Reason not to buy an Acadia, Traverse, or Enclave

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tire sizes where an option? (by that I mean, what alternate rim diameters)

Changing rims (if brakes will clear) is an option (ie: P255 70r17, P275 70r16). Both those sizes are for all practical purposes the same diameter.

Alex.

At least you don't have a Toyota Sienna AWD or a Honda Odyssey Touring/Nissan Quest with Michelin PAX tires.

The Sienna AWD needs run-flat tires which only Bridgestone and Dunlop make in that size(225/60-17) and the Odyssey/Quest with PAX tires can only go back to the dealership for tires since Michelin signed a agreement with Honda and Nissan for support.

same issues with my car. VERY limited choices at first.

Now almost 4 years later there are a lot more.

And I never used that as an excuse to bad mouth the manufacturer.

[censored], a whole legion of engineers chose those OE tires. They might even be pretty good!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
same issues with my car. VERY limited choices at first.

Now almost 4 years later there are a lot more.

And I never used that as an excuse to bad mouth the manufacturer.

[censored], a whole legion of engineers chose those OE tires. They might even be pretty good!

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach
At least you don't have a Toyota Sienna AWD or a Honda Odyssey Touring/Nissan Quest with Michelin PAX tires.

The Sienna AWD needs run-flat tires which only Bridgestone and Dunlop make in that size(225/60-17) and the Odyssey/Quest with PAX tires can only go back to the dealership for tires since Michelin signed a agreement with Honda and Nissan for support.

Many Sienna owners have converted to conventional tires with spares. I've also seen some Honda Odyssey owners buy conventional wheels from a lower trim Ody and use those instead. Lots of possibilities.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
Many Sienna owners have converted to conventional tires with spares. I've also seen some Honda Odyssey owners buy conventional wheels from a lower trim Ody and use those instead. Lots of possibilities.

That's where the solution lies. If the manufacturer tricks you into a strange tire and/or wheel size, find an alternative. That's why my Torino won't be riding on 14's soon. 16" CV wheels will be perfect for it and will open up the possibility of a rear disc conversion later on, ease of finding suitable tires, and it'll just plain look better!

I owned a 2008 Acadia for 3 full years and the Goodyear tires (P255/65R18 Fortera) that are available for that car SUCK (no other way to say it). I looked into upgrading to 19" or 20" factory take-offs only to learn there are not a lot of options in those sizes either (I am speaking of only the factory rims and stock tire sizes).

I managed 51,000 on the originals and 42,000 on the second set, when I traded it in on a new FX4. Although it was a good car (other than water pump at 80K and constant whine in the steering that was a design issue), I am glad to be rid of it if only because of the tires.

Best of luck to your friend!

The Fit has an oddball 185/55-16 size. 4 tires in that size on TireRack. The OE Bridgestones are about shot with 22k miles on them. Getting 205/50-16's lets us choose from ~30 different tires. It's the same diameter, and costs less. We'll see handling benefits from it, also.

Get a different size, or smaller wheels.

It gets better.

Discount used to only carry Eagle RS/As for our wagon. $179. each for terrible tires.

Me: I need the price for a set of 205/50-17s
Discount: Mazda?
Me: PT
Discount: PT? (goes outside looks at sidewall, comes back in) Okay, PT Cruiser. We have the Eagle RS/A
Me: No... what else?
Discount: nothing. I thought the Mazda3 was the only car that took that tire.

That was several years ago. They have much more selections now.

P255/65R18 options:

Goodyear FORTERA HL (OE)
Hankook VENTUS AS
Cooper CS4 TOURING ($50 Mail-in-Rebate)
Toyo Versado CUV
Cordovan TOUR PLUS LST (TBC Private Brands)

Originally Posted By: MI_Roger
A co-worker owns a GMC Acadia which is due for tires. The vehicle requires a P255/65R18 size.

A quick search of Tirerack s.....

Tirerack is overrated.

They are back ordered with tires I was interested in getting. Local retailers can get them easily and at a cheaper price.

There are at 5 difference model tires including 2 cooper's that fit. Most people won't care as long as they can get tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back