What oils currently meet all GF-5 Specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this from a Castrol e-mail I sent:

Thank you for contacting Castrol,

Castrol Edge (SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) and Castrol Syntec (SAE
0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 5W-50) currently meet ILSAC GF-5
requirements.

The first opportunity to license engine oils as ILSAC GF-5 is October 1,
2010. Castrol products meeting ILSAC-GF5 will be stated on the container or
you may refer to the API starburst oils with API SN in the donut to confirm
a product as ILSAC GF-5.

Castrol Consumer Relations
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 10:13 PM
To: Online customer service
Subject: Castrol USA - Contact Us Form Data
Importance: High

So Castrol GTX does meet SN yet? I thought most name brand oils won't require a reformulation.

Last edited:
Pennzoil yb does,right? Or are they supposed to be coming out with a "newer" lineup soon? I can`t remember.

I just got back from my local Wal-Mart. While I was there I took moment to check out all the oils.

The ONLY motor oil on the shelf I found to be GF-5 "Resource Conserving" API SN was 5W-30 Pennzoil Yellow Bottle and that was the quart bottle only.

Castrol Syntec said meets GF-5 on the front of the bottle but had API SM on the back.

Although the manufactures probably have GF-5/SN available right now, it will probably take a while for the supply chain to exhaust it's current inventory of GF-4/SM

Here the two only two shown up so far are PYB and QS-GB. Both are in a new style of jug as well. One interesting thing I noticed was that, whereas in the past every API SM oil stated on the back "compatible with all conventional and synthetic engine oils", PYB listed conventional only, while QS-GB omitted any kind of statement like that from the bottle.

The new API SN PYB has been reformulated. I'm not sure about QS-GB or other oils. I expect some will be, some won't need to be. Time will tell.

-Spyder

A few months back I had some phone communications with Castrol regarding Edge. I was told (late Summer), that Edge had already met the specs. IIRC 10/1 was an official launch date, the oil companies already knew the requirements, and were waiting for the launch date to change the labels.

I was told the same thing by a couple of the oil companies. Fact or fiction, I continued to add to my stash, because I knew prices would rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back