Whats the best oil for a high mileage vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jordan87777
Hey guys, I am just curious about what you guys use the most and why...thanks...

Unless it's burning a good amount of oil more than it's 'supposed' to, stick to reg oil.

If your seals are good and your car doesn't burn oil, just stick to regular oil.

My favorite HM oil is M1 HM 10W-30

Whatever weight oil the owners manual tells you in your favorite brand.

My '99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor with 182,000 miles was designed to use 5w-30, backspeced by Ford to use 5w-20, and I am currently running Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (PYB). I have used Motorcraft 5w-20 synblend in the past.

Depends on you car ... does it have specific problems that could be addressed by HM oil. The new Pennzoil bronze bottle 5w-30 runs well in the Forester ...

Last edited:
I use Pennzoil HM or valvoline HM with great succcess for minor oil leaks due to dry seals and also oil burning....It is also blended on the thicker side with more anti wear additives as i understand it...I use it in the summer and they both work well..

I'm using 5w-30 Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic blend in a 2000 Grand Am (2.4 liter) with 118,000 miles on it, with excellent results.

I've used it since it was purchased with 78,000 miles on it. I don't know what oil the previous owner used in it.

Originally Posted By: coffee
I was using syn on my Volvo with 372k miles on it so I am not sure HM is necessary. Use whatever oil you want to.
Doug Hillary mentioned that engines that were fed syn did not have seal/gasket problems according to his rich experience with various fleet tests and studies. If you want to be pro-active and at the same time avoid (for whatever reason) HM oils I would add a bottle of Red Line here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back