Rotella T5 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, long time lurker here, just never post. I have an '07 Triumph Speed Triple and was thinking about switching to an HDEO. I ran across this Rotella T5 and it was reasonably cheap.

Has anybody used the T5 10W-40 in their bikes? Sounds like it might be a good choice, it's semi-synthetic and comes in the weight that my bike calls for. Sunruh, any opinions on this oil? I am sure it would do as good as SRT 15W-40 if not better.

Thanks for the advice

I changed to Rotella T5 10w-40 in my '09 V* 950T this summer ( had been using Rotella 15w-40 ). Works very well. Plan on running this year round in my bike.

Started using it in my V-Strom about 600 miles ago; so far so good!!
thumbsup2.gif

I can't imagine any reason it won't work well for your Triple.

My brother's been using it all summer in his GoldWing and raves about the improved shift quality (Honda GN4 10-40 before).

Been using the old version of Rotella 5W-40 for about three years in a Kawasaki ex-500 and very happy with it. The new T6 version is JASO MA approved.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Why bother with the T5? T6 synthetic Rotella 5W-40 is a better oil and works great.

Probably because it's less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Why bother with the T5? T6 synthetic Rotella 5W-40 is a better oil and works great.

Better how?

Rotella 5w40, is probably their least shear stable oil in the line up.

Not being JASO MA does bother me a little bit, but bike is out of warranty any way so doesn't matter.

It is a little cheaper than T6, but not a whole lot. The T5 starts out a little thicker than the T6 according to their website, which I like. A lot of people run a 15W-50 in this bike, which I think is a bit thick. So I was trying to find a thicker 40 weight to split the difference. I also noticed the T6 seemed to shear a bit more than their conventional 15W-40.

Any other 40 weights out there on the thick side that would work?

Why not stick with SRT 15w-40 then? It's cheap, shear stable, and meets JASO MA. Or does it have to be synthetic? I'm planning to use it in my Vulcan.

Yeah I guess i could. I am still hesitant to use an hdeo for some reason, and the semi-synthetic thing kind of appealed to me. Also the 10W rating versus 15W is a plus, although at the temps I use the bike it probably won't matter.

I was hoping this T5 might be the perfect mix of regular rotella and the T6

I've run the T5 10w30 for 16,000 miles in a goldwing and it's worked great, got the T5 10W40 to run in my old Kawasaki KZ650 and it works great too. I don't like 5W40 because it's not the recommended viscosity, nor is 15W40. 15W40 works fine but too thick in winter, so I figure I ride all year around and prefer to stay dino 10Wxx. Not Jaso doesn't matter, just hasn't been tested to comply. I'm sure each certification is a drawn out process.

Originally Posted By: RonH
Not Jaso doesn't matter, just hasn't been tested to comply.

Well, they did test it for JASO DH-2. I wonder if it'd pass JASO MA if they submitted it for testing against it.

What is the main difference between these two JASO specs?

Last edited:
Thanks.

That document doesn't mention DH-2, so I'm guessing this spec has nothing to do with motorcycles. In which case it'd be nice to use an oil that actually carries the MA spec.

Originally Posted By: RonH
Not Jaso doesn't matter, just hasn't been tested to comply.

I asked Shell tech support whether T5 10w-40 could potentially pass JASO MA if they submitted it for testing. Here is what they responded with:

Quote:

Pete,
Rotella T5 10W-40 is NOT approved for JASO MA. If you have a wet clutch motorbike that calls for a 10W-40, we recommend you use Rotella T6 5W-40.

Best Regards,

Thierry Wamba
Shell Lubricants -Technical Help Desk

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks.

That document doesn't mention DH-2, so I'm guessing this spec has nothing to do with motorcycles. In which case it'd be nice to use an oil that actually carries the MA spec.

I believe the DH-2 has something to do specifically with Diesel engines and is not related to motorcycles at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back