Ecotec oil filters - best one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Cavalier with the 2.2L ECOTEC. My dad just bought a filter for it (Fram - Made in China
frown.gif
) I have heard of bad things about Fram and don't support them. Unfortunately Walmart in Canada only carries Fram Filters. I was wondering what brand is the best to use for the ECOTEC and which ones are Made here in USA/Canada?

Fram's cartridge filters are very good - they are probably the best when price and availablity are factored in.

Good luck finding one actually made in Canada or the US....

No offence, but the 'anti-China' thing is really kinda silly. Sure, you may find an oil filter not made in China, but how much of the other stuff you buy on a regular basis is made in China?

Where are your appliances, computer, clothes, etc...from?

The last couple of bulk Delco filters I've picked up from the dealer are made by Fram. The Hengst filter that comes in the Delco PF458g box with the new cap is also a good filter. If I buy aftermarket I usually pick up a Purolator P1, the PL15436. Or the Wix/Napa Gold 7082.

I try to buy anything and everything made in USA/Canada. If it's a couple of dollars more I prefer to support our economies. It's hard to find stuff but it can be done. Sure I buy things that are Made in China , it's inevitable. The nature of their economy is that they produce all the little stuff. The US/Canada produce bigger things (commericial, military, etc) I just prefer to stick with higher quality stuff in the car. I have learned my lesson that buying cheap stuff usually results in it not lasting long.

For my EcoTec (probably going to be similar for yours) -- I've found PureONE's and Purolator's that said Made in USA. I think WM's Super Tech did too, actually.
But when I looked at the quality, the past while I've kept WIX in stock (they're headquarters are in NC, so local in that sense).

I've yet to see any quality better than WIX for mine (some were close or nearly the same, but not better). If the PureONE's Made in USA would have been better I would probably have gotten them, but they were fairly rough the 2 times I checked them out.

The STP filter has thicker filter media than the walmart filter.I'm not sure if the price difference is worth it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

No offence, but the 'anti-China' thing is really kinda silly. Sure, you may find an oil filter not made in China, but how much of the other stuff you buy on a regular basis is made in China?

i agree. and another thing to take into consideration, just cuz its "made in usa" doesnt mean its parts were... at the place i work for, our pumps are "made in usa" however most of the parts in that pump come from china/india

Last edited:
I used a Purolator Classic in my Ecotec and it looked fine when I removed it, but I think that the best filter for this application is the OEM AC PF457G made by Hengst. I have heard that most of the AC's available are no longer made by Hengst, but I purchased some on Amazon several months ago that were made by Hengst. The Hengst filter is made in the USA if that is important to you.

I wouldn't waste money on the filters that don't allow the inner piece to rotate. Many of them don't, as I have spent plenty of time standing and checking almost all of them out at the auto stores and WM...

Originally Posted By: SnPb
I used a Purolator Classic in my Ecotec and it looked fine when I removed it, but I think that the best filter for this application is the OEM AC PF457G made by Hengst. I have heard that most of the AC's available are no longer made by Hengst, but I purchased some on Amazon several months ago that were made by Hengst. The Hengst filter is made in the USA if that is important to you.

Depends on the dealer and/or store you buy from. Right now there are three different filters available from AC for the Ecotec 2.2.

If the dealer/store buys bulk, they sell a Fram made AC in a small plastic bag with a AC sticker on the bag, the PF 457GF.
They also have a short boxed version without the cap, they can either be the new Fram or the old Champion filter.
If the dealer stocks the PF458g then you can still get the Hengst in that package, a tall box with the Hengst and a new Cap.

I have some pics posted here somewhere, I'll try to find them and post back....Here are the pics I posted of the 457gf and the 458g.....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1857813#Post1857813

That K&N is a great looking filter, but I can never find them in stock anywhere.

Last edited:
I just can't figure out why these filters cost double a traditional can filter, when there is no metal can. It's not like the Ecotec is a low production motor.

The AC Delco is by far the best filter, it is made by Hengst who also made the container that it sits in. They are less than $5 at Advance.

The new PF457g filters are made by Hengst again.

For a while you could only get this filter when you bought the kit with a new cap for $11, but the hengst filters are back in the cheap $4 filter.

I picked up a couple at advance auto parts.

This is by far the best filter to use for this motor. Other cheap filters have caused a ticking issue, and GM has put out a TSB warning against using aftermarket filters in this car.

I have also had some filters twist up and deform, but the delco one holds up.

If you already have a fram, don't sweat it. They are OK, but the OEM is just a little better.

The OEM also has more teeth at the bottom of it, so that it grabs the cap a little more firmly, instead of going in loose so to speak.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The new PF457g filters are made by Hengst again.

For a while you could only get this filter when you bought the kit with a new cap for $11, but the hengst filters are back in the cheap $4 filter.

I picked up a couple at advance auto parts.

Excellent, I have three caps now, been buying the 458g just to get the Hengst. I hate they keep switching around like this. Thanks for the info, I'll check AAP out for the Hengst 457g

AC/Delco now shows three filters online....

457g with a pic that looks just like the Hengst.
457gf with no pic, only available in bulk pack of twelve, the Fram.
458g with the Hengst and the cap.

Hopefully they stick with this lineup for a while.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The AC Delco is by far the best filter, it is made by Hengst who also made the container that it sits in. They are less than $5 at Advance.

+1. $4.62+tax.

better yet, buy 6 and use the code from the sales and rebate section for $10 off $25 and get them for $2.95+tax.

you cover your [censored] warranty wise, they are cheap, and they are a pretty good filter.

i do not see any reason to go another way.

Originally Posted By: BeanCounter
I wouldn't waste money on the filters that don't allow the inner piece to rotate. Many of them don't, as I have spent plenty of time standing and checking almost all of them out at the auto stores and WM...

What is the significance of the center section being able to rotate?

For me when it comes to the cartridge filters, I'd use any name brand and not even worry about it. There's no real guts or glory in using a k&n vs. a whitebox generic. there's no ADV, no pressure ratings to consider no size or threading to worry about..
it's a cartridge. Some might have more pleats than others, but from what I've seen.. they're pretty much close enough to be the same.

i try to support north american countries too...the valucraft, ac delco, supertech and purolator are made in US and bosch has been at times...the M1 cart filter is made in china but rest of their reg filters are made here...i just bought one last nite...stp and fram are made overseas usually (cart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back