Does Tire Shine Speed Up Dry Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a TV add for PLEDGE and it's many uses. "Not just for wood finishes" they say. Car interiors and motorcycles too.....DON'T use it in car interiors. I know from experience. It will crack the plastics, vinals and rubbers in about 6 months or more. Looks great at first but, it gets real bad from there on. Tires too! PLEDGE makes tire sidewalls crack terrably. They look great at first and I like the low gloss shine that PLEDGE gives but, the end results are really bad! Not bad on the paint but, not the best either. It often brings out the acid rain spots in the paint and they can't be removed.

Was talking to a man today that has used tire shine ever since it first came out and says he never noticed any cracking issues. The current tires on his Jeep Wrangler cost $300 each, and he has tire shine on them.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
The current tires on his Jeep Wrangler cost $300 each, and he has tire shine on them.

Not all tire shine products are created equal.

I'd say stick with brand name tire shine products if you choose to use them, names like Turtle Wax, Armour All, Mothers, Meguiar's, etc. These companies all make products that protect and preserve cars, not damage them, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
My local Discount Tire is now using tire shine on all tires serviced as a "complimentary" service. Hmmm

Really? That's different...

Yep, I had a set of Nitto 555's intalled last Thursday at Discount and they used the tire shine on them.

From my experience, most people have problems with drying out and cracking because they used a product for a while and then stopped completely. But if applied on a normal, regular basis there are no problems.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

From my experience, most people have problems with drying out and cracking because they used a product for a while and then stopped completely. But if applied on a normal, regular basis there are no problems.

I plan to apply it at least two or three times a year, which will hopefully be enough to keep my tires healthy. I like how the stuff looks and how the tires now repel mud better.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

I plan to apply it at least two or three times a year, which will hopefully be enough to keep my tires healthy. I like how the stuff looks and how the tires now repel mud better.

My suggestion would be at least once a month. I put a light coat on with a sponge everytime I wash the car.

Last edited:

The purpose of this stuff is not to keep tires healthy. It is purely for looks. And if you want it to remain looking good (black and shiny) you will have to apply it every week or every couple of weeks at least.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The purpose of this stuff is not to keep tires healthy. It is purely for looks.

What I meant was keep them from dry rotting, if in fact they would dry rot if I began using tire shine and then stopped altogether.

I don't think the tire dressing would prevent dry rot. Based on my own experience, I'm generally in the camp that believes that many products promote rot (or cracking, weather checking, whatever you want to call it). I rarely use any dressings anymore. But I will ocassionally, and I only use water-based dressings. I have a few bottles of Michelin's tire dressing. It says right on the bottle that Michelin approves of the dressing on tires (of course they do, it's their own brand). But I don't know what's in most dressings (MSDSes usually don't list non-haz materials), so I can only go on faith that a dressing will be "safe", without knowing what's really in it. So if a tire manufacturer endorses a product, then I figure it's safe enough. If Goodyear or Yokohama or any other tire brand marketed their own dressing, I'd try that too. The Michelin stuff is near impossible to find, unfortunately.

You cannot say do tire shines cause dry rot. Thats to broad a grouping of tire shines. It depends on the shine. Anything that contains hydrocarbons, to my understanding, will pull plasticizers from the tire and it will loose its flexibility. However anything water based, will not contains hydrocarbon solvents and will likely contain a conditioner that will do the opposite and help restore tires. Water based shines are usually milky white while hydrocarbon based shines are greasy and clear. Look for something that doesnt contain hydrocarbons and is milky white.Try mothers fx. Good luck ;-)

The stuff I have, made by Turtle Wax, comes in a see through green bottle and looks milky white and is probably water based..

Its a liquid correct? Not a gel? If its milky you should be good to go and it wont hurt your tires at all. Spray a little on the tire or some other surface to double check that its a milky liquid. Also look at the back of the bottle to triple check and make sure it doesnt say "contains petroleum solvents or hydrocarbon solvents" or something like that.

Originally Posted By: SERonBLAST
Silicone is in most products and will wreck dashboards and probably tires.
It does look nice and wet but in the long run it can do more bad than good.

Bingo! Any silicone based products will cause dry rotting. That's why I use Stoner's More Shine Less Time on my tires. It's not silicone based, it won't cause dry rotting, it looks good, and lasts a long time.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I found the best product is 303 Aerospace Protectant...it's not greasy or too shiny and is designed as a water-based UV protectant that seems to last. I use it on most plastic/rubber stuff on the car. http://www.303products.com/

I've found 303 to work well on the interior, but it attracts too much dirt and dust to use on the tires. Stoner's More Shine Less Time is much better for tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back