yeah... considering that a modern BMW needs a complete cooling system overhaul by the time you hit 60-80K miles, that coolant will get changed soon enough.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't care what kind of car it is the cooling system will need to be drained and refilled at the minimum at some time.

I agree.

The op has a 2008; probably still has new car smell...

Quote:
considering that a modern BMW needs a complete cooling system overhaul by the time you hit 60-80K miles

Yikes!

Originally Posted By: cos
Quote:
considering that a modern BMW needs a complete cooling system overhaul by the time you hit 60-80K miles

Yikes!

It's a slight exaggeration.
wink.gif
But it's more or less true for some models.

Maybe it is like Fords lifetime filter that was designed for 150,000 miles.

I normally recommend a complete check/replace of hoses and ELC coolant around 5 years. Then you are good for another 5. Checking coolant ph occasionally can also pinpoint early problems.

1999 to 2005 3 series (E46) will require thermostat, temperature sensor o-ring, water pump and expansion tank within 5 years, its the nature of the beast! The joys of the ultimate German driving machine.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back