Oil for Volvo Penta 5.0 GXI-G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am a first time boat owner, and since I have the BITOG bug.. I want to change the oil myself instead of letting the boat shop charge me 200 bucks. So I am going to purchase a nice electric pump and do it myself.

The owners manual recommends SAE 30 oil for the boat. I would like to use a synthetic oil. Any recommendations? The boat now has 50 hours on it and is due for the first oil change. Here is my problem. I plan on winterizing the boat in October. I will probably put about 30 more hours on the boat this season. Is it foolish to change the oil now, then winterize it? I will probably want to change the oil next spring after I "un" winterize it right? SHould I wait, or just use some cheaper SAE 30 oil to get me through on this one. ???? Any input is appreciated.
^Boaz

I believe that your maintenance manual calls for an oil change at 50 hours (ubless you run synth) regardless, I would change the oil now AND before storing for the winter: you dont want to leave used oil in the engine: contaminents will precipitate out, any acids or moisture in the oil will etch away at the bearings. theree's quite a thread down a few regarding boat oils... but I would tend to stick with a 30W

also, what year VP? mine calls for synthetic and even states that on the oil fill cap. Volvo sells a 30W synth (I believe its actually Chevron) and Amsoil sells a 10W-30 that they claim is actually a 30 weight oil. or simply use a standard 30W dino oil.

In the us you MAY use sae30 full synth, in the rest of the world volvo recommends 15w50 full synth for this newer engine. My 5.0Gi 1999 is 30 full synth or 15w50 dino.
I believe the statement about 15w40 HDEO, that will probably work great.

Pennzoil Marine 30w, Rotella 30w or Delo 30w would all work and available at WalMart or West Marine. If you want synthetic try the Amsoil. Me I would use the Pennzoil Marine 30w dino as it is $4.90/qt at Walmart and has the marine anti-corrosive additives you want. If you have a 50 hour OCI all will be fine.

Last edited:
Do the change now, and a fresh one when you put it away as stated above. I always change the oil and have the drive serviced before layup.

As for oil, I had a VP in my first boat. The Volvo synth is hard to find and expensive when you do find it. Wish I had more suggestions but I have been running a merc for a while now. You should be able to find plenty of suggestions in this forum.

Its a tough decision as you will find many syn vs. dino arguments.

That is a great engine by the way.

Last edited:
Picked up some 20W50 Valvoline Syn tonight for 2 bucks a quart at pepboys. I also bought some Valvoline syn. blend for a buck a quart for my "winterization" oil.

The manual listed 15W50 and 20W50 as alternatives for the engine. I could not find any SAE 30 syn. oil anywhere today.

By "Winterization" oil do you mean you are going to install it for winter then change it out again in spring without using it?

Last edited:
When winterizing a boat you change it before its put away for the winter. When you unwinterize the oil is ready to go for the season.

I had the same problem with finding oil and i was sick of paying the stupid amount of money it cost for volvo oil or amsoil.

I read up how good PP is and went with 10w-30 and let her rip. It's a 5.0 ford motor very basic engine I believe any synthetic oil will do fine.

Originally Posted By: SIURXP
When winterizing a boat you change it before its put away for the winter. When you unwinterize the oil is ready to go for the season.

I had the same problem with finding oil and i was sick of paying the stupid amount of money it cost for volvo oil or amsoil.

I read up how good PP is and went with 10w-30 and let her rip. It's a 5.0 ford motor very basic engine I believe any synthetic oil will do fine.

This is not a Ford engine but your advice would probably remain similar.

Hmm i think i had one to many beers that night cause your right it is a gm 5.0 and have no idea why i said ford.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back