Castrol 70w Mororcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 20 years ago, on my first bike, a 91 Suzuki GS500E, I was using the above mentioned oil. I knew no better, it said motorcycle oil on it, and I was 18. I ran it year round, but when the first winter came around, the starter motor would turn, but the engine would not. I used to have to push start it when it was cold out. Something eventually worked it's way loose, and trashed the motor, but was replaced under warranty. Anyone remember this oil from back then? I can't find anything online about it. I was buying it from a long gone auto store called Trak Auto.

My BIL used to use it on his 77 Harley instead of, you know, fixing the shot seals.

Back in the day when I had a '48 Panhead I used 70 wt oil. Mostly because it leaked slower the the 50 wt. I don't know of any mfgr that calls for or recommends a 70 wt. The thickest Harley recommends is 60 wt. But if you have a oil burner. or low oil pressure, or a leaker I guess it'll work.,,

Here is a modern example
KH-70.jpg

Now under what circumstances would someone run 70 weight in a street cycle? The Castrol bottle at the time actually had a picture of a sportbike on it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back