Mitsubishi Outlander transfercase and r-axle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'm going to be good to this vehicle and I'm going to change out the transfer case oil at the recommended interval. While I'm at it, might as well do the rear axle as well. For those of you searching a year or two from now, it is a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. I have the whole service manual for it. The manual says the transfer case takes hypoid gl-5 SAE90 and the axle takes hypoid gl-5 SAE80.

I've called both stealerships in the area and they both say to use those oils for that application and not to get an 80/90 weight for both.

So my question is, how much are we nit-picking here?

Also, I've been looking in part stores already and some have LS additives, some don't. My service manual doesn't specify one way or the other. Will it hurt anything if there are LS additives in there?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all GL-5 oils have limited slip additive? If it was mine, I would try to stay as close to that recommendation as possible, but most likely would try to find an Amsoil type fluid for it.

Stick with a full synthetic and worry less. Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline... 75w90 would be easy choices for both the transfer case and rear end.

And, if you want to go a little thinner with the rearend, Toyota and Redline have a GL5 75w85. You're not going to find a GL5 SAE-80 too easily at the local auto part or dept store.

It doesn't and won't hurt to have LSD additive.

well I guess I was just a bit paranoid. Went in to see my buddies at AdvanceAuto to pick their brains. looked up the fluids in their computer and they had comments near the capacities about alternative fluids...the normal fluids were given. So I picked up two quarts of Mobile1 75-90 and will give that a whirl. Hopefully I'm not back in a few months with an update!!
laugh.gif

Mobil1 will work well in transfer case, as any full synthetic 75w90 will.

If you take a sudden MPG hit, you might need something a tad thinner in the rear end.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=40&pcid=4

or either 75w85 PN from Toyota dealer:
http://www.toyotapart.com/LT_75W-85_API_GL-5_DIFFERENTIAL_GEAR_OIL_T-SB-0118-08.pdf

I can't stand ANY automaker that doesn't sell their fluid in a quart bottle. Buying barrels of Subaru or Mitsubishi fluid is nuts. Not every wants a 20 quart barrel for a 1-3quart service and all but passively forces dealer only service when there isn't an aftermarket alternative.

I did the transfer case this weekend and was glad I changed it. I could still see through the oil a bit, but could definitely see some suspended metal sludge...just a bit. Magnetic plug had a decent amount on there as well. I'm glad I changed it out.

One of the nice things about the outlander, in 2WD it is FWD...so when on the highway, we shouldn't see much of a hit. I haven't done the rear diff yet because the drain plug confused me a bit. It is really low (I guess that's the point) and you'd need an allen wrench to remove it...fill plug still has a hex head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back