Castrol Edge 5W-30- 4018 miles 2003 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a great report in my opinion. TBN seens very low for a short amount of time. 50/50 Highway and city driving.

Silicon has actually increased a bit after a shorter oil change interval than what we saw last time, so we
suggest inspecting your engine's air filtration system for leaks. Wear has improved, so we can't call the above average
copper and lead a problem in this report. The flashpoint test found a trace of fuel, which is not a problem level and
should disappear next time. The viscosity was fine for a 5W/30 oil. The TBN showed some active additive remaining at
2.6. Continue running about 4,000 miles on the oil while we keep an eye on the excess wear levels. Caution

Miles on oil- 4018 miles
Miles on unit- 82,854
Make up oil- 0 quarts

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 2
IRON 5
COPPER 42
LEAD 15
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 93
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 13
SILICON 26
SODIUM 9
CALCIUM 2799
MAGNESIUM 148
PHOSPHORUS 617
ZINC 740
BARIUM 0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 57.8
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 9.58
Flashpoint in °F 365
Fuel % TR
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 2.6
TAN
ISO Code

My air filter is pretty new so my assumption for the high silicon reading is a leak from the intake manifold gasket.

The lead and copper scream at me. The high silicon readings are a familiar issue with that Toyota 4 cylinder. I went to OEM air filters to bring mine down.
What has the history been for that engine? Usually those are pretty durable boxes that give good UOAs on most oils.

That FP is low for a synthetic, this is probably the stuff they sucked off of the Louisianna beaches a few months ago. I hope these oils are not an omen to SN/GF-5. The new Valvoline samples are not so hot either. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
The lead and copper scream at me. The high silicon readings are a familiar issue with that Toyota 4 cylinder. I went to OEM air filters to bring mine down.
What has the history been for that engine? Usually those are pretty durable boxes that give good UOAs on most oils.

I've always used Mobil 1 with a 5k oci before I started different other brands of synthetics.

thats the problem. I don't like Mobil 1 in toyota engine.

my roommate have 2009 matrix. mobil 1 full synthetic.
my brother have 2008 4runner. mobil 1 full synthetic.

oil are black about 5,000 miles. mostly highway miles. I personally prefer castrol syntec. so castrol syntec for the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
thats the problem. I don't like Mobil 1 in toyota engine.

oil are black about 5,000 miles.

Don't know if you saw this, but here's an M1 UOA for an '04 Corolla/1ZZFE w/7K+ miles, posted back in late-August:

Very good numbers.

BTW: I wouldn't get hung up on the oil "color" test; it's only slightly more accurate than tasting it.

here is my castrol edge on a 2zz matrix

Castrol edge 5w30 latest test
oil from Walmart
5qt jug for $26.50+tax

Blackstone labs messed up on the date it should be 2010 not 2009 on the last sample but just look at the milage
at 104,xxx is my latest test and the first w/Castrol Edge 5w30
all the other test were done w/Amsoil 0w30 oil

Last edited:
Both the first and last report seem to share two things in common: oil in both sheared to a 20 weight, and the flashpoint in both is pretty low. Edge is not looking very appealing to me. I have some Syntec to try next winter, I'm hoping it fares better.

-Spyder

Pricy oils for a 5,000 mile oil changes. Seems you are not getting any advantages for extra $$$$ you are spending on the syn oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back