P0175 and P0172 Codes: 06 Honda Pilot 132K Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXW

Just had the codes pulled during recent service through independent shop (not a Honda Dealer) and am looking for root cause with action plan.

I want to keep the vehicle for several more years.

Common to Pilot or MDX: check all valve lashes and adjust them according to factory specs. Perform an idle learn afterwards and see if these codes return. If so, proceed to check all the idle/fuel/air related components, including your EGR valve for proper functioning and shutoff.

Also, last but not least (after you adjusted all your valve lashes): get a bottle of PEA based fuel injector cleaner and run it.

Q.

Last edited:
Has the timing belt service been done? I believe it should be done no later than 120k. If not the valve adj can be done at the same which should save some money by combining services.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Has the timing belt service been done? I believe it should be done no later than 120k. If not the valve adj can be done at the same which should save some money by combining services.

Did timing and water pump at 95,000 miles. Valve adjustment was not completed during this service. We drive 2 hours to get to the dealer and I might be bothered if I learn that the valve adjustment was "overlooked" by the service dept.

Given both banks are giving you "Fuel System Too Rich" code, you should look for a common culprit. I do not know if your vehicle has MAF sensor. But if it does, that is where I would start. Get CRC MAF cleaner and clean the [censored] out of it.

Another thing to look for is air obstruction. Check if your air filter element is clogged. Make sure no birds or squirrels have made a home in the air duct.

Valve adjustment on newer Honda is NOT cheap and usually rarely needed. Unless you paid extra 3-4 hundred, it was likely not done by the dealer.

Any fuel system related code automatically means you add strong fuel system cleaner dosage before doing anything else. Do double dose of Techron / Regan / Redline etc first.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Vikas gave good advice.
At least a good start.

Air filters on FI are not nearly as problematic for richness as they were on carbureted cars, but a bad one will have a definite effect.
Even if it does not have leaves and dirt on it, water damage can leave it not flowing right.

Important:
If you have a fuel pressure regulator or sensor, check that out, too. It is a likely culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back