2009 JSW 2.0 CRD TDI Castrol SLX Pro LL03

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already posted this as tdiclub.com and gotten some good feedback, but thought both I and the board could benefit from it being posted here as-well.

This was the second sample from the wife's '09 Jetta wagon, and it's third fill of oil (second fill was not tested). Oil is the 507 rated 5W-30 from the dealership. This car has slowly used coolant since new, but no leak has been found. It took around 14,000 miles to get from full to add on the coolant reservoir (estimated 7-8oz). I had the dealer pressure test the cooling system around 7k miles, and they found nothing. I mentioned this on the sample slip to Blackstone both times, and this time they seemed to think that the coolant is making its way into the oil. It's been well known that this engine has a decent dose of potassium in it from the factory that drops over subsequent oil changes. However my level remained the same. Aluminum and iron wear increased over the factory fill. Copper improved. Insolubles and viscosity increased.There was some info in the coolant section that G12 coolant has lots of sodium and low potassium which would contradict a coolant leak. However this vehicle has G12++, which is a silicated OAT so I don't know if the NA, K values still hold true.

The only other difference between the two samples, was that the first was taken with a mityvac through the dipstick tube, and the second was taken hot as it drained from the pan.

My plan is to dump this fill early (~5k miles) and send it to another lab that can test for glycol presence.

Mi on oil 7,544 6,033
Mi on unit 22,684 6,033
Aluminum 37 24
Chromium 2 2
Iron 71 62
Copper 10 32
Lead 1 1
Tin 1 0
Moly 6 2
Nickel 1 1
Manganese 2 6
Silver 0 0
Titanium 2 0
Potassium 63 61
Boron 1 2
Silicon 6 27
Sodium 4 4
Calcium 1756 1699
Magnesium 8 7
Phosphorus 806 697
Zinc 1280 877
Barium 0 0
SUS @210F 67.2 66.4
cSt @100C 12.22 11.98
Flash 420 440
Fuel Antifreeze POS ?
Water 0.0 0.0
Insolubles 0.3% 0.1
TBN N/R 4.4

Last edited:
Seems a little "weird" that Al and Fe are on the rise. Those numbers are a little troubling, I am trying and (suggest you also) check for UOA/VOA/ preferably the latter to see if this oil contains Potassium. If you are not getting this oil for free from your dealer. I would try another brand of oil to see if things change.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
If you are not getting this oil for free from your dealer. I would try another brand of oil to see if things change.

The only other readily available 507 approved oil is Mobil1 ESP, but only at PebBoys and we don't have one in-town. I've seen a UOA or two of this at tdiclub, and they didn't appear to be significantly better for wear numbers. There are some available on the internet, but they are significantly more expensive, plus shipping.

Last edited:
There is a "coolant mod" on some diesels that may apply to you.
The coolant creeps up the electrical wiring from the sensor. Check the FAQs on tdiclub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back