New Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be really new, I could find no info on their website about it, Cheaper than the XL so not sure what application it serves yet. Looks like it is in the common flavors ie. 5w20/30, 10w30 etc. If anyone has an inside scoop please let me know!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
It must be really new, I could find no info on their website about it, Cheaper than the XL so not sure what application it serves yet. Looks like it is in the common flavors ie. 5w20/30, 10w30 etc. If anyone has an inside scoop please let me know!

OE What does that stand for?
I am not aware of anything less expensive than the XL line.......

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 1, 2010
AMSOIL Reformulates XL Synthetic Oils with Extended Drain Boost
AMSOIL announces the reformulation of its Extended Life XL Synthetic Motor Oils, now available in four
different viscosities with a bold new packaging design. The new XL oils contain Extended Drain Boost for
longer service life in keeping with the lengthening oil change intervals of newer cars. XL has been
formulated to meet the more stringent ILSAC GF‐5 and API SN service categories and offers better
engine protection for reduced maintenance costs in gasoline engines.
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils employ an extra treatment of alkaline additives added to premium
synthetic base stocks to neutralize acids. The extra additive package effectively raises the total base
number (TBN) and resists shear to provide superior performance throughout the entire drain interval of
up to 10,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.
Fuel efficient AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils provide better fuel economy compared to conventional
motor oils.
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are also friendly toward modern emission control systems and help
maintain low emissions. Thermal breakdown effects including evaporation and viscosity loss are also
significantly reduced, while providing excellent hot and cold engine protection.
AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are available in SAE 5W‐20, 5W‐30, 10W‐30 and 10W‐40 viscosities in
quarts, gallons, 30‐ and 55‐gallon drums and 275 gallon totes.
About the Company: AMSOIL has been the recognized leader in synthetic lubrication since 1972. For
more information about AMSOIL synthetic motor oils contact your nearest AMSOIL distributor, or call
AMSOIL at (715) 392-7101 or 1-800-777-8491. AMSOIL INC., AMSOIL Building, Superior, WI 54880, or
go to www.amsoil.com.
News Contact:
Ed Newman
Director of Advertising
Ph. 715-392-7101
[email protected]

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

I'm sure Pablo might have some info on this OE oil that your referring to.

Sure!

The OE in Amsoil OE stands for Original Equipment. The reason being is the oil change interval is based OEM recommendations so it’s not meant to be a typical Amsoil extended drain oil.

It’s a Group III Full Synthetic designed to go after other cost effective synthetics e.g., Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, etc.

It’s a fully licensed SN/GF-5 oil and appears to be a close cousin of the XL line. It’s available in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30

Cost: If go to the Amsoil site and look it up, a preferred customer can buy it by a case of twelve and it breaks down to $3.99 per quart. Otherwise the PC cost on each individual quart is $4.20.

Product Code: OEMQT-EA (5W-20)
Product Code: OEFQT-EA (5W-30)
Product Code: OETQT-EA (10W-30)

It’s official release date it Nov 1st.

Amsoil’s marketing data shows big growth in the Do-It-For-Me quick lube market in the coming years so Amsoil is looking to increase their slice of the pie.

It’s a bold move for sure and one that might catapult them into the main stream.

I wonder if this is the old XL oils?

On a side note, what is up with Amsoil's shipping prices? $14.28 to ship a case of oil? Used to be around $9. With the shipping costs factored in, it is cheaper to buy it at Fleet Farm, than to go through the PC set up and pay for shipping. Example: Amsoil MCF is $11.33 with taxes and shiping. At Fleet Farm it is $11.43 after taxes. Shipping is killing the PC discount.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Sure!

The OE in Amsoil OE stands for Original Equipment. The reason being is the oil change interval is based OEM recommendations so it’s not meant to be a typical Amsoil extended drain oil.

It’s a Group III Full Synthetic designed to go after other cost effective synthetics e.g., Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, etc.

It’s a fully licensed SN/GF-5 oil and appears to be a close cousin of the XL line. It’s available in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30

Cost: If go to the Amsoil site and look it up, a preferred customer can buy it by a case of twelve and it breaks down to $3.99 per quart. Otherwise the PC cost on each individual quart is $4.20.

Product Code: OEMQT-EA (5W-20)
Product Code: OEFQT-EA (5W-30)
Product Code: OETQT-EA (10W-30)

It’s official release date it Nov 1st.

Amsoil’s marketing data shows big growth in the Do-It-For-Me quick lube market in the coming years so Amsoil is looking to increase their slice of the pie.

It’s a bold move for sure and one that might catapult them into the main stream.

If I could buy this oil for the prices that you quote, I would in a heartbeat, but at $6.95 plus shipping I'll stick to 5 qt. jugs of synthetic from WM. I do agree that it's a great oil from everything that I've seen.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
I wonder if this is the old XL oils?

On a side note, what is up with Amsoil's shipping prices? $14.28 to ship a case of oil? Used to be around $9. With the shipping costs factored in, it is cheaper to buy it at Fleet Farm, than to go through the PC set up and pay for shipping. Example: Amsoil MCF is $11.33 with taxes and shiping. At Fleet Farm it is $11.43 after taxes. Shipping is killing the PC discount.

NO, its is not the old XL oil, it completely NEW product.

Shipping is killing us dealers out here also. Half of my profit on the OE is eaten up in shipping. Its not AMSOIL, its UPS. The have the largest air line in the world. I talked with the person in charge of shipping and they are doing everything they possibly can to keep it down but they are at the mercy of the shipping companies.

Look around, everything is expensive to ship. You take that same case of oil and ship it UPS yourself and you will spend 2x as much.

It's cool to see a new oil from Amsoil, but is this REALLY necessary???

Amsoil XL is desigened to be used in cars for up to 10k or six months, OR OCI as indicated by OLM's or service manuals. From the site:

"AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils provide superior performance for up to 10,000-miles/six months, or longer when recommended in owner’s manuals or indicated by electronic oil life monitoring systems."

The NEW oil is designed to be used in vehicles for the inteval designated by the manufacturer...which in some cases, will be 10k miles, or what is designated by an OLM. From the site:

"AMSOIL OE Synthetic Motor Oil is specially formulated for the longer oil change intervals recommended by vehicle manufacturers today."

What's the difference???

The difference IMO is they want to grab the lower priced Synthetic market, from PP, QS, and a few others. A good, better, and best mentality. Their Achilles heal is the PC fee and shipping, this might help. The only problem I see is why bother with good, then pay a PC fee and shipping just for the Amsoil name? I have to hand it to RL for not playing the good, better, best game.

If I had to guess, I'd say in the next few years you'll see more and more Amsoil in retail locations. Getting into the mechanics of if and how I think they'd do it might start WW-III and that isn't my intention here. JMO

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Yes, it is a good therapy

Those dealers who are heavily involved in the retail market have been pushing for this. With 90% of the oil change industry and consumers stuck on the 3,000 mile oil changes, AMSOIL was missing out on huge market. Now they are on par with all the oil company synthetics and more quick lube etc will start to handle it.

So they decided to go after 90% of the market they had not tapped yet, makes good business sense for corporate and for this dealers who sell to the oil change industry.

The shipping really kills the good deal. like some of the posters said if it is there to compete with PP, M1, QSUD, etc. you have to really be a diehard Amsoil fan to buy the stuff. I've bought my share of amsoil, but for the specialty ie. PAO/ESTER base. I don't think I would buy it if I can get an equivalent at wallyworld. There better be some moly or boron in it!

I agree that it seems to make sense to go after the quick-lube and low-cost retail market. It just sounds and looks like OE and XL are pretty well the same thing....how different can two 100% group-III 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils be???

Here are a couple shots of the new Amsoil OE:

DSC00841.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Amsoil XL is desigened to be used in cars for up to 10k or six months, OR OCI as indicated by OLM's or service manuals. From the site:

"AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils provide superior performance for up to 10,000-miles/six months, or longer when recommended in owner’s manuals or indicated by electronic oil life monitoring systems."

The NEW oil is designed to be used in vehicles for the inteval designated by the manufacturer...which in some cases, will be 10k miles, or what is designated by an OLM. From the site:

"AMSOIL OE Synthetic Motor Oil is specially formulated for the longer oil change intervals recommended by vehicle manufacturers today."

What's the difference???

We're not scheduled to get tech bulletins until Nov 1st. So it's a guessing game until then.

However, I believe I heard the OE line will have the same HT/HS and NOACK numbers as the XL line.

And yes, if the OEM calls for 10,000-mile OCI's and many of them are, Amsoil OE can effectively go to 10,000-miles. Amsoil did this because their data shows the 3,000-mile OCI and the OEM OCI recommendation at best is still the norm in the industry. Now they have a product that addresses that part of the market. It’s a Good, Better, Best approach and gives the customer more options.

Plus, this is totally necessary. A major hurdle for Amsoil sales is pricing and the abundant supply of cost effective Group IIIs at the big box store.

I think it well be in the best interest of Amsoil dealers to take OE pricing one step further and make the new OE line their Loss product. Sell it at cost to entice people away from the Big Box store in the hopes Amsoil OE will be a gateway product for new customers.

For $29.05-to-$30.10 plus tax for 5qts; that's good competition for Edge, Ultra, and M1.

I'd buy this. I'd like to see some specs, but I just can't see Amsoil releasing a poor quality product. I have no problem spending extra money when it comes to maintaining my vehicle (I over maintain it) but at other times it seems like I am wasting money to spend top dollar for the 25k Amsoil if I run it like 4-5k or less. The new XL looks nice also, but maybe the OE is the way to go?

One question I have is from what I understand, the high end amsoil oils are PAO Group 4 oil? And the XL is group 3 similar to Mobil one? Is that true of the New XL, and is the OE the same type of base oil?

I wish certain local stores like Pepboys or Napa would carry either the XL or OE line. The shipping is a deal breaker.

I would use this in moms new car for the price instead of M1.
I would like to see it in gallons or 5qt jugs like the rest of their products. just a thought.
shipping for what I nomally buy is about 20 bucks. thats not too bad considering its a 3hr drive each way to the warehouse.

Even with shipping, the price compares very well compared to regularly priced oils in auto-part stores (not on sale and no rebate.) The syns are usually around $5.50-7 for individual quarts even at Walmart. I was just at Checker/OReilly and they had the smaller 4qt jugs of synpower for like $26 or $27!! (Needless to say, I didn't buy it.) Compared to that, the cost of OE + shipping is not bad at all. It will always be hard to beat Walmart 5qt jugs and/or rebate deals. But compared to regular price individual quarts pricing, this is going to be very competitive. Furthermore, this is aimed at the "Do-It-For-Me" crowed and they're already paying a big premium so it's unlikely to make a big difference it their eyes. If you're already paying $50-75 for an oil change, you're not going to be on BITOG worrying about shipping costs and that's who Amsoil seems to be trying to target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back