Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 -- 2005 VW TDI -- very high iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a stupid question, but I don't know a whole lot about how wear metals are tested for by the lab. Is it possible the high iron in the second sample is some rust that was flushed by the highway driving? Because of the almsot exclusively winter short trips in the previous sample, possibly let some condensate remain long term in the engine and promoted some light rust formation? Wild guess.

I don't know the answer to that but I think it could be possible-cold fuel enrichment cleans the oil off the cylinders then it gets a light surface rust from humidity and breaks off and counts as iron. I'm not sure why the iron reading was high but if none of the other wear metals are high and are actually very low, it makes me question that the oil is causing high wear.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I will be switching the car back to Mobil 1 Turbo-Diesel Truck 5W40 CJ4 as soon as possible.

Excellent plan. It or any other CJ-4 5w40 oil will do very well. Shell Rotella T6 is showing itself to be a very cost effective oil as is Schaeffer 9000 (which is what I run in my PD Golf).

Which has more Zinc, TDT CJ4 or Rotella Synth CJ4?

I expect both have the same amounts, the max allowed by the spec.

Which one then has the more superior film strength?

Getting HTHS numbers for them is difficult.

According to this graphic though, It looks like T6 is better. Who knows what test they used though.

t6_shear_stability.gif

Something bad has happened, judging by the near doubling of iron without any other wear-increasing factors like dirt, coolant, fuel dilution, or worse operational conditions. But you (the OP) already know this, so I'm just reinforcing your opinion. I'd choose Rotella T6 over M1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
XW-40 HDEO or M1 15W-50.

Can't say I'd recommend 15w50, but M1 0w40 is a BAD choice for PDs. M1 TDT, Schaeffer 9000, Amsoil DEO (AFL not so much), Shell Rotella T6 & PC Duron 5w40 have all proved themselves to be very good choices.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I wouldn't be sitting around hoping it was the oil causing the problem.

Pull the valve cover after you read this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225918

Agreed with 440, cutting the OCI just lowers the number, the number/mile of iron is the same. 48 ppm is too much, IMO.

Exactly. Blaming oil instead of bad engine design seems to be the norm around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back