Slick 50 Question.....??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found several bottles of Slick 50 in one of my cabinets. Two are Synthetic, 1 non syn, 3 dealer bottles (15oz I think), a 2 cycle eng. spray and a trans. additive. I'd like to use them up (probably not the trans. one), will I be doing any harm?

No good will come by using them, and it could very well hurt your engine. Do not use them, throw them away. It has been proven, and the FTC agrees, that the PTFE additives are not good.

Originally Posted By: Quadrasteer
....several bottles of Slick 50 in one of my cabinets. Two are Synthetic....

Now I've read everything.

Just huck them. Properly. That junk just isn't even fit to burn as bunker oil.

Depending on their age, they are safe to use. Slick 50 has not used PTFE in many, many years. It is just motor oil with some additional additives. Even the PTFE version will not harm a thing.

BTW Slick 50 is still being sold. Slick 50

Originally Posted By: hate2work
No good will come by using them, and it could very well hurt your engine. Do not use them, throw them away. It has been proven, and the FTC agrees, that the PTFE additives are not good.

+1

I would not even think about using them.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Depending on their age, they are safe to use. Slick 50 has not used PTFE in many, many years. It is just motor oil with some additional additives. Even the PTFE version will not harm a thing.

BTW Slick 50 is still being sold. Slick 50

These probably have PTFE, back in the day when I used them I never had (or heard of )any problems, just wasn't the snake oil cure all that it was advertised as. As far as the other opinions go, what could it harm? I'd be using it with 4 or 5 qts. of a good synthetic oil.

The chance that it is going to do something beneficial: 0.
The chance that it is going to do something non-beneficial: not 0.

Thus, throw away.

Last edited:
Found this here,

http://www.xs4all.nl/~chris/slick50.html

"The problem with putting PTFE in your oil, as explained to us by several industry experts, is that PTFE is a solid. The additive makers claim this solid "coats" the moving parts in an engine (though that is far from being scientifically proven). Slick 50 is currently [1994] both the most aggressive advertiser and the most popular seller, with claims of over 14 million treatments sold. However, such solids seem even more inclined to coat non-moving parts, like oil passages and filters. After all, if it can build up under the pressures and friction exerted on a cylinder wall, then it stands to reason it should build up even better in places with low pressures and virtually no friction.

This conclusion seems to be borne out by tests on oil additives containing PTFE conducted by the NASA Lewis Research Center, which said in their report, "In the types of bearing surface contact we have looked at, we have seen no benefit. In some cases we have seen detrimental effect. The solids in the oil tend to accumulate at inlets and act as a dam, which simply blocks the oil from entering. Instead of helping, it is actually depriving parts of lubricant."

Remember, PTFE in oil additives is a suspended solid. Now think about why you have an oil filter on your engine. To remove suspended solids, right? Right. Therefore it would seem to follow that if your oil filter is doing its job, it will collect as much of the PTFE as possible, as quickly as possible. This can result in a clogged oil filter and decreased oil pressure throughout your engine.

What could it harm? THAT'S the criteria you're going to use when considering something to put in your crankcase?
21.gif

The funny thing about PTFE is that it melts at something like 650°F. That's pretty much above the flash point of most every motor oil. So it's a pretty safe bet that it will not coat any surface in your engine with a super slippery/ T-Fal pan coating of Teflon.

I'm of the opinion that the solid PTFE "dust" just collects itself in the places that might have some sludge in your engine. (if it doesn't just pack up the filter)If not I sure it doesn't stay in suspension and forms it's own sludge on the bottom of the pan

Fram used to (still may have) a filter that released PTFE "dust" so the particles may actually be small enough to not clog a filter. But I still don't see it doing anything.

If the spray is the spray lubricant? I liked that stuff. little thicker than 3 in 1. Decent household oil.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

What could it harm? THAT'S the criteria you're going to use when considering something to put in your crankcase?
21.gif

I once asked myself the same question with week-old meat I'd forgotten about in the fridge. It looked ok and smelled ok, but was past the expiration date by a few days. As soon as I started cooking it the smell changed.

I'm not a rich man, but $5 worth of meat, while wasteful, won't break the bank if I toss it. Along the lines of a previous post: chance of tossing the meat (w/ plenty of other choices in the fridge) hurting me: 0. Chance of eating the meat causing problems: not 0

The point it's taking me forever to make: if it's super old stuff, toss it. If it's the newer snake oil, use a small amount of it at a time - maybe for top-offs - if you want.

I'd use it for top up oil in a beater. Tossing it IMO is a waste especially if you have to buy top up oil. Figure the cost of tossing the Slick 50 equals how much a qt of top up oil would be costing you. Now if you don't have a beater find someone who does and give it to him, or as mentioned sell it on Ebay.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd use it for top up oil in a beater. Tossing it IMO is a waste especially if you have to buy top up oil. Figure the cost of tossing the Slick 50 equals how much a qt of top up oil would be costing you. Now if you don't have a beater find someone who does and give it to him, or as mentioned sell it on Ebay.

+1. No sense throwing it out when people will buy it and it still can be used as a top up - even if you just throw it in your lawn mower.

I love when people bring up OLD information and try to pass it off as new, i.e. PTFE and the FTC information. PTFE is no longer in Slick 50 and the FTC stuff is at least 10 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back