zmax,militec, avblend

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Every liquid is a solvent for something.
2. About the smallest hydrocarbon molecule that might have any lubrication properties is about 10-12 carbons. Anything more "micro" is just in the gasoline range. Thus, you are quickliy getting into the area of kerosene, Stoddard solvent, etc. Perhaps there is a chlorinated solvent involved???

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
its a micro-lubricant that uses oil as the carrier to reach the metal parts, which it then "soaks" into slightly to form a protective surface that disperses carbon and prevents it from building up.

Can you please point me to the location of your information? There has been no information, that I am aware of, to show:

The size of their molecule vs. oil molecules typically found in motor oil. I asked, and got no response.
Yet, you post here as though their "micro-lubricant" claim is a proven fact.

The auger test supposedly showing that their oil penetrates "deeper" into the metal than normal oil. Or that this oil forms a "film" rejecting further carbon.
Please cite the tribological or chemical method as to how this occurs since you are once again stating this as a given fact.

Please explain to me, since you have so many facts on hand, why this "film" of "micro-lubricant" magically stops working after 6 months.

The facts have already been posted, directly or as links to other sources. The 6k or 6 month recommendation is as per the product manufacturer.

I have no affiliation with zMAX or the company that makes it Tempest, so I really don't need to explain anything to you as you just keep flogging a dead horse.

I have posted that from my reading of the the product (using the same info and links that have been posted in the different threads on it) I am persuaded that it has:

a. gone through more in-house testing and independent product verification than any other additive I have any familiarity with (and I've made it a point to research many as extensively as there is literature to find on them);

b. from the above, satisfied that the product claims have some basis in reality and are not mere fiction;

c. and lastly, because each are beneficial, and one in particular is appealing to me, I'm satisfied that its worth the price tag to evaluate it for myself.

I don't need to be a tribologist to accomplish the above. An open mind and willingness to read and digest the readily available information suffices.

Your post is inline with demanding that I explain how the design, engineering, and manufacturing behind every component that makes up the car I decided to buy. Or my choice of TV, PC, etc.

I don't need to know exactly how everything works to make a reasonably informed decision on whether or not to buy it. That's kind of good for me, as even though I am an auto enthusiast (who is also willing and fortunate to able to study the auto repair side of it in his spare time), my particular area of "expertise" is in alcohol and drug detox, and its probably for the best that I don't have to use the substances I treat the addiction for in order to be effective in my profession (nor even know the exact molecular structure of each substance, as I'm not a chemist and its immaterial to the work I do).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Is it true Spyder, you have not yet used the product NOR you have purchased it yet? I rest my case!

Seriously, it is on sale at AAP and I am going to pick one up when I get a chance. I was going to stock up on Techron, instead, I will probably try zmax.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is it true Spyder, you have not yet used the product NOR you have purchased it yet? I rest my case!

Seriously, it is on sale at AAP and I am going to pick one up when I get a chance. I was going to stock up on Techron, instead, I will probably try zmax.

- Vikas

I have located both a local source for the single product and the two product combo kit (the latter I'll be buying). I have not yet purchased it because I haven't yet needed to use it. I stated from the beginning, and consistently since, that my use is tied to using it on my next OC (now about 2 weeks away) because the current fill contains both mos2 and MMO and I want to test it without the other additives present.

Because the rollbacks on PP have stopped, and I have (now) only a quarter quart remaining of my original 5W30 PP stash, I'm being pragmatic about it by using that up first. As I have the source located, and familiarized myself with it as thoroughly as I can while I kill the miles to the upcoming OC, I don't consider my decision to wait the short time until I'm actually going to use the product before buying it - the price has been consistent since I decided to try it, it hasn't gone on sale here (the source mentioned as having it on sale doesn't exist in my city), and lacking a sale there is no need to by it in advance. Nor is deciding not to do so at odds with anything I've posted. Particularly when you pause to consider that while killing the miles to the OC, I have also allowed it time to go on sale here before my planned use of it, just in case it does.

So there goes your case. I have been upfront and consistent in everything I've said from the moment I made up my mind to use it and push my OC up to do so before winter comes. The only thing your 'case' illustrates is that, like most people here, I'd prefer to see if something goes on sale before I plan to use it, rather than by it at regular price just so it can sit pretty on the shelf as something to look at while the OC will go ahead at the planned time regardless, and with the zMAX in hand at that time either way.

Edit: I realize your first sentence is likely a light hearted jest, I respond to in seriousness only lest anyone read more into it than that, in order to set that aside pre-emptively.

-Spyder

Last edited:
I have a question:

If AVBLEND/ZMax "soaks" through metal, why aren't these cans leaking?

avblend-4.jpg

That is really a silly question. But just to play on your words, they never said is soaks "through" metal, but in to metal. But just in case, they did switch to this style bottle.

avblend.jpg

Johnny

They say something like "Don't worry about overfilling your crankcase. Most of the 12 ounces will be absorbed by the metal in your engine and your fluid level will return to normal."

I don't think it's silly at all to ask why that one little can doesn't leak (or at least doesn't rob you of a few ounces via absorption) if the product is supposed to soak into your engine in a short amount of time.

I did notice they changed the bottle to plastic. Maybe it's because people were catching on to the obvious contradiction.

It is funny but if a fuel system comes in a can, I trust it lot more than if it comes in a bottle. Silly, I know.

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
Johnny

They say something like "Don't worry about overfilling your crankcase. Most of the 12 ounces will be absorbed by the metal in your engine and your fluid level will return to normal."

I don't think it's silly at all to ask why that one little can doesn't leak (or at least doesn't rob you of a few ounces via absorption) if the product is supposed to soak into your engine in a short amount of time.

I did notice they changed the bottle to plastic. Maybe it's because people were catching on to the obvious contradiction.

Well, I can only tell you from my experience it does exactly that. After 30-50 miles of driving the oil level is not overfilled. As for as the cans if it makes any difference, I have a few on the shelf in my garage that are moist around the bottom seam.

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
Johnny

The instructions say (I'm paraphrasing from memory) to add it to a warm engine and then drive it afterward for a period of time. If I were to hazard a gas, it needs heat (like hot engine oil) to act as a catalyst for the absorption to occur, and that its pretty much inert at room temperature.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part, but its consistent with how they recommend using it. I'm not a chemist, but I remember enough chemistry to recall that various molecules behave differently, or take on different forms, at different temperatures. H2O is a gas at 100C, a solid at 0C, and a liquid at every temperature in between.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

The instructions say (I'm paraphrasing from memory) to add it to a warm engine and then drive it afterward for a period of time. If I were to hazard a gas, it needs heat (like hot engine oil) to act as a catalyst for the absorption to occur, and that its pretty much inert at room temperature.

-Spyder

Perhaps. Or maybe with a 270F flash point it simply vaporizes instead of soaks.

Now that I have the combo kit I'll find out first hand what it does. I may not be able to explain the why behind any results I observe, but I will try it and then make up my mind.

-Spyder

Can you also verify that the combo kit indeed contains exactly the same product in the two bottles except the color?

I can verify that by what I have been told from the folks that make it at Oil-Chem Research.

Everything you see in this picture is the same product.

oil-chem.jpg

Last edited:
They just put different color dyes to distinguish each product. They probably figured people might be more comfortable with pouring something red in the transmission since ATF is also red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back