Grease for boat trailer bearing w/ Disc Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to redo my hubs and my my boat trailer, and want to use a good quality grease. I know most of the marine greases are ok to use in trailer bearings, but didnt know if this applies when then trailer has disc brakes. trailer is used in saltwater. Anyway, this is a double axle trailer with a heavy boat and cant risk a bearing failure due to poor quality grease. What is the best to use? Was thinking a red high temp grease like lucas or mystic. any suggestions.

I have the sure lube axle system, which has the built in zerk to the axle and lubes from the inside bearing outward.

Last edited:
The guys at Lubrication Engineers told me to use # 1275 on my snowmobile trailer. It is an aluminum complex grease. very water resistant.

I know its probably the wrong place to mention this, but if you're interested in some 1275, send me a message.....I bought too many tubes last week.

bob

Originally Posted By: jdw1222
I have the sure lube axle system, which has the built in zerk to the axle and lubes from the inside bearing outward.
I have that system on a car trailer that I have. You have to keep the grease fresh. For boat trailer the Bearing Buddies are the way to go because if the Bearing Buddies are used properly they keep a positive pressure inside the hubs which keeps the water out which leads to long bearing life.

When deciding,

Is a lithium complex or calcium perferred for saltwater?

I was doing some searching here and came across a few post that seemed to indicate lithium is not recomended for saltwater, and I assume the 2 types of grease are not compatible

sounds like Castrol Braycote 610 is what your after, only trouble is that its smallest package is a 35 lbs container,

Meets Mil specs, and NATO requirements, GAA military grease lots of testing for salt water,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back