How long does OPENED oil last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a few searches but I couldn't find anything. The reason I ask is because I have about half a litre of 4 year old Castrol GTX 5w30 and another half a litre of 5 or 6 year old QS 10w30 conventional. Is it still alright to use? I was thinking of mixing them together and dumping it into my lawnmower.

Oil will last for a long time. Maybe even 2 or 3 long times. Use it, don't worry about it. The only exception is if the bottle has not been well sealed, or has had moisture intrusion. That doesn't sound like the case here, so it's good to go.

Last edited:
It depends where you were keeping it. I'm really weird and keep all my oil inside. If the oil you explained above was going into your vehicle I would get rid of it (at your local recycle:)) Goin into the lawn mower I think I would do if I had it sealed properly.
I say yea

It's been kept in my garage, which is unheated, in their original jugs with the cap tightly closed. So I guess it's safe to use in my lawnmower. I wouldn't have used it in my car anyway, just to be safe (not to mention it requires syn and it's still under warranty).

Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
It's been kept in my garage, which is unheated, in their original jugs with the cap tightly closed. So I guess it's safe to use in my lawnmower. I wouldn't have used it in my car anyway, just to be safe (not to mention it requires syn and it's still under warranty).

You'll be fine.

I just added a qt of SJ Pennzoil to my current fill - 5w20, 20w50, MMO & 5w30. I will no waste oil under any circumstance. I always find a way to use it in some way, shape or form. Most folks would cringe when they saw what I put in my cars.

Most recently, I found a bottle of ten year old, stop smoke oil (very, very thick oil). I blended it out with MMO & 5w20 to thin it out. I then slowly add in w/ my OCI's to use it up.

Why the psychotic drive to use every drop? It's not expensive, and there's no real reason to use the smoke-stop oil at all.

This is crazy on par with my mother-in-law cleaning out and reusing ziploc bags!

Heh, I'm the same way, I don't want to waste anything either (which is why I asked the question in the first place). If it's not hurting anything, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back