Goodyear Wrangler RT/S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not noisy but NO grip in heavy rain or snow. Came with my Ranger. Would never, every buy them as a replacement. Have read that they have a pretty long life which is typical of rock hard tires that dont grip well.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
I thought they were gonna discontinue the R/T-S...

Would be a good idea. Very happy with my truck, not so much with these [censored] tires, looking forward to the (very soon) day they are replaced with modern, decently performing tires.

They came stock on my Ranger as well. Very quiet, smooth-riding tire that is wearing extremely well. But very poor traction on rainy and snowy days like pidster said. I would not buy them as a replacement either. I might even replace them next year, even though they have tons of tread left. I just can't stand the poor traction.

But to answer your question, no they're not noisy at all. They perform fantastic on clear, dry roads.

Had a set on the '99 F150 and on the '97 Explorer in the wake of the Firestone Wilderness recalls. Pros: Quiet, wear like iron. Cons: Slick in any condition other than dry roads. Positively scary on ice or snow. The set on my '99 F150 was trashed with 1/2 the tread left when one had an issue with the steel belts in it. The winter traction made my choice to do a full replacement easy despite the significant tread left on the others.

The RTS and the GSA are one of Goodyear's poorest efforts, or at least the ones most compromised by OEM requirements (so they may, in fact, be designs that took the most effort to get them to perform at least reasonably well).

Many guys call the GSAs the "Get Stuck Anywheres".

HORRID HORRID HORRID! Don't even think of buying them. They are an OE issue piece of crud tire. Had a couple sets on 4WD trucks come OE and they flat out stink. I will disagree with the others about them wearing well. The 2 sets I had wore out by 20K.

Awful... OEM tire that is quiet and smooth riding on the test drive.

Quiet and decent dry traction, but not great in the rain and slick in the snow. Had them on an '05 Grand Cherokee and replaced them with Cooper ATR's during the first winter.

Old-school Goodyears are their OEM/warehouse line and I wouldn't touch them:
Wrangler RT/S, SR-A, AT, HP, no-Integrity, Viva, Tracker and the Eagle LS/RS-A.
The newer Goodyear line from the Fortera, Assurance and new Eagle lineups are pretty good tires though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pidster
Not noisy but NO grip in heavy rain or snow. Came with my Ranger. Would never, every buy them as a replacement. Have read that they have a pretty long life which is typical of rock hard tires that dont grip well.

Amen, they came stock on my '99 S-10. After a little wear they were like driving on ice.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Everyone is right - those tires are awful...and I am a Goodyear fan!

I sell Goodyears and wouldn't sell the RT/S...

Please do NOT waste your time with these [censored]....seriously HORRIBLE tires and VERY scary on anything but a dry surface.

Goodyear has newer tire versions that are far superior to their old tire versions...but be careful as to which ones you choose.

Another [censored] version of theirs is the goodyear tracker...very scary as well.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Old-school Goodyears are their OEM/warehouse line and I wouldn't touch them:
Wrangler RT/S, SR-A, AT, HP, no-Integrity, Viva, Tracker and the Eagle LS/RS-A.
The newer Goodyear line from the Fortera, Assurance and new Eagle lineups are pretty good tires though.

Their AT/S and ST OE tires are awful too.

Horrid I did a 180 into a ditch by taking my foot off the gas on 1" of snow at 35mph

rain traction was bad too.

dry was adequate.. however they wore in a bad pattern and sounded like boggers after 15000 miles with rotation.

Slid into another truck about a hundred feet away doing 20 on slushy ice in my old 96 Explorer with RT/S's. I had what seemed like minutes to see the fact that I was going straight into this truck with nowhere to go.

Making any turn from a stop on anything but bone dry pavement would spin the tires without any effort whatsoever.

I had them as OEM tires on a Toyota truck, and a 4Runner. The only thing they did sort of okay was hold air. Even that was questionable as they seemed to be very susceptible to punctures.

Poor traction, and inability to balance issues were their biggest shortcomings for me.

As a result of those tires, and bad experiences with a couple sets of Goodyear Eagles, I would be very hard pressed to ever consider another Goodyear tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back