Amsoil 0w-30 7,500 miles.. Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Then replace the head gasket! There's the solution! Lots of work too, and costly if the lab screwed up. The reason I suggested the pressure test more than once is because labs have been wrong in the past. I thought maybe someone might have read between the lines. The OP topped up coolant 6 weeks ago and said it was good last he checked. Slight chance the coolant is leaking on the outside and he's not seeing it, and again the lab could be wrong. Pressure testing is like getting a second opinion that's all.

Read some of the screwed up UOA reports and see for yourself. Pressure testing is fool proof, and if the lab is wrong it will save a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$. That TBN is high too for the amount of time the oil was in use. Could be a mistake too, lots of reasons why it might be high, no real facts though.

No argument here, just calling it like I see it. If I had to guess its a bad head gasket, but I'd be dammmmmmm sure before I started ripping into an engine.

Upon rereading your post, I read it wrong. I thought you were trying to "detect" a coolant leak, like MAYBE that was the problem. But you were trying to "confirm" a coolant leak before ripping the engine apart.

We in agreement on that!
cheers3.gif

Something else to consider is that if this is a warranty situation the dealer isn't likely to repair a head gasket based solely on a UOA. A UOA plus failure of the pressure test would be much more convincing.

Which lab did this analysis? Did the lab include any comments?

Thanks,

REDDOG

No problem Tinman.
10.gif
It was to late for me to edit my post and add that no dealership is going to take a customers UOA as proof of anything. They're going to do their own testing, and in this case a pressure test. That combined with the UOA will be about as good as it gets, as REDDOG's comments indicate.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Bad1 - did the lab report have any words, anything, about coolant or antifreeze?

What section is that? what letters are used to signify antifreeze???

No problem Tinman.
10.gif
It was to late for me to edit my post and add that no dealership is going to take a customers UOA as proof of anything. They're going to do their own testing, and in this case a pressure test. That combined with the UOA will be about as good as it gets, as REDDOG's comments indicate.

Is head gaskets covered under warranty??

It is 3yrs old and 42000mls/70.000kms on her.

Then replace the head gasket! There's the solution! Lots of work too, and costly if the lab screwed up. The reason I suggested the pressure test more than once is because labs have been wrong in the past. I thought maybe someone might have read between the lines. The OP topped up coolant 6 weeks ago and said it was good last he checked. Slight chance the coolant is leaking on the outside and he's not seeing it, and again the lab could be wrong. Pressure testing is like getting a second opinion that's all.

Read some of the screwed up UOA reports and see for yourself. Pressure testing is fool proof, and if the lab is wrong it will save a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$. That TBN is high too for the amount of time the oil was in use. Could be a mistake too, lots of reasons why it might be high, no real facts though.

No argument here, just calling it like I see it. If I had to guess its a bad head gasket, but I'd be dammmmmmm sure before I started ripping into an engine.

No, you sound off all you like, you make perfect sense to me, thank you for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Thanks! Glad I make sense, at least sometimes. IIRC HG are covered under a warranty, in fact I'm almost positive. They were in 2003 when I left car sales. They can easily determine if they are bad with a pressure tester and a few minutes time.

Originally Posted By: BAD1
Bad1 - did the lab report have any words, anything, about coolant or antifreeze?

Coolant,glycol, antifreeze, etc.... I was just wondering if the lab mentioned this.

Coolant,glycol, antifreeze, etc.... I was just wondering if the lab mentioned this.

Yes I think they did, but it is also measured in a high silicon reading as well right???
Also it is funny the antifreeze level dropped and it is in the oil maybe but I am not assuming it is the HG I will get a pressure test first.
Thanks! Glad I make sense, at least sometimes. IIRC HG are covered under a warranty, in fact I'm almost positive. They were in 2003 when I left car sales. They can easily determine if they are bad with a pressure tester and a few minutes time.

Yes you do/did make sense and I truly will be checking into warranty for a HG if it ends up being in fact the problem.

Last edited:
So in light of other contaminants in the oil there really isn't any point in using OSS is there one might as well just use XL because if the numbers are high after 7500 miles and it costs you 30 dollars to get it tested what are you really saving, because the oil has to be changed any way, yes this time I may or may not have a antifreeze leak into the oil, and this maybe have found this out, but the other stuff would be fixed with a oil change right?? so if I can't use the oil over meaning after the Anallise keep the old oil in then I might as well use XL instead of OSS.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not sure what exactly you are saying, but if you aren't going to fix the HG, then using a long drain oil makes zero sense.

You can't evaluate any oil for extended OCI's with a HG leak.

Not sure what exactly you are saying, but if you aren't going to fix the HG, then using a long drain oil makes zero sense.

You can't evaluate any oil for extended OCI's with a HG leak.

No, I will deferentially have it in to get the coolant leak looked at be it HG or what ever, hope it is what ever it would be cheaper. But I have had two tests now and the silcon is high on both and this one has antifreeze, I am just wondering the XL would be just as good of oil if one is changing at 7500 miles any way be because they have to or not. Meaning that is when the oil should be any way.

I got this from the Asmoil site on the XL. they say it could go longer as well?? or am I reading it wrong??

AMSOIL Extended Life Synthetic Motor Oils provide peace of mind. The oil drain interval recommendations for many of today’s vehicles extend well beyond the traditional 3,000-mile interval, some up to 12,000 miles with electronic oil monitoring systems. And unlike petroleum oils that have 3,000-mile maximum recommendations, AMSOIL XL Oils provide 7,500-mile/six-month drain intervals or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by oil life monitoring systems. When using AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils, protection and performance are not sacrificed with longer drain intervals.

Last edited:
That is fine logic - really no need for SSO for 7500 mile OCI's. In fact the new XL oils are rated to 10K miles.

Sold.......
33.gif

I think that is what I will be using in the future from now on, thanks for the heads up Pablo.

That is fine logic - really no need for SSO for 7500 mile OCI's. In fact the new XL oils are rated to 10K miles.

Sold.......
33.gif

I think that is what I will be using in the future from now on, thanks for the heads up Pablo.

I had the car in today, to be checked for the coolant in the oil, the mechanic pressurized the cooling system and found no H/G leak, so he was mentioning about sending in the head to be magnafluxed and the head surfaced, as he thought it might be a cracked head. we asked what might be the price for all this, and he said $2000.00 which I said WOW that is a big pill to swallow, so what he is going to do is re gasket it, and then re torque it change the oil and run it for a while and take another sample, hoping this Is going to help or not, I am hoping it will.

Sold.......
33.gif

I had the car in today, to be checked for the coolant in the oil, the mechanic pressurized the cooling system and found no H/G leak, so he was mentioning about sending in the head to be magnafluxed and the head surfaced, as he thought it might be a cracked head. we asked what might be the price for all this, and he said $2000.00 which I said WOW that is a big pill to swallow, so what he is going to do is re gasket it, and then re torque it change the oil and run it for a while and take another sample, hoping this Is going to help or not, I am hoping it will.

BUMP

Sold.......
33.gif

BUMP

Well got my car back today, he changed the oil (I supplied it XL 5W30)and re torqued the head bolts, will see if this helps, put a few miles on her and do another oil Analise, see if the coolant is still getting in.

He is saying it could be a cracked head.???

Last edited:
Did he do a cooling system pressure test?

Yes, that is how he determined it wasn't a HG.

Did he do a cooling system pressure test?

Yes, that is how he determined it wasn't a HG.

Other than pressure testing, what else is there to find out how water is getting into the oil???

Other than pressure testing, what else is there to find out how water is getting into the oil???

If someone used a funnel for the oil that was wasn't clean (i.e. - previously used to add coolant) that might have been enough to cause this. Also, any used containers that were used to add oil.

That TBN doesn't make sense. If there is coolant contamination, the TBN commonly gets hit. I suspect a typo.

Originally Posted By: slalom44

If someone used a funnel for the oil that was wasn't clean (i.e. - previously used to add coolant) that might have been enough to cause this. Also, any used containers that were used to add oil.

That TBN doesn't make sense. If there is coolant contamination, the TBN commonly gets hit. I suspect a typo.

Thanks slalom44 for the in put on this, I like the sound of both those for reasons, not that it has happened that way, but better that than the alternatives if you follow. Well I have changed the oil topped up the coolant, now we will put a few clicks/miles on it, and see if it does the same, and the oil was changed at a different place this time. How many miles before I could get a good reading on the oil, if it is contaminated??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back