grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of grease do I need to lube all my vehicles suspension parts? I was looking at advance auto and they have have valvoline and mobil 1. I'm looking to do my three vehicles below; tie rods, ball joints, idler arms, etc.

Whats available:

Coastal All-Purpose Grease - $3.99
Valvoline General Multipurpose - $3.99
Valvoline durablend multipurpose - $5.49
Valvoline synpower multipurpose - $6.99
Mobil 1 synthetic grease - $7.99

I've really never greased any of the zerks but I guess now is a better time than any. How do you know when youve put enough grease in? Its not like the old grease evaporates...

Thanks.

From those choices i would use the Valvoline synpower.
I had a similar question a short time ago and ordered Schaeffer's Ultra Supreme (#238) for $5 a tube.

You want a grease rated as GC-LB, most likely in a grade #2. If I lived in Va Beach I would look up Pugh Oil Company in Suffolk and get a line on Kendall SHP #2. Kendall® SHP Grease is a premium quality, multipurpose, extreme-pressure (EP) calcium sulfonate grease specially developed for use in industrial and automotive equipment operating in wet or corrosive environments. It is particularly recommended for equipment exposed to water contamination, saltwater corrosion and/or high temperatures.

If your equipment is not subjected to the above, then I'd recommend the Mobil 1 grease as the best lithium complex grease on your list.

Most fittings will have a relief port that grease will ooze out of or it will ooze around the boot fittings. Pump until you see a little ooze and stop. Grease will oxidize and separate over time which is why you need to regrease.

Any grease is better than no grease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back