Discredit this oil test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly this is a weird test. Tons of different oils at different weights, etc. Mineral, syn blend, full syn, etc. 5w30, 0w40, 5w50, etc.

Anyways, this is just a single test and not very representative of all the things happening in a motor. I would take it with a grain of salt.

And, for all we know, Royal Purple could be some big advertiser in their magazine...

I feel it actually has plenty of validity. If you look really closely at all of ths oils tested (bearing wear scar,lbs psi to break the oil film,etc),you`ll see the ones that performed the best (Pennzoil,Valvoline) also have the least amount of wear metals in uoa`s. RP of course shows the smallest wear scar and takes the most psi to break the oil film,but there`s not masses of uoa`s with this oil to really come to a concrete conclusion.

Last edited:
OLD, OLD subject. This is a test for GEAR Oils, NOT engine oils.

It is NOT relevant to an engine!

I believe that vinegar does best in this test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
This is a test for GEAR Oils, NOT engine oils.

It's not even that, the API does not use the Falex lubricity tester for GL-4/GL-5 approval much less for engine oils.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What about camshaft wear,bearing wear,and/or piston scuffing?

Watch the video, repeatability is extremely poor. An oil that performed poorly can perform great a couple minutes later as the bearing heats up and begins to activate anti-wear additives.

The most relevant (and possibly the only relevant) oil test is tearing the engine down to inspect for wear. Honestly, for most users, any synthetic is fine---or even dino.

Head and shoulders did very well in that test, do I smell the next darling on BITOG
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Capa
The most relevant (and possibly the only relevant) oil test is tearing the engine down to inspect for wear

Speaking of that,people I know who are into hot rods and building up engines always report the least amount of wear using dino.

Well thanks for your answers, people, the retraction info was interesting, looks like they learned enough to see it wasn't a good test but were still working on anything more meaningful.

I liked the AMSoil vid too, despite looking hard, it really did seem quite neutral, if only for this particular test type.

I'm sick of people shoving RP down my neck, right now, short of people creaming over it, i've no tests or anything to say otherwise.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
I'm sick of people shoving RP down my neck, right now, short of people creaming over it, i've no tests or anything to say otherwise.

Well that certainly isn't happening on this site. The exact opposite happens. People jump all over you if you post favorably about RP.

RP is good oil just as most any oil out there is. Ignore all of that ridiculous stuff and those infomercial like testing procedures. Use RP or don't. IF you do your engine will be fine. If you don't and use another quality oil it will also be fine.

I agree, RP generally makes a good product. The Falex lubricity test is irrelevant though.

Originally Posted By: MaDMaXX
If i'm sticking to fully synth oils, which oils are comparable, RP seems very expensive compared to Mobil1.

RP is actually probably the cheapest synthetic you can get. Retail price for RP is around $8.50 a quart,Amsoil is around $10 a quart,Motul is also around $10,and Redline is $10.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The test is a complete joke for motor oils with very poor repeatability.

Yeah and Amsoil uses the 4-ball wear test.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back