Trans Fluid Change 07 Ford 500 Aisin F-21 6 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMC

What are my fluid options with this 2007 Ford 500 with Aisin F-21 6-speed other than Ford Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid or Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV.

There must be a full synthetic produced in this spec ?

2007 FORD FIVE HUNDRED 3.0L 6-cyl Engine Code [1]
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASMQT)
XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLMQT)
All TEMPS......5W-20
Automatic Transmission,CFT30......VTF [1]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Automatic Transmission,F21......TIV
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

Any T-IV compatible fluid will work. I know Valvoline Maxlife and Castrol Import claim to be compatible, along with Amsoil and the two you mentioned.

I interpreted this to mean that the ATF would work. Maybe Pablo, or Gary can chime in?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123

I interpreted this to mean that the ATF would work. Maybe Pablo, or Gary can chime in?

You're correct, there is an Amsoil recommendation, right in the posted link.

The "no recommendation" is for the CVT (CTF-30), not the Aisin 6- speed. The 6 speed uses T-IV.

I know this because I have the CVT. There's no substitute for that fluid, but it's a totally different transmission.

If its not the CVT, then ANY universal or multi-vehicle ATF can be used that mentions the 3309 or T-IV spec.

Synthetics:
Amsoil ATF
Redline D4
Amalie Synthetic
RoyalPurple MaxATF
Mobil1 ATF
Valvoline Maxlife

I purchased the Valvoline MaxLife, it clearly states the Toyota T-IV spec, the other option was Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, they also have the T-IV spec on the bottle, but not on their website, I guess they haven't updated the website information.

The main reason for seeking an alternative to the original fluid is to use a synthetic in it's place, I think it's a much better ATF.

This trans has a drain plug, but only 4 quarts is replaced, i'm thinking about driving a week or so between fluid exchanges and doing it 3 times, any opinion on this method ?

Originally Posted By: FMC
I purchased the Valvoline MaxLife, it clearly states the Toyota T-IV spec, the other option was Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, they also have the T-IV spec on the bottle, but not on their website, I guess they haven't updated the website information.

The main reason for seeking an alternative to the original fluid is to use a synthetic in it's place, I think it's a much better ATF.

Isn't the drain recommended drain interval something like 150K? I'd have to think at a minimum it's a GIII base oil in there? Motorcraft's mineral-based fluids are a lot cheaper than this stuff as well, so I don't doubt that it's good fluid. It's expensive, though.

Originally Posted By: FMC
This trans has a drain plug, but only 4 quarts is replaced, i'm thinking about driving a week or so between fluid exchanges and doing it 3 times, any opinion on this method ?

Well, you'll get out about 85% of the fluid using about 10 qts, versus 100% of the fluid using 8 or 9 qts doing a flush.

Personally, I think it's quicker just to get it over with and drain it from a cooler line while adding fluid rather than mess with it on 3 separate occasions. You may want to look on a car-specific forum to see which line has the easiest access (and is the correct one). I think either way is fine though.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Isn't the drain recommended drain interval something like 150K?
That's correct, but when I did a drain & fill on my niece's '06 Fusion, which uses the same transaxle, at 30,000 miles the fluid was already turning dark. I would not want to see what it looks like after 150,000, if it would even make it that far.
Motorcraft's mineral-based fluids are a lot cheaper than this stuff as well,
Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (AKA Mobil 3309), which is what Ford specs, is $9.50/qt. Toyota T-IV (same fluid, different label) is $4.50.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Isn't the drain recommended drain interval something like 150K?
That's correct, but when I did a drain & fill on my niece's '06 Fusion, which uses the same transaxle, at 30,000 miles the fluid was already turning dark. I would not want to see what it looks like after 150,000, if it would even make it that far.

Oh, I'm not suggesting to leave it in that long, I just doubt they'd spec a fluid with a GI/II base oil for that sorta distance

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Motorcraft Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid (AKA Mobil 3309), which is what Ford specs, is $9.50/qt. Toyota T-IV (same fluid, different label) is $4.50.

Weird, my local dealer has it for $5.50? That said, I've never seen the Mobil fluid for anything close to that price, so I'd question whether or not it's the same as the Mobil fluid.

The PDS refers to it as a "hydrotreated oil" so my guess is that it's as "synthetic" as Max Life. That's really my only point. I have no idea of the composition of the Mobil stuff, but I don't think anyone else does, either...

The price is because of dealer markup.

OE recommended drain interval is meaningless.

The multiple drain/refill method is perfectly acceptable if you don't want to bother with a cooler line exchange.
Or, you can simple adapt a once a year or once every 10k-20k interval...

And, you won't get 100% with the cooler line method. Too many old/new ATF mixing points that'll keep the flush in the lower 90 percentile. You'll have to use a gross amount of ATF to approach the higher 90's %.

Weird, my local dealer has it for $5.50? That said, I've never seen the Mobil fluid for anything close to that price, so I'd question whether or not it's the same as the Mobil fluid.
Are you referring to Mobil 1 or to their 3309?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back