How much MMO to thin out 20w50 to 10w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use dino 20w50 in my 22 yr old BMW. Come winter, when temps drop into the teens, I switch to 10w40. How much MMO would it take to thin 4 qts of 20w50 to 10w 40? TIA.

I had a link for a viscosity calculator, its dead. Google viscosity calculators plug in the #'s for your oil and MMO. The viscosity #'s for it are somewhere on Bitog, it will give you a pretty good idea. IIRC a qt of MMO in a 5 qt sump should get you in the area of where you want to be. HTH

MMO is NOT a lubricant. Its a solvent. Do NOT use it to thin out oil. Use another oil, or buy the correct viscosity you need for summer and for winter. If you used a synthetic oil, you would not need to worry about it.

This is from Rich Kelly the tech person over at Turtle Wax. This answers some common questions as well as misconceptions. HTH

1. Marvel Mystery Oil is not a solvent in the tradional sense of the word. MMO is an oil mainly. It does contain some tradional solvent in order to thin the viscosity of the oil to approximatel a straight weight oil. Also, it is not considered a detergent based oil in that it does not contain high base number sulfonates. MMO will provide cleaning action to the crankcase, but it does so by different chemistry than detergent oils.

2. MMO contains additional friction modifiers to prevent metal-to-metal contact. Therefore, it improves the motor oils friction reducting properties.

3. MMO has been tested with various seal material that is found in most automotve engines and power trains and is compatible with all of them.

4. As stated above, because to the additional friction modifiers and other ingredients in the Marvel Mystery Oil, using it does not degrade the motor oil but enhances it.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Thanks for posting Demarpaint. Puts to rest a misconception about MMO.

thumbsup2.gif
For a while anyway.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif
For a while anyway.

Haha, so true.

I use it to thin 20w50 all the time. I bought a bunch for dirt cheap so I thin it with MMO so I can use it w/ my 5w20 & 30 cars. I'll typically use a 1/2 quart MMO & a 1/2 quart 20w50 in my 4 quart vehicles. No problems, and everything is nice and clean.

thumbsup2.gif
For a while anyway.

At least until the next ARX drive-by.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

thumbsup2.gif
For a while anyway.

At least until the next ARX drive-by.
27.gif

LOL its been quiet! Which is a good thing, people get more info out of these threads. There's a little less bashing and more information exchanged.

As I use MMO (for the first time) I noticed that after the first few hundred miles there was a little oil consumption and the viscosity thickened slightly. (according to my eye looking at the Dip stick)
Could it be the evaporation of the solvent content that causes this?

I have to say my results have been positive, with a very noticeable smoothness in the engine within the first 100 miles
:)

I never noticed any thickening, but there are cars that do use a little oil when adding MMO. One of my Chevy's did, my E-150 doesn't use any oil with MMO added. I wouldn't worry about it, but I do tell friends who I've recommended MMO to to be sure to check their oil.

I added MMO for the last 2k of my OCI. When I say thickened, I mean, the oil seemed to thin slightly when the MMO was first added, but (appeared, visually) to return normal 10w-30 after several hundred miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back