My review on Supertech Mercon V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my opinion is kinda mixed. I ran Supertech Mercon V in a few crown vics and can now say after 30k it is well spent. When first poured, it is very light on the dye package which makes you think you never changed the fluid in the first place. It smelled heavy in detergents though. Overall it is an acceptable fluid that I would use again, but not in a car I was planning on keeping 100k.

Castrol is also well spent at about the 30k mark. Pennzoil Mercon V avail in 2006-2007 at walmart so far seems to keep its color and smell for the entire 30k. I will try valvoline next and see how it lasts.

I run Chevron multi-vehicle which is Mercon V certified for 50k and it looks/smells quite healthy. Rather cheap from your local Chevron distributor if you buy by the case or larger. A few P71 and LTC vehicles I run like it. I do as complete ATF change as possible with the line-off method. Also, their ESI line of gear oil is excellent: 100k ODI.

Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
Castrol is also well spent at about the 30k mark.
Not trying to be a ****, but what makes you say it's all done after 30,000 miles? I used Castrol MV on my last drain & fill and after 25k it came out just as clear and clean and bright red as it went in.
Quote:
I will try valvoline next and see how it lasts.
Please keep us informed. I have Valvoline MV on the shelf for the next time and I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Castrol is also well spent at about the 30k mark.
Not trying to be a ****, but what makes you say it's all done after 30,000 miles? I used Castrol MV on my last drain & fill and after 25k it came out just as clear and clean and bright red as it went in.
Quote:
I will try valvoline next and see how it lasts.
Please keep us informed. I have Valvoline MV on the shelf for the next time and I'll be interested to hear what you think.

The reason I beleive the castrol was well spent is it had 34k on it and when it came out it smelled stale, not burnt, and was not longer red. It was kinda brown / red. I have experianced burnt fluid in ford's C6 trannys and the dreaded E4OD and it definatly was not burnt, just stale. Other fluids did not have this issue. And the car is about 60% highway and the rest around town.

Oh, and I just put valvoline merc v in my newly aquired 98' town car. However it is going to be my winter ride, and I may opt to not keep it as it is not up to my standards. So we may never know how the valvoline holds up. I can tell you that it alone eliminated 100% of my TC shudder. After all the 111k old fluid was more than spent......

After all the 111k old fluid was more than spent......
Now THAT I believe...
19.gif

Thanks, man.
11.gif

and was not longer red. It was kinda brown / red.
Is the color of the fluid a function of a dye or a substance? I have no knowledge myself, but I would think it's a dye. Dyes are known to lose it. Again, I do not know for sure.

Yes, it's a dye. Primarily to identify the liquid as an ATF, but it also changes colour when overheated, hopefully to allow one to get it changed before it's too late.

When I would buy MerconV, often the ford dealer would have the best prices on it. You need to buy it by the case to see the savings however.

No problem if you have a 4r70w that takes 14 quarts or whatever..

I'd rather use Mercon-V over ANY generic DexII/III ATF. Think of it as an upgrade for all those older GM products. Not everyone wants or needs overpriced DexronVI. Its also great in Toyota and Nissan products that use DexII/III.

Amalie synthetic ATF is sometimes on sale, and with free shipping, for $61 when bought by the case online. Its a great choice for anyone that balks at Mobil1's $9/qt or RoyalPurple's $13/qt local auto part store ATF prices.

You might even find Schaeffers 204s ATF at a similar price if purchased in bulk.

I'd also probably use $4/qt Maxlife over a store generic brand ATF.

Uh...Mercon V is for Fords. You want Dexron VI.

The best thing to do is check the book, and go by the spec that is listed in the book. Then check the TSB's and see if they have updated that spec.

My saturn takes a Dex III fluid in the gearbox, about a quart and a half or so. I picked up a bottle of Mobil1 that said Mercon V in large letters on the front of the bottle, but also met Dex III specs listed on the back.

unDummy made a good point.

Mercon V meets Dex III spec.

Lasts much longer than conventional universal ATF that meets Dex III spec, at least in my Toyota application.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Uh...Mercon V is for Fords. You want Dexron VI.

The best thing to do is check the book, and go by the spec that is listed in the book. Then check the TSB's and see if they have updated that spec.

My saturn takes a Dex III fluid in the gearbox, about a quart and a half or so. I picked up a bottle of Mobil1 that said Mercon V in large letters on the front of the bottle, but also met Dex III specs listed on the back.

Why post up a review on something that you clearly know nothing about? You cannot possibly write a review based up on what the fluid looks and smells like. Seriously...

Originally Posted By: sw99
Why post up a review on something that you clearly know nothing about? You cannot possibly write a review based up on what the fluid looks and smells like. Seriously...

I did save some samples. If you would like them, or would like to pay to get them analysed by a professional I would be happy to give them to you. I can tell you unlike motor oil, if tranny fluid is no longer red (brown), and smells stale, it should not be in there anymore. What more do I need to know???? I just saved myself $22 for a sample by knowing those 2 pieces of info.

The cars these fluids came out of were all crown vics/ lincolns and the driving style was similar. Thus certain fluids got brown and smelled bad way faster.

I did pan drop and line-off today. SuperTech Mercon V out and Chevron Multi-Vehicle in. 2004 Lincoln Town Car. SuperTech looked, felt and smelled brand new after 30k miles. So much for an organoleptic analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back