School me on 2007 or 2008 Dodge Ram 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a truck - and I don't know all that much about trucks. I like the Fords, Nissans, and Dodges. The Dodge is the most affordable, so unless I can find a great deal on a Nissan or Ford I'll go with a Dodge if it's not junk.

I'm looking for a 2007 or 2008 with under 40k miles. My price range is ~16k (thus why the dodge is more affordable - more options for the $$). Must have 4 doors! I would like a V-8, but I hear the Hemi is a maintenance nightmare, and the V6 is more in my price range. Transmission is unimportant, manual or auto are both fine. 4x4 is unimportant - but would be nice if in my price range.

Does anyone have a 4 door V6? Does it need an 8? I'm thinking about towing a small camper.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for? It will be the first American made vehicle I will have owned (2 Hondas, 4 VWs, 1 Audi, 1 Nissan, 1 Triumph).

Any known problems?

I appreciate any information that can be given!

16853081063.283728194.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

We have a 2008 Dodge Ram 4x4 4-door at work. It's been a good vehicle. If you want a V-8, you don't have to get the Hemi; the 4.7L is available. I'd highly recommend it over the odd-firing 3.7L V-6 engine. The automatic transmissions are pretty good in those trucks. I'm not fond of the interior styling or material choice (lots of hard plastic), but that's subjective.

Why on earth would anyone call the Hemi a "maintenance nightmare??" Its simpler to service than the 4.7. The 4.7 has its lower 8 sparkplugs buried almost as deeply as a Ford Modular. The Hemi has all 16 right on top. Working on a Hemi is no different than any other smallblock Mopar or a smallblock Chevy (including LSx-series).

Also, the only reason to even consider the 4.7 is if you can get one much cheaper than a Hemi up front. It has less power (310 HP in 2008, less in 2007 and prior) but gets WORSE gas mileage since it doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

That said, I have absolutely nothing against the 4.7, we've got one in a 2008 Ram 1500 quad-cab and its a very nice overall package. It is actually a Hemi shaped combustion chamber too, just OHC instead of pushrod. Twin plugs per cylinder just like the 5.7 Hemi. Its quiet, reliable, and enough power although I wouldn't call it a surplus of power. Its a very well-designed engine- if you look at the engineering on it it has goodies like a structural girdle instead of individual main bearing caps, sintered/cracked connecting rods (pre-08) or forged rods (08-up), etc. The "Tow/Haul" mode in the transmission works very well, and it doesn't even notice a bed full of 1200 lb of crushed granite. We got the 4.7 because in the fall of 08 they were knocking > $10k off of 4.7 Rams to move them off the lot at the height of the latest gas price spike. Otherwise it would have definitely been a 5.7 Hemi in there. The 545RFE transmission is proving out very reliable from what I've read. Its very good about doing its business without making you notice it- its always in a decent gear and doesn't have to go hunting much like some earlier electronic trannies behind smallish v8s in big trucks did.

I agree with Hokiefyd- don't even bother with the 3.7 V6 in a full-size Ram, especially a quad-cab. Its fine in a Dakota, but just not enough engine for a vehicle as heavy as a Ram 1500 quad-cab. You'll have your foot in it so deep that it won't get any better mileage than a 4.7 would.

Thanks for the reply Magnum.

I read on some Dodge forums that the Clutch pack retainer clips on the LSD (c-clip) tend to go out prematurely. Have you had any experience with this? From what I can tell it's limited to transmissions with a Limited slip, since it's part of the way it operates.

I've also read that the Rack & Pinion is known to have internal leakage, as well as ball joints and tie rods failing prematurely.

Have you had any experience with these issues? Should they be deal breakers? The known issues are what is keeping me from wanting a Dodge over a Ford (though they have known transmission issues).

I prefer how the Dodge looks.

Originally Posted By: cryption
I've also read that the Rack & Pinion is known to have internal leakage, as well as ball joints and tie rods failing prematurely.

Typical Chrysler issues in my experience. I've owned two, with more in the family, and their suspension parts are the worst I've seen, in terms of longevity. I've put a half dozen pairs of front sway bar bushings on our '07 T&C, and new tie rod ends, and it's just got 45k miles on it. My '03 Grand Caravan wasn't much better, requiring three pairs of sway bar bushings and a set of end links before we traded it with 76k miles on the odometer.

I read on some Dodge forums that the Clutch pack retainer clips on the LSD (c-clip) tend to go out prematurely. From what I can tell it's limited to transmissions with a Limited slip, since it's part of the way it operates.

the limited slip differential (lsd) is only on the most of optioned vehicles. most are made with the open differentials. so the ones you are looking at may not even have the option!

second the lsd is in the rear differential not the transmission.

lsd option gives the rear end somewhat of a possi traction (both wheels drive). unless you are going off road it will not be needed in tx. mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Magnum.

I read on some Dodge forums that the Clutch pack retainer clips on the LSD (c-clip) tend to go out prematurely. Have you had any experience with this? From what I can tell it's limited to transmissions with a Limited slip, since it's part of the way it operates.

Have you had any experience with these issues? Should they be deal breakers? The known issues are what is keeping me from wanting a Dodge over a Ford (though they have known transmission issues).

I prefer how the Dodge looks.

RE LSD retainers- not enough miles on ours for it to be a problem. A friend has a '94 with>200k, no problems with the rear end, although he's on his 3rd driveshaft center bearing (the newer Rams have a single-piece driveshaft, so no more center bearing anyway). The Chrysler 9.25" axle has been around longer than dinosaurs just like the Ford 8" and GM 10-bolt, and the LSD units are pretty much the industry norm Auburn or Dana/Spicer units so they're not very unique to Dodge trucks.

RE rack-and-pinion- AFAIK they use the same Saginaw rack that GM does, so no way is it a "Dodge" problem whether or not it does happen. I personally think rack-and-pinion steering drives great but fundamentally doesn't last as long as good old recirculating-ball steering boxes did. Fortunately, racks on Dodge trucks are actually pretty easy to replace. A couple of bolts, 2 hoses, and a pickle fork to separate the tie-rod ends and you're done. Dad's Dakota needed that little job at about 190k miles.

Tie-rods and ball joints definitely WERE a problem with the first-generation Ram (94-up) Ram and also with the first-generation Durango, but I think the suspension is fairly different on the 2nd gen Ram. I suspect that a lot of that reputation actually came from the first-gen Ram. Its funny how some "well known problems" actually come from other vehicles! The whole belief that "Chrysler makes lousy transmissions" came from the 90s minivans, for example. At any rate good aftermarket suspension parts were/are available so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

I appreciate the continued input guys! I'm thinking I might get myself a Dodge. I usually only keep a vehicle for a couple years - and it seems like good bang for the buck.

the grand cherokee forums love the 4.7. i know it's a different stress-application but fwiw it's been a popular, favored, and reliable powerplant in that vehicle.

I am not sure who said the 5.7L HEMI is a maintenance nightmare( op or someone else? )but that is absolutely unture. The 5.7L is a very durable and dependable engine. The only difficult thing to do on it is change 4 of the 16 sparkplugs( located at the rear ). They are a pain but overall the engine is durable and dependable.

I have a 2008 Quad Cab 1500 w/ 5.7L HEMI. Love it other than MDS. MDS really does not do much for mileage and makes your exhaust sound awful. I had the exact same truck just an 04 model without MDS and it got better MPG.

No, I would not get a Quad Cab with the V6. I wouldn't get the V6 anyway as the trucks are just too darn heavy. You will be underpowered and your MPG will be no better( actually from what I read from guys with the V6 on the Dodge forums usually worse than the V8's ). IF you go V6 get a Reg Cab short bed 2WD only. The Quad Cab weighs too much.

In 07 the 4.7L only put out 235 HP and 295 FTLBS. It is a decent engine for say the older Durangos or for the Dakota's but IMO, like the V6, it really is underpowered for the weight of the Ram. Especially a Quad Cab. Also, the 4.7L through 2007 is a known sludge monster due to a poor PCV system. They require frequent oil changes to avoid the sludge. Make sure the previous owner did proper maintenance with quality oil!

I had a 2004 Quad Cab 4WD 1500 with the 4.7L and it was really underpowered( by my standards ). The HEMI was not out for the 1500 at that time( bought late 2002 )and I needed a truck so I got the 4.7L. I ended up getting the 04 with the 5.7L about 14 months later and it was a huge difference. Power was more appropriate for the truck and MPG was actually a little better as the engine did not have to work so hard to move that brick on wheels. IF you go with an 07 simply based on power I say get the 5.7L.

In 2008 as 440Magnum posted the 4.7L got an update with new HEMI like heads, a bump in compression, and increased HP/FTLBS. The 08+ 4.7L now puts out 310 HP and 330 FTLBS. Power output is now about equal to the Chevy 5.3L. Much more suited to the heavy Ram. In a 2WD Ram it would be more than sufficient power wise. I would still say the 5.7L is better suited, and especially in a 4WD, but the new 4.7L can get it done.

MPG in the 2008 4.7L Rams is now about the same as the 5.7L instead of being a little worse. They both do about the same for fuel economy now despite MDS for the HEMI ( vastly over rated!!!!! ).

I would say go with a 2007 or 2008 with the HEMI or get a 2008 if you go with a 4.7L. Avoid the 07 4.7L and the V^( entirely ).

The 3rd Generation Dodge Ram's made from 2002-2009( 09 were HD's only )are a very good truck.

Hemi - you give me a lot to think about. I'm looking at this truck - and it's in the price range I want to spend. I just don't think I can afford a Hemi
frown.gif

Does the price of the truck I'm about to post offset the underpowered 4.7?

2007 Big Horn with just under 50k miles. I talked him down to $13,500 out the door.

17331973068.285271630.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

17331973066.285271630.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Truth be told it's near the top of what I can spend. I'm doing this on a whim - and the only way I could convince the wife to trade the current car is if I have a lower payment. I am NOT upside down on my current car. I will have a small down payment after trading my Jetta.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

MPG in the 2008 4.7L Rams is now about the same as the 5.7L instead of being a little worse. They both do about the same for fuel economy now despite MDS for the HEMI ( vastly over rated!!!!! ).

I would say go with a 2007 or 2008 with the HEMI or get a 2008 if you go with a 4.7L. Avoid the 07 4.7L and the V^( entirely ).

The 3rd Generation Dodge Ram's made from 2002-2009( 09 were HD's only )are a very good truck.

NHHEMI makes a very good point, which I intended to make but it didn't come through as clearly- theres a VERY noticeable difference between a 2007 Ram with a 4.7 and a 2008 Ram with a 4.7. That 65 horsepower shot in the arm was very noticeable. You'll want to consider that when looking at used trucks, and realize that smart sellers are going to ask more for an 08 4.7 than an 07, all things being equal otherwise.

Whether MDS on the 5.7 works or not depends a lot on who you talk to. It seems to really work well with some peoples' driving styles, not at all with others. Its useless in city driving, you have to be cruising for it to work. I know people who do a couple mpg better in their 08 5.7s than we do with the 4.7. But lets face it- when you're talking about a vehicle that large, it is NOT a small difference in engine efficiency that you notice. Mileage is totally dominated by weight and aerodynamics. You could put the most efficient engine on the planet in there, and it would still get about the same mileage (our 4.7 knocks down a solid 15.5 to 16 in commuter driving- some freeway, a mostly creep-and-crawl on a congested freeway, and a few blocks of street driving.)

FWIW, If you don't like MDS... it takes a couple of minutes connected to a Diablo engine tuner to get rid of it permanently
wink.gif

Back to the 4.7 (the 310 HP version at any rate)- one thing about it is that its power delivery is different than the Hemi. The Hemi almost feels like an old-school big-block- scads of torque right out of the gate. The 4.7 takes some RPM to really get into its happy zone. Even an old 230 HP 5.9 feels ballsier from a dead stop. But once you're rolling with the 4.7, the power really ramps up fast above 2500 RPM and its still pulling hard when the shift comes at around 6000-6500. Not my ideal truck power curve, but honestly the way the 545RFE tranny manages the shifts and what gear it picks, it works very well in spite of the small displacement. And I honestly have to say that the 4.7 is a very beautiful *sounding* engine. I've always thought it would be very potent package in a midsize rear-drive car about the weight of a Sebring. But its never even been installed in a car at all. Just trucks and Jeeps.

I found an 08 - but it's a base model Quad Cab.

16914447447.283748983.IM1.14.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

with a bleh tan interior

16914447441.283748983.IM1.08.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

16914447444.283748983.IM1.11.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

What would you do in my shoes? Should I wait to see what else is out there?

Part of me wants to drive a 4.7 to see how it does. It's going to be my first 1/2 ton truck - so I don't expect it to be fast. I drive a 2500 gas powered at work

Also, how does the updates 4.7 compare to the less powerful 2.7 when it comes to being reliable? I have the car fax on the vehicle in question and it's had all service (plus a tranny service).

Last edited:
Oh and one more note - I have an Audi A4 with some work done to it as my other car - so speed isn't an issue. I'm just concerned about a reliable truck to put around town in. I'll take the wife's Audi when it's time to go fast or long distance.

Last edited:

Also, how does the updates 4.7 compare to the less powerful 2.7 when it comes to being reliable? I have the car fax on the vehicle in question and it's had all service (plus a tranny service).

Oh, geez. Night and day. Oil and water. Angel and demon. The 2.7 is a notorious POS, the 4.7 is an excellent engine. The early 4.7 did share some of the PCV/sludging issues with the 2.7, but never to the same degree and it never cooked its oil to coke, shredded timing chain tensioners, lost timing chain tension and bent all the valves, etc. which the early 2.7 did routinely.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Oh, geez. Night and day. Oil and water. Angel and demon. The 2.7 is a notorious POS, the 4.7 is an excellent engine. The early 4.7 did share some of the PCV/sludging issues with the 2.7, but never to the same degree and it never cooked its oil to coke, shredded timing chain tensioners, lost timing chain tension and bent all the valves, etc. which the early 2.7 did routinely.

the 2.7L is a car motor! he meant the 3.7L power tech.
the 3.7L powertech is a great motor! it is the 4.7L with 2 less cylinders.

Ah typo on my part. I mean the 2 different 4.7 engines. If it's pulling 65 horses out of the same block - something has to give.

My bad on the typo.

Oh and one more note - I have an Audi A4 with some work done to it as my other car - so speed isn't an issue. I'm just concerned about a reliable truck to put around town in. I'll take the wife's Audi when it's time to go fast or long distance.

If you want a reliable truck, I'd keep doing what you were doing before, and that's not buying domestic...Take a look at the Tundra, or the Ridgeline.
Not trying to start a war or anything, but it's just my opinion.

I have a 2007 Ram Quadcab 4x2 with the 3.7 V6 and the 6 speed manual, the truck does not have much power it's fine on the highway and around town but it's taxed with a load. I get around 16 overall, better on the highway. The truck has been reliable for the most part, I had to replace the front shocks due to a leak in one of them (warranty) other than that it's a good truck. The 3.7 has 215 horsepower and 235 pds torque, nothing to get excited about but it moves it, I think I'd rather have the manual tranny if you go the V6 route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back