zmax,militec, avblend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next oil change I'm going to give zmax a try. Its Pretty pricey but after reading johnnys post, it might be a product worth to try.

i'm wondering if anyone has used z max on firearms? if i bought some for my car, i would be tempted to wipe some on the slides of my semi autos.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
i'm wondering if anyone has used z max on firearms? if i bought some for my car, i would be tempted to wipe some on the slides of my semi autos.

Zmax contains no additives so it would not be a good choice for the boundary conditions on a firearm.

Received the following email this morning. You probably don't know who Randy Ruyle is, but he is highly respected in the racing community and has many years experience with firearms.

To: Ed JR Rachanski
Cc: Johnny Petree
Sent: Thu, Oct 28, 2010 8:04 am
Subject: zMax

I started using zMax in all my personal vehicles and race cars about 15 years ago when I was crew chief and lead mechanic at the Indy 500. I've also been using zMax in all my firearms for the last 10 years as well.

I know that zMax has helped maintain the performance on my guns. I have a 22-250 Rem that has around 6000 rounds fired over the last 10 years and I've consistently wiped zMax into the barrel after each use. I tested the gun using a Chronograph and the gun has not lost any performance in bullet speed after all those rounds.

Also, the zMax removes and cleans the inside of the gun barrel better than anything on the market. I know this because I'll first clean with Hoppe's 9 till the patch is clean, then run a patch with zMax, let it set and zMax takes out even more carbon and lead .

I treat the complete gun ( Except the wood ) with zMax and I've also seen where my guns never rust when I take them out in rain or snow .

I just wanted to share some of my experience with using zMax in guns. So if you never use it how can you talk about it?

Randy Ruyle

Good to know. How does the 22.250 group after 6000 rounds? They are considered by some to be barrel burners, certainly a lot harder on a barrel than .223 for instance.

Quote:
Also, the zMax removes and cleans the inside of the gun barrel better than anything on the market.

Because it has good solvency due to the light base oil. And I bet the same thing would happen if you run that little test in reverse because the chemicals will attack different things.

But I thought the ZMax expert expressly said that it was NOT a solvent???

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It is not a solvent. As you said, it has good solvency due to it being a light base oil.

That is what I said, but the ZMax guy said this was not the case.

I really wish this company would start making up their mind on how this product works and what it is.

All they are doing is spouting a bunch of big words to sound technical but it doesn't add up.

They are consistent in everything I've read and it sums up very simple: its a micro-lubricant that uses oil as the carrier to reach the metal parts, which it then "soaks" into slightly to form a protective surface that disperses carbon and prevents it from building up. That carbon dispersant mechanism of action is the basis for all of the claims they make.

Its really pretty simple and there's nothing difficult to understand about it. The product has been extensively tested in-house and independently verified. The testing, in terms of cost and and degree, is far more extensive than that done on the many additives that get a pass here.

Tempest: we get that its not making sense to you personally. That's fine: nobody is forcing you to buy it and you're fee to spend your money elsewhere. But you're really beating a dead horse by continually re-posting what is essentially the same tired song over and over.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Many light oils are functionally solvents. What's the big deal?

The mere fact that it is approved by the FAA should tell you something.

I am probably going to try it for the first time ever based on the info provided on BITOG.

Gotta love this place.

For anyone who wants to give it a try, AAP is running ZMAX on sale for $19.99 for the 2 bottle set.

Hoppes may be the worst case trial in cleaning ability that I know of in modern firearms if he was using the old hoppes # 9. The newer Hoppes elite is good stuff, the #9 is pretty much a kerosene that does decent only at removing powder fouling... If you want to see that barrel come clean then use wipe out, this is the best cleaning solution for guns that i have ever used, and I have spent hundreds of dollars testing !! I'm sure the zmax is not even touching the copper which is the main issue in a 22-250, and yes even extreme match grade barrel makers like Lilja etc a 22-250 will be shot out after 6000 rounds for all general target purposes, but then again you have to remember that most people are happy with boxstore accuracy of low priced firearms around 3" group... not to say there are not exceptions to the rules in prices=performance when it comes to firearms, but it's few, and far between... I consider accuracy starting at .25" extreme spread at 100 yards, and if I'm sgooting for accuracy I want much less than that !!

Now for this zmaxi stuff I may just have to give it a GO, I'm 99% of the time against any additives.

Quote:
its a micro-lubricant that uses oil as the carrier to reach the metal parts, which it then "soaks" into slightly to form a protective surface that disperses carbon and prevents it from building up.

Can you please point me to the location of your information? There has been no information, that I am aware of, to show:

The size of their molecule vs. oil molecules typically found in motor oil. I asked, and got no response.
Yet, you post here as though their "micro-lubricant" claim is a proven fact.

The auger test supposedly showing that their oil penetrates "deeper" into the metal than normal oil. Or that this oil forms a "film" rejecting further carbon.
Please cite the tribological or chemical method as to how this occurs since you are once again stating this as a given fact.

Please explain to me, since you have so many facts on hand, why this "film" of "micro-lubricant" magically stops working after 6 months.

"My mind is too closed to believe it can work and I refuse to
believe any evidence to the contrary. So, I'll just continue
repeating myself about how it’s impossible and how I don't
get it because I don't want to get it."

Well, the personal insults have come out so I must be hitting pretty close to the mark. Usually happens when people can't answer questions technically, because if they could, the insults wouldn't be needed.

And bye the way, I've just sent Ed a PM asking, yet again, for more of this information and more. It'll be interesting to see if he provides any.

No personal insult intended on my part. I've provided more information on this product than anyone has ever provided on any product on this site, plus have stated on more than one post mine and my families experience with this product and you have done everything but come right out and called me and everyone else that has recommended, tested, or used this product for the past 65+ years a liar. Talk about being insulted.

Here is my recommendation to you. "DO NOT USE THE PRODUCT"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back