Subaru Extra-S by the drum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit, as an oil junky, oil by the drum is pretty hot:

2010_10_22%20087%20%28Small%29.jpg

How will I possibly access the oil... well how about on tap, just like my second favorite thing... beer:

2010_10_22%20088%20%28Small%29.jpg

In all seriousness, this is supposed to be the best tranny oil for the Subaru 5mt. I have enough for the life of my Forester!!
grin.gif

I'm looking forward to draining out the current tranny oil.. which is set for tomorrow.

I used this in my 5MT (your 5MT and my 5MT are virtually identical). I had dino Valvoline 80w-90 in there before this, and the ONLY thing that might have improved even slightly is that I don't get a howling noise from the transmission when it's in neutral on very cold mornings anymore. And it might be a tad bit easier to get back in to first on cold mornings.

Other than that I can tell absolutely no difference. Well, except that the Extra-S stuff is VERY smelly. I got maybe half an ounce of the stuff on my turbo heatshield and I can STILL smell it if I have the heat on, windows up, and the A/C thing set to fresh air.

Subaru Extra-S does not like to flow in cold weather. I had to change my in NH because I could not shift in -20 weather. After switching to Amsoil problem solved.

Originally Posted By: JRed
I used this in my 5MT (your 5MT and my 5MT are virtually identical). I had dino Valvoline 80w-90 in there before this, and the ONLY thing that might have improved even slightly is that I don't get a howling noise from the transmission when it's in neutral on very cold mornings anymore. And it might be a tad bit easier to get back in to first on cold mornings.

Other than that I can tell absolutely no difference. Well, except that the Extra-S stuff is VERY smelly. I got maybe half an ounce of the stuff on my turbo heatshield and I can STILL smell it if I have the heat on, windows up, and the A/C thing set to fresh air.

I'll be sure to keep it away from any engine parts!

Originally Posted By: Button
Subaru Extra-S does not like to flow in cold weather. I had to change my in NH because I could not shift in -20 weather. After switching to Amsoil problem solved.

Interesting. I don't expect it to shift as easily as the Redline Lightweight Shockproof I have in there now in extreme subzero temps. However, those days are few when compared to a full year. If it's as bad as you say it is I may switch back for the winter months.

How did it shift in the summer?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Time for a VOA

If someone wants to pay for it I'll send the sample
grin.gif

Just changed it out and it shifts the same as the lightweight shockproof that was in there, which is very good. However, one 5 mile drive and the fluid is still slightly blue, indicating there was a good amount of the old fluid in there. I'll do another change tomorrow, using my jack to lift the back end up which should get more fluid out. Then a drive, which will be the definitive test. So far though, it shifts just great.

Originally Posted By: JRed

It has a nice sweet smell to it, kinda liked it. Nothing as strong smelling as the lightweight shockproof.. now that's a very smelly fluid in comparison.

I do love having the fluid on tap though! There should be enough for 5 changes easily. So after tomorrow's change I'll have 3 more. I'll probably just change it yearly after that.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Time for a VOA

grin.gif

Just changed it out and it shifts the same as the lightweight shockproof that was in there, which is very good. However, one 5 mile drive and the fluid is still slightly blue, indicating there was a good amount of the old fluid in there. I'll do another change tomorrow, using my jack to lift the back end up which should get more fluid out. Then a drive, which will be the definitive test. So far though, it shifts just great.
Maybe you can repackage your early changeout and sell it cheap to a subaru guy.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: webfors
Time for a VOA

grin.gif

Maybe you can repackage your early changeout and sell it cheap to a subaru guy.

Any takers!?
grin.gif

Just got back from a 20 mile drive with the second change. Shifts good.. I can't tell much difference in smoothness of shift, so I'm happy about that. However I am finding clutch engagement to be smoother, like a 'padded' feel. Most likely because the Extra-S is thicker, and I don't get the jerky feel when driving 30-40mph while pressing and releasing the gas pedal (decelerating/accelerating with engine and gear engaged), so it feels a little more refined in that respect.

I suspect it won't shift nearly as well in the winter, which the Shockproof/motul was excellent at. We'll have to wait and see. It was 3 degrees celcius this morning and it shifted just fine. It's the subzero temps that will be the real test.

Did I mention how blue the first drain of Extra-S was?! Goes to show that you can never get all the fluid out during a change. It's just more obvious when the previous fluid is the lightweight shockproof.

Heading out for another drive. I love my car... and BRING ON THE SNOW!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Why are you discontinuing the use of the Motul/shockproof cocktail?

The desire to run something more legitimate and warranty approved. Another concern is the possibility of the suspension particles in the lightweight shockproof accumulating in small passages over time, resulting in decreased oil flow to sections of the 5mt fed by these passages. This appears to be more of a concern in the 6mt. I've read a few threads where this possibility became a reality. I've also witnessed these particles build up on the sides of the dipstick and accumulate over the last 10k miles with my change from 25/75 to 75/25 shockproof/motul mix. That visual is what triggered my change of heart. Would it take 200k to accumulate enough to cause a blockage? Maybe, I don't know. None of my opinion is scientific on this topic. So the idea has given me nightmares because I love the junk out of my foz
grin.gif

So the search was on for something that would shift as well, and be utterly safe and warranty approved. Extra-S appears to be that fluid. But only time will tell.

I ran Extra-S and thought it did well during winter in NJ. Currently running Delvac in the tranny and it shifts a bit easier than the Extra-S for me. This will be my first winter run on Delvac.

In 14 years of driving Subaru manuals, I've never mixed gear oils.

-Dennis

I ran that for about 10K miles in the racecar....very nice shifting. Drained it in September and it was very clear, and just a little bit of metal paste on the drain plug (no shards/chunks). Good stuff.

I managed to snag the empty drum/can from the dealership...remove the top and handle, and it is now my garage trash can-- coolest trashcan ever!

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
I ran that for about 10K miles in the racecar....very nice shifting. Drained it in September and it was very clear, and just a little bit of metal paste on the drain plug (no shards/chunks). Good stuff.

I managed to snag the empty drum/can from the dealership...remove the top and handle, and it is now my garage trash can-- coolest trashcan ever!

Excellent idea for a trashcan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back