Mobil 0w-90 and 0w-100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can remember a few years ago when ExxonMobil was reportedly developing these two synthetic grades of industrial oil. Does anybody know if they ever came to fruition?

I did some digging and nothing is coming up. I bet that 0w-90 and 0w-100 would take some crazy add packs and shear like nobodys business in a short time. I couldn't find any gear oil in that viscosity either.

I'm pretty sure there are base oils that could achieve those viscosities. The only question is whether they are suitable for a fully formulated product.
wink.gif

?? there is no gear designation of 0w and there is no motor oil designation of 90 or 100 so sounds like a mis comunication.

I think the reference was to base oils with VIs so high that, if there were such designations, they could be achieved. I'm not sure though, and I still can't find the link, so I may have just made that up...

The main point of the patent was to show that by using low percentages of very high viscosity and high viscosity index PAO's, with higher percentages of low viscosity PAO's and GroupIII's that one wouldn't need VII's or very little VII's in the formulation.

Quote:
Pour point depressants and viscosity index improvers (VII) will not normally be required in the present oils because the low viscosity basestocks usually possess a sufficiently low pour point that no further modification of this property is required. However, conventional pour point improvers may be added as desired. The high molecular weight polymer component acting as a viscosity modifier and also as a VI improver will normally, in combination with the highly viscoelastic HVI-PAO component, confer a sufficiently high value of VI on the oil that no further augmentation is required but again, conventional additives of this type may optionally be used. Both these types of additive are described in Klamann, op cit.

This patent also ignited the controversy about how much GroupIII bases oils EXOM was using in their formulations.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6713438/fulltext.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back