Ubuntu Netbook/Google talk question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the details:

1) I have an Acer Aspire One D250-1151 netbook running Ubuntu Netbook 10.10.

2) Google Gmail has a feature that allows you to make phone calls from Gmail within the USA for free. It works fine on my wife's Mac, and my daughter's W7 Acer Aspire One netbook.

3) For some reason, the microphone on my netbook does not work when making calls with Google.

I have verified that my microphone is not muted. Any ideas how I can get it to work? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

WW

Go to Preferences/Sound Input. Chect that you have the correct setting in "Chose a device for sound input".

Set level at 100%.

You also can use a headset but if you use a USB headset, you will need to make changes in the sound settings.

I have Ubuntu on my desktop, laptop, and netbook and both sound input and output works well.

You can test the input on where you adjust your settings.

Try a regular non usb headset too.

SrDriver,

Thanks for the tips. I've verified the sound input settings, but it's still a no-go. I'm guessing it's a Google problem, since the netbook's microphone works with the Ubuntu voice recorder program.

I don't have a microphone headset to try. If I happen to get one, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.
WW

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I cannot use the phone calling feature as I live outside the U.S., but I know that under Linux it's handy to install their voice and video plugin: http://www.google.com/chat/video/download.html

Thanks. That was the 1st thing I did. I don't think Google talk is going to work with this particular netbook. No biggie, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back