PureOne PL14459 Cut Open (Pixs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very thorough job, and crystal clear pics.

I have a Classic in the same filter with a 6k OCI. Just draining it now. Will cut open and post pics soon, though not as professional a job as this, I'm sure.

Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Very thorough job, and crystal clear pics.

I'm using an old Fuji E550 digital camera that must be about 5 years old now ... still does a good job though (why I've never bought a newer one yet), plus those photo's were reduced in size for the board posting.

Some added photos.

Did some more dissection on the PL14459. Cut the media off the center core so I could flatten it out and look for debris. With a strong light and a 10X magnifying glass you would be amazed on the small pieces of debris gets trapped in the fold of the media that touches the center core. Couldn't really tell what the particles were, but looked like cam-chain tensioner material (maybe) and a few small flakes of aluminum (I think). Not worried about it.

Here is a shot of the top end plate with the bypass valve. The bypass valve is simply a round, flat piece of hard phenolic like material (I originally thought it was hard rubber, but it's not) that is pushed against a seat in the end cap by the coil spring. Can't get much simpler than this.
DSCF6063-a.jpg

The bypass valve opened up. I'm pushing it open with a metal rod.
DSCF6069-a.jpg

Shot of the end cap on the base end. Note how the media is permanently glued to the end caps. I had to tear the media to get it out, and it never separated from the end caps.

DSCF6062-a.jpg

Here is the one thing I noticed on this filter that I'm not sure is "by design" or if it was a manufacturing error. In the photo above, you can see there is no black glue on the very end of the center tube. That end of the center tube (end that mates with the end cap containing the bypass valve) was just mated to the end cap, but not securely glued to it like the other end was. The glue ring around the bypass valve end also showed no signs of being touched by the end of the center core.

I'm wondering if the media was a little long and when the end caps were put together that the media prevented that end of the center core to not engage the black glue. This could also explain why the pleats were warped, because the pleat length between end caps was a hair too long IMO.

Anyway, this did not compromise the filtering of the filter since there was no way any un-filtered oil could have got by the media.

Maybe I'll send this thread link to Purolator Tech Dept and see what they say ... maybe it's designed to be this way, but doesn't seem right IMO.

Excellent pic of bypass. I will take a close look at my L14459 to see if the observations match. Afraid now my pics will pale in comparison, but I'll give it a shot.

Nice! I bought 4 Pureone's but went in another direction because of the "low" flow accusation that can cause build-up/blockage.

Ok, so i've been a little paranoid in the last 24 hours, since i bought 9 Purolator Premium + Classics. I bought these instead of PureOne's to save a little $, but after doing some research, i've seen some rumors on the internet that say the Premium + has or have been using paper end caps? Is this true? Was it temporary thing? Another reason why i bought PP+ is because i do short OCIs. (4,000)

Originally Posted By: BLKTIGR55
Nice! I bought 4 Pureone's but went in another direction because of the "low" flow accusation that can cause build-up/blockage.

PureOne filters are not flow restrictive ... at least the yellow PureOnes. Not sure about the old blue version ... might have been more so.

Ok, so i've been a little paranoid in the last 24 hours, since i bought 9 Purolator Premium + Classics. I bought these instead of PureOne's to save a little $, but after doing some research, i've seen some rumors on the internet that say the Premium + has or have been using paper end caps? Is this true? Was it temporary thing? Another reason why i bought PP+ is because i do short OCIs. (4,000)

ALL Purolator Classics have metal end caps ... I have never seen or heard anything to say otherwise.

Quote:
i've seen some rumors on the internet that say the Premium + has or have been using paper end caps?
Can't say what they were 20 years ago or all their history, but I know of NO Purolator/Purolator made filters, that now have fiber endcaps.

Quote:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=335257
On that thread I see one poster on a 5+ year old thread saying he cut one open 2 years prior and it had fiber endcaps. The original Minimopar filter study/dissection dates to 1999 and shows metal endcaps on Purolator filters.
21.gif

AFAIK, all metal endcaps now.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

PureOne filters are not flow restrictive ... at least the yellow PureOnes. Not sure about the old blue version ... might have been more so.

ALL Purolator Classics have metal end caps ... I have never seen or heard anything to say otherwise.

Yes Purolator Premium Plus L34875 for Mopar Severe service from Russ Knize's 1999 study.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/mopar.html

Scroll down to last picture about 3/4 down and you will see it as well as specs (listed below also) that specify cardboard end caps.

Purolator Premium Plus L34875
Average Retail Price $7.00
Overall Filter Length ? inches
Overall Filter Diameter ? inches
Cartridge Length 4.10 inches
Cartridge Outside Diameter 3.20 inches
Cartridge Inside Diameter 1.63 inches
Cartridge Pleats 50
Cartridge End Cap Type Cardboard
Anti-Drainback Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm
Bypass Valve Type Nitrile rubber diaphragm (same piece)
Element Type Paper media, glued seam
Element Length 76 inches
Element Width 4.0 inches
Element Surface Area 304 square inches
Shell Thickness 0.015 inches
Backplate Thickness 0.14 inches
Gasket Type Nitrile rubber

Yes it seems, based on the pic, that at one time, the Puro Prem+ did have fiber endcaps. It seems that the very early 'knizefamily' part of the dissection dates back to 96.

The 1999 part of the study which starts "One weekend in early February of 1999" shows the Purolators with metal endcaps. So sometime before 99 at least some had fiber endcaps as best I can figure. Based on the 99 dissection the Purolator had metal endcaps, as it shows a 99 version of the Purolator with such.

But congrats on finding a Puro with fiber endcaps, and further props to Puro for improving the product. But, to answer the one posters's question, no Purolator filters are now made with fiber endcaps. Honeywell now appears to have the market cornered on that design.

Nice job on the PL14559. Cut open a Pure One PL24651 off my Grand Marquis the other day, with about 5500 miles on it. The can was jammed a bit so I used a screwdriver to pry it off the baseplate, and in the process I tore the ADBV. I then tried tearing the ADBV with my bare hands and I was surprised how easily it tore. The red silicone is very thin, flexible, and seals very well, so I suppose this lack of tear strength is not a real concern, but I throw it out there for thought and discussion.

Originally Posted By: mimelio
filter-mopar-severe-compare.jpg

Purolator Premium Plus L34875 with CARDBOARD end caps vintage 1999

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/mopar.html

I went to find the present Purolator Classic L34875 to verify it's present construction. It was not in stock so I contacted Purolator here was response.

Subject filter L34875 has metal end caps.

Kind Regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Mike Bryson

Manager, Heavy Duty Product Engineering | Purolator Filters NA LLC

3200 Natal St. | Fayetteville, NC 28306

Phone: 910-426-4231

[email protected] www.pureoil.com

KEEP IT PURE

You're allowed to cut open filters in the kitchen?!

Excellent report. You got it bang on with respect to the wavy media. Just not lined up right, and obviously too long.

Originally Posted By: webfors
You're allowed to cut open filters in the kitchen?!

lol.gif
... it's warmer in the kitchen.
thumbsup2.gif

Great write up with excellent pics. I have a few PL14459s in the garage waiting for me and I've used countless numbers of them. I will continue to use them without a thought and recommended pureones to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back