Schaeffers 15w40 CI-4 +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody,
Here is a copy of a UOA for my 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel. My first sample was pulled at 4624 miles with the Schaeffers oil and was unsure of what kind of oil the previous owner was using. I changed the drop in air filter to the Amsoil EAA106 when the lab noted the silicon level being high.
This last UOA took me approx one year to go 7000 miles. Is this silicon level something to worry about ?

*********Need help with the attachment. I do not see the file manager to upload my UOA. *******

Ok then here it goes. Air filter is from Amsoil and was installed approx. 20,000 miles ago. Any comments are appreciated.

MI/HR on Oil - 7,000
MI/HR on Unit - 209,136
Make Up Oil Added - 0 qts

ALUMINUM - 2
CHROMIUM - 1
IRON - 14
COPPER - 2
LEAD - 7
TIN - 2
MOLYBDENUM - 318
NICKEL - 0
MANGANESE - 0
SILVER - 0
TITANIUM - 0
POTASSIUM - 1
BORON - 10
SILICON - 79
SODIUM - 6
CALCIUM - 3328
MAGNESIUM - 14
PHOSPHORUS - 1178
ZINC - 1372
BARIUM - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210*F - 71.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100*C - 13.25
Flashpoint in *F - 435
Fuel % - Antifreeze - 0.0
Water % - 0.0
Insolubles - 0.4
TBN - 7.4

Blackstone Comments: No real problems showed here. These readings are all still in the normal range so we have no reason to suspect any problems are developing. Silicon was excessive, but we are leaning towards this being from the recent use of silicone sealer or lubricant and in that form, it's harmless. If it was from dirt, then wear would have read higher. The TBN was strong at 7.4 so lots of active additive was left. Try 9,000 miles on the next oil.

I am going to agree with Blackstone labs. Schaeffers oil 700 15-40 diesel engine appears to have held up very well... Extend your drains if you choose. Let's see what the next sample for sodium says.

Lead is sort of high. My engine show like 1 or 2 ppm for lead. But other than that it looks good. Hope my engine has wear numbers like that once it breaks in. I guess 209,000 you can't expect led to be as low as a newer engine.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
I am going to agree with Blackstone labs. Schaeffers oil 700 15-40 diesel engine appears to have held up very well... Extend your drains if you choose. Let's see what the next sample for sodium says.

You mean silicon right ?

That ams air filter isn't working too good? you used a silicone sealer??

held grade,nice report try 10,000 next time,nice add pack love the CI-4 oils

Originally Posted By: daman

I am thinking about trying another Air Filter since I haven't used anything close to a silicon sealer.

Thx
Bo

Originally Posted By: Boczech

I am thinking about trying another Air Filter since I haven't used anything close to a silicon sealer.

Thx
Bo

I hope there better then that i have one in my Z71.

Originally Posted By: Boczech

Thx
Bo

I hope there better then that i have one in my Z71.

That's what I thought to so I am looking at the AFE dry filter.

The AFE is one of several good filters that'll work for you. They'll also improve performance a tad. What size exhaust do you have?

Originally Posted By: salesrep
The AFE is one of several good filters that'll work for you. They'll also improve performance a tad. What size exhaust do you have?

It is the stock system right now with plans to upgrade to a 4inch here in the future

Everything looks very reasonable except the aforementioned Si.

I'd try a different filter; consider going back to stock to establish a base line, then experiment with other filters if you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back