I dont want to do an oil change in the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont want to do an oil change while its cold out so Im doing one tomorrow. Running motorcraft filter and oil for mabye 5000 instead of 3000 because of the winter. Is that okay?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
For the vast majority of applications, that will be just fine.

I agree...Generally what we do is 6 months or 5K miles on the 5W20 Motorcraft Blend.

You should be just fine. But I would like your definition of what cold out is.
grin.gif
It is 23F here right now.

I sort of like winter oil changes. Sometime in February there's a nice sunny dry day; when the car's all warmed up from whatever I pull out the ramps and do a quickie.

I do put "something nice" in in late fall in case it gets delayed.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Georgia "winter"?

Yea, how cold does it get in the winter? Or how warm is it in the winter?

Doesn't matter how cold it gets for an oil change-I put a rear end in my mom's old '78 Dodge Aspen when I was 18, in the driveway, a foot of snow on the ground, no torpedo/salamander heater. I would have to have digits removed from frostbite if I tried a stunt like that now (I'm 46)!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Doesn't matter how cold it gets for an oil change-I put a rear end in my mom's old '78 Dodge Aspen when I was 18, in the driveway, a foot of snow on the ground, no torpedo/salamander heater. I would have to have digits removed from frostbite if I tried a stunt like that now (I'm 46)!

I don't think changing out a rear end is in the same league as a simple oil change. Real men aren't bothered by a little cold weather.

It gets in the teens. I dont want to be outside working on my car if I dont have to. Glad I dont have to. thanks for the input

Georgia...winter...? Sort of an oxymoron. Spend winter at 4400 feet and you will time your oil changes like I do for the end of October

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You should be just fine. But I would like your definition of what cold out is.
grin.gif
It is 23F here right now.

It is 102F in Irvine now. It's new record high for Nov 03.

Originally Posted By: Sixxer
I dont want to do an oil change while its cold out so Im doing one tomorrow. Running motorcraft filter and oil for mabye 5000 instead of 3000 because of the winter. Is that okay?
LMAO! Winter? Georgia? But seriously, why not pull the car into the garage (or a friend's garage) to get out of the "cold" to change the oil?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
You are fine.

The 3,000 mile oil change is a myth.

5,000 should be the new minimum.
Unless you are dealing with a known sludger or you see extreme driving conditions like off-roading, racing of any sort, short trips, etc. There still is a place for short OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back