Lithium moly grease question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been lurking here for a while, joined recently and have always found great information and knowledge here.

That being said i was reading about the proper grease to use on my drivetrain. Lithium moly was specified for the double cardan and regular grease for the others.

my question is....will i do harm if i use the moly grease on the other u joints as well or is it necessary to get away from it when i do the rest of the suspension and drivetrain.

it is a 2002 toyota 4x4 truck. always maintained. i am second owner. purchased at 100k, now has 150,000 miles and runs great. I do have a hard time believing that in the past all the mechanics that lubed it used the moly grease and or switched greases. i bet they just used basic grease everywhere......thanks

A Moly fortified grease is the best choice for chassis use,U joints and all,,all experience high shock, high loads, thats all i'll use but i use a Alum complex base for better water washout and extra tackifiers.

now wheel bearings,,Mehh maybe not,but i have used it there too.

I have tried various combinations of grease on my 2000 Tundra over the last 11+ years. Sometimes it was even serviced by dealerships by who knows what. But you are right. The only fittings that require an extreme pressure grease are the double cardon joints. That's where the most torque is applied to the rear shaft. Moly is just one additive that gives an EP advantage to grease, and that's what Toyota recomends for these joints. All of the other fittings do just fine with your basic NGLI #2 multi-purpose chasis lube lithium based greases.

My exerience with the Moly EP grease is that it is messy and seems to attract dirt and get gummy faster than multi-purpose greases without Moly. This is most noticeable on the slip yoke fitting. Since this fitting will give you the most subjective improvement after greasing, I think it's best to stay away from the Moly for this fitting. If you haven't noticed already, this part of the shaft compressing and de-compressing is what you feel when you come to a quick complete stop in the truck.

I'm currently trying LE 3752 in all the fittings to see if that works well as an all around lube for the front and rear driveshafts. I also have aftermarket ball joints that need greased. It uses a different EP additive called Almasol, and it's lithium based. Too early to tell or come to a verdict on effectiveness yet though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
My exerience with the Moly EP grease is that it is messy and seems to attract dirt and get gummy faster than multi-purpose greases without Moly. This is most noticeable on the slip yoke fitting. Since this fitting will give you the most subjective improvement after greasing, I think it's best to stay away from the Moly for this fitting.

Dude you wana see dirt and dust come to the pit here and i'll show some, a MEP grease dont attract any more then any other grease out there.

molybdenum disulfide acts as a solid lubricant the grease acts as a "backstop" lubricant when the greas base is dryed out or wiped,pounded away due to shock loads or other conditions which can exceed the capabilities of the grease base.

OP it's a good grease use it!

I have a Tundra with the same grease spec...I've got 100,000 miles with moly grease in everything and excellent results.

The driveshaft spline joint on the 4wd trucks benefit from the moly grease but it isn't spec'ed there, just the ordinary grease. I don't understand Toyota's differing grease spec. It might save a few pennies on each truck when the parts are built, but in service, nobody bothers to use separate greases and no grief results.

Originally Posted By: stingraymike
my question is....will i do harm if i use the moly grease on the other u joints as well or is it necessary to get away from it when i do the rest of the suspension and drivetrain.

No harm and in fact the moly will only be a benefit to the other applications.

Frank, I already told you, I even posted pictures.

To the guy with the tundra: its sad, but not all dealerships are equal.

Originally Posted By: Rix

Rix, what you posted was what you use on your own vehicle,

Again what type of grease does your Toyota dealership use?

Dont beat around the bush, answer the simple question,

Originally Posted By: IH8mush

I already told you what I use on the network, frank.
My truck gets the same as customer's trucks.

Originally Posted By: IH8mush

I already told you what I use on the network, frank.
My truck gets the same as customer's trucks.

I forgot, what is it???

That section was deleted, some sort of Blue Goo was it?

And something else for the CV joint? two different greases for the same assembly, cant think of any other automotive or mechanical component that does that.

What is it Rix?? Really I forgot, Thanks Frank

The section was not deleted, your access to it was removed, frank.
you are only allowed to post in your section. And you've been given a 24 hour vacation from THAT.
And you have no input on the topic of this thread, you should leave it alone.

you know what started all this....I had a squel or rattle coming from the underneath (center) of my truck. it alays surfaced after a long ride (like an hour of more).

anyway, i was really worrie dit was coming fromt he trans. I had the trans fluid replaced twice in two years. the first time by my local guy, the second time at a trans shop. Neither located any problems.

Also recently my local mechanic told me he greased underneath during an oil change. I usually do my own oil changes, however once in a while i go to him.

This got me to thinking and doing research. maybe a support bearing is making a noise. I read up on everything here and on a tacoma forum i am on (ttora).

I ended up buying a lucas red and tacky grease. greased all the joint. Funny thing is, i noticed what my mechanic greased, 1 joint.........

I know it is not a moly grease, but i am still ahead of the game having everything greased opposed to dry.

I also noticed my first catalytic had some loose heat shields.

all is well and very quiet unbderneath. I think my problem was the heat shields heating up after a long trip underneath and making noises.

I am just glad it was not the trans$$$$$

thanks all for the help and advice.

Lack of grease is the killer

Like this:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwODkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzAwOTAuanBn.jpg

The complaint was a squeeking as lower speeds.
Their local "quick lube" place didn't bother with greasing anything on this particular truck.

Almost anything is better than nothing at all.

Originally Posted By: salesrep

Not necessarily true. The no harm part... yes, thats true. It will not not harm anything at all. The benefit part, not true. Moly takes extreme pressure to be effective at all. Most passenger vehicle applications will never see enough pressure to activate the moly's useful properties.

Originally Posted By: APStore
Originally Posted By: salesrep

Not necessarily true. The no harm part... yes, thats true. It will not not harm anything at all. The benefit part, not true. Moly takes extreme pressure to be effective at all. Most passenger vehicle applications will never see enough pressure to activate the moly's useful properties.

What? Activate??

it's there on the surface,whats to activate,please explain?

Activate might not be the right word but the moly will not become a factor until the pressure is extreme enough to drive out the petroleum lube leaving only the moly or other extreme pressure additives between the parts.

In many cases the moly will just be floating in the petro lube having no effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back