1985 Kawasaki ZL900

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900. It as just under 25,000 mile on it and I am looking to put a good quality motorcycle oil in it. I have run Bel-Ray semi synthetic as well as factory Kawasaki conventional oil. I do not ride this bike much at all, I am a fair weather rider at best!! I didn't ride it at ALL last year and have only put about 200 miles on this year.The oil that is in it only has 300-400 mile on it but has been in the bike for 2+ years. I would like to change it before I store it for the winter.

Is Rotella oil decent? I don't want to go full synthetic because of the age and I am afraid it would start leaking all over the place.

What are your thoughts??

With only 300 to 400 miles on the oil in the bike, there's really no need to change it unless you think that it's contaminated.

1'd run the engine up to operating temperature for a few minutes and put it away.

Rotella oil is a great choice. For the amount of use your bike gets, 15W40 Rotella T conventional will be more than adequate.

Quote:
I have a 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900...

AWESOME!

Great time for motorcycles. VMax, Eliminator, Magna, and if you can get past the styling, Madura. Excellent hard charging muscle-bikes.

I wouldn't sweat the oil change. I ran Bel-Ray Synthetique in my ZX600C for the first 40,000 mi. (probably overdid it with the 3000 mi OCI)It was great.

Like above get the engine to operating temp for awhile. Burn off any moisture or acids in it. Perhaps fog the engine with some DeepCreep if you like.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Quote:
I have a 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900...

AWESOME!

Great time for motorcycles. VMax, Eliminator, Magna, and if you can get past the styling, Madura. Excellent hard charging muscle-bikes.

Thanks!! Yeah, the thing is just crazy fast from stop light to stop light....According to Kawasaki it was 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Top speed was only 144mph,but in 1985 that was pretty good!!

My moto is "It's not how fast you go,It's how QUICKLY you go fast"!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back