Clicking noise from front brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I noticed a soft clicking/tapping noise I can hear when I first step on the brake pedal. It sounds and feels like it is from the front brakes. It almost sounds like the pads are too far away from the rotor and when I press the brake pedal it slams the pad against the surface of the rotor and causes the noise. I hear it at slow speeds, anything over 20 MPH is too loud to hear this noise but it is probably still there then too.

Truck brakes fine, does not pull, chatter, squeal or otherwise have any brake problems. I replaced the front calipers, rotors and pads all back in January with Advance Auto Parts Wearever brand rotors, Wearever Silver pads and Cardone reman calipers.

I have not had time yet to take the wheels off and inspect it. I wonder if the anti-rattle springs are weak now? I used the new springs that came with the calipers. Or maybe the Wearever pads are cheaply made and just don't fit as well now that some of the friction material has worn away (they have about 12,000 miles on them now) and are moving too much and causing this noise?

Anyone else seen/heard this or have any ideas about it? I plan on checking it out in the morning.

Thanks.

I had a shim work itself out once, the noise was similar to what you are describing. Your best bet is to take off the front wheels and have a look, it could also be an anti-rattle clip.

Well I took the wheels off, removed the pads, calipers and anti-rattle springs today. My pads do not have shims. I found nothing wrong, nothing looked out of the ordinary. The anti-rattle springs are fine, no problems with them at all.

I re-greased the caliper slide pins and slide surfaces, and I put a nice coat of caliper grease on the back sides of the pads. I reassembled everything and the click-tap noise is gone now. I will have to drive it on a longer test drive to see if it reappears after the brakes and wheels get hot.

I don't know if I can call this fixing the problem, since I don't know what was wrong with it to start with. For now it's OK though.

So it was one click upon initial application of the brakes?
Not a repetitive clicking while he brakes were on?

Parts may be fine, but a little loose. Your cleaning and greasing is about all you can do.
The caliper is moving a bit, or the pads in their seats. Some pads come tight and have to be filed, and some are too loose from the get go.
Because it was dry and void of lube , you heard a noise sometimes.
I assume you visually looked for worn or broken parts.

Yeah it was just a one time click-tap type noise that happened right when I applied the brakes. I did look for worn and loose parts, the only loose part I found was these Wearever pads seem to have a bit more play in them as they are clipped into the caliper than other pads I have used on my truck. The Duralast pads I put on my girlfriend's Honda Accord a couple of months ago clipped in nice and tight and have never had any noise or squealing problems. If this noise comes back I may just try a set of Duralast pads on my truck.

If the pads have shim clips that they ride on [edges], you can take up clearance by using a shim UNDER the clip on original ones.

What to use? Some sort of steel sheet metal that is cut to a perfect fit. Stainless is best.

Function? The same, just with a tighter fit.

Thanks. I drove it around town yesterday on errands and to work today, the noise is gone, for now at least. If it comes back I will look at shims or possibly a different brand of brake pads.

For now, I will just leave well enough alone. I am just glad it didn't cost me anything but some time and a little caliper grease to fix the noise.

Thanks for the help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back