zmax = engine damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, demarpaint-a 5 quart bottle of Pennzoil conventional costs about a third less than ONE BOTTLE of that Synlube miracle stuff! I can do frequent oil changes with the Pennzoil and get better engine protection and spend about the same or less than trying to go 50,000 miles using the 'miracle' stuff!

Originally Posted By: Mystic
It depends on where you live in Colorado. In southeastern Colorado it usually does not get too cold. Other parts of Colorado get a lot colder. The coldest I have ever seen is 28 below zero. But that is rare. A woman who cut my hair yesterday moved from Alaska to Colorado. She said that she experienced 40 below zero in Alaska waiting for a bus. She said that she had lived in Valdez (I think it is called) Alaska.

Some people here have worried about MMO thinning out the oil too much. But I figure it will not matter too much in the wintertime.

I have been using Pennzoil Ultra. There are some people saying that Walmart may stop carrying it. I am thinking about just going back to Pennzoil conventional. It is still supposed to keep the engine clean and I like to change the oil often anyway. A 5 quart container of the Pennzoil conventional is only about $12.00 or so at Walmart.

I still have a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 HM 5W30. I ran the Pennzoil Ultra for quite a while and it got cool and I think the Mobil 1 HM is a thicker oil. So I will save it for next summer.

CO is one beautiful state Mystic! You won't go wrong with PYB, I used is exclusively in many vehicles over the years. Used as directed MMO isn't going to thin your oil much. For those who worry a few things come to mind. Use a pint for the last 1000 miles of the OCI, or go up a grade in viscosity, or my favorite, use it for a winter cleaning. It gets cold enough where you live for you to benefit from the easier starts. I live on Long Island, have a Bitog buddy in MD we can tell a difference in cold starts with it. You'll see for yourself if you use it this winter.

Hey, demarpaint-a 5 quart bottle of Pennzoil conventional costs about a third less than ONE BOTTLE of that Synlube miracle stuff! I can do frequent oil changes with the Pennzoil and get better engine protection and spend about the same or less than trying to go 50,000 miles using the 'miracle' stuff!

LOL lets not even go there, its been quiet here, the shills are gone! More frequent oil changes will clean and protect far better than a 50,000 mile OCI on the "miracle' stuff for sure, and certainly keep an engine cleaner. The only way to keep an engine clean is to get the contaminants out, letting them sit in the sump and circulate doesn't do an engine any good.
27.gif

I would use Amsoil before I used that Synlube stuff. And recently I heard that Amsoil is going to have 'extended use' products. Can you imagine? The current Amsoil oils are supposed to last 25,000 or even 35,000 miles. How long will their 'extended use' products be good for?

I may be old fashioned but I like the idea of changing oil frequently. It just makes more sense to me, especially where I live where there is dust and you can go from 100 degree temperatures in the summer to below zero in the wintertime. I checked recently and Pennzoil conventional oil was selling in 5 quart containers at Walmark for about $12.00. That is hard to beat.

I am kind of interested in giving that Kreen product a try. But I hate to order stuff and I would rather buy stuff locally. So I will probably use MMO this winter. I am also interest in the Lubromoly stuff that I would use after cleaning the engine with MMO, but I can't find it at the local NAPA store.

I would use Amsoil before I used that Synlube stuff. And recently I heard that Amsoil is going to have 'extended use' products. Can you imagine? The current Amsoil oils are supposed to last 25,000 or even 35,000 miles. How long will their 'extended use' products be good for?

I may be old fashioned but I like the idea of changing oil frequently. It just makes more sense to me, especially where I live where there is dust and you can go from 100 degree temperatures in the summer to below zero in the wintertime. I checked recently and Pennzoil conventional oil was selling in 5 quart containers at Walmark for about $12.00. That is hard to beat.

I am kind of interested in giving that Kreen product a try. But I hate to order stuff and I would rather buy stuff locally. So I will probably use MMO this winter. I am also interest in the Lubromoly stuff that I would use after cleaning the engine with MMO, but I can't find it at the local NAPA store.

I think Amsoil makes some good products. In fact they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Synlube IMO.

Now they want to extend extended drains? I'll pass. The Toyota filters, problems with Honda filters, and the smaller size filters not lasting as they originally thought they would, no thanks. I realize we are talking oil here and not filters, but even so. It took field use to determine the filters weren't up to task, not the lab. I'd hate to find out two years later that a filter or oil I was using for extended, extended drains now has a TSB on it, and some users had problems with it. Engines are expensive, oil and filters are cheap.

Then issuing TSB's, and hoping everyone that has a product in question reads the TSB, yikes. Certain instances or conditions that warrant a different interval tells me something. It tells me extended drains aren't for all vehicles, or drivers. I'd rather play it safe, follow the OM severe service interval and sleep a little better at night. Over the life of a vehicle the few extra oil changes I make isn't going to keep me from retiring any sooner.

Now for the guy that drives 30,000 highway miles a year under good conditions. Amsoil is for him! But I'd still change the oil at 15,000 miles, and feel warm and fuzzy.

I better suit up, and get ready to get flamed. BTW Mystic we seem to be in agreement, old fashioned to a point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back