Safe Fuel Additive for Carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have an older Toyota with a carbureted engine.
I have heard that the current fuel additives available now might harm the gaskets in the carburetor.

Is there a brand or type that would be safe for carburetors.
Sorry if this question has come up before, but I couldn't find anything through the search.

Is MMO safe for carburetors and would that be an option?

Thanks in advance,

Jabe

My father always used GUMOUT fuel Injector cleaner. I just looked up the FAQ on the site to be sure but it says it is safe and effective for carbureted as well as FI engines.

Indeed! Try one of the Fuel System Cleaners(FSC) that are recomended here at Bob's. A FSC that mentions, "safe for all fuel systems". I have used Gumout Regane and Chevron Techron in my '80 Firebird FORMULA 4BBL V8. But, regularly I use Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) with each tank. This engine loves MMO! I have only used a FSC a few times ever though. I wouldn't imagine the one dose of FSC would harm the gaskets in the carb while it's cleaning. Older carb'd engines in my experience seem to run better and more consistant with MMO. My brother-in-law, who has been working on, tearing down and rebuilding outboard boat motors and small engines for over 40 years, swears by MMO.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
MMO

+1 Use a good carb cleaner first, then add MMO. Just ask c3po how is close to 400,000 mile El Camino started running after adding MMO to the gas. It kept his carb clean and cut down on adjustments once he got it dialed in.

My 83 Prelude used to love Techron Concentrate. It had Keihin dual CV carburetors. Within 50 miles after putting Techron, the car used to get more aggressive personality. Regane was not available at that time.

MMO is great stuff and I use it religously in everything.
Id you want something that is more of a cleaner than an upper cylinder lube try Seafoam

I'd think Seafoam or MMO should be "safe" seeing as how they are/were manufacturered, tried, and tested "years ago" - in the prime of carburetors.....?

And from what I've read, their formulas haven't changed much over the years....both are very light oils (Seafoam I think may be lighter weight than MMO.....) which seems "safe" for seals....the oil acts as a sort of "carrying agent" rather than a harsh chemical induced directly through the delicate areas of the system)....

They should all be safe when used as directed.....MMO can be used 2-4 oz per gallon of fuel....whereas Seafoam is 1 oz per gallon of fuel, and every 2-5k (for Seafoam) or every tank for MMO....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back