New to Detailing/Scratch Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad picked up the TW red rubbing compound, polishing compound and hard shell wax for me. Just to see if i could remove the scratches off my 2003 Malibu. Im just wondering should i do a coat of red compound followed by the polishing one and then the wax. Or just skip the red and only use it in places where there are heavy scratches?.

Thanks

There is no firm answer to this. Try the products on specific areas of the car and experiment with them. Only by using them wil you know what product will deliver what result.

The general rule of thumb is to use the mildest product and process to gain a result. You can always get more aggressive if you need to.

Pick a couple small spots on the car side-by-side and start experimenting with the polishes. That is the only way you will know what process works best for you.

Since there are no pictures of your Malibu, I would first try a good cleaner was/polish. Cleaner waxes with abrasives rather than chemicals. The mild abrasives will help to remove the fine/lite scratches as the chemical cleaner will help to remove stains better. If the scratches are deep down to the primer coat, nothing will help those but, if there are only surface scratches from winter snow brushes, car washes and such then, a cleaner wax like mentioned above can help with a couple of coats where needed followed by a couple good coats or a high gloss polish.. Im not really a fan of TW products as-far-as being a good product as there are many others that will do a better job but, to each his own!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Since there are no pictures of your Malibu, I would first try a good cleaner was/polish. Cleaner waxes with abrasives rather than chemicals. The mild abrasives will help to remove the fine/lite scratches as the chemical cleaner will help to remove stains better. If the scratches are deep down to the primer coat, nothing will help those but, if there are only surface scratches from winter snow brushes, car washes and such then, a cleaner wax like mentioned above can help with a couple of coats where needed followed by a couple good coats or a high gloss polish.. Im not really a fan of TW products as-far-as being a good product as there are many others that will do a better job but, to each his own!

Uhhh my camera is down atm but i did wash and dry thourougly and applied a coat of the polishing compound (ARGH). I came back later after waxing and no it has like spots on the hood and paper like tape peeling off. Is there a way to fix this?

You don't apply "coat" of polishing compound! You rub it in and take it off immediately. I do not understand your reference to "tape peeling off". Is transparent layer coming off? If so, your clear coat has failed and there is no remedy but a repaint.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You don't apply "coat" of polishing compound! You rub it in and take it off immediately. I do not understand your reference to "tape peeling off". Is transparent layer coming off? If so, your clear coat has failed and there is no remedy but a repaint.

I applied the compound, and let it haze and removed by buffing. And yes the transparent layer has peeled off, and it feels like dull metal.

I just ruined my car
frown.gif
(sigh)

You do not let the compound haze :-(

But you did not ruined your car. The clearcoat had already failed and there is nothing that you could do now to fix it. If that car was in your family since new, then may be you could have taken care of it earlier to prevent this from happening. But if this was purchases recently, the paint was already ruined.

Assuming that all surfaces are damaged, you can still salvage the remaining with better products such as Meguairs Ultra Compound rather than the TurtleWax red can. It is known as "ground bricks in a can" and I do wish you had kept it away from your car.

You will be pleasantly surprised with the UC. You apply via buffing using foam pad using moderate pressure until it starts to become clear and then you wipe it off with a microfiber towel. You never let it dry on the surface or leave it there. You will be spending $10 to $15 for the UC, pad and towel at Walmart.

- Vikas

You do not let the compound haze :-(

But you did not ruined your car. The clearcoat had already failed and there is nothing that you could do now to fix it. If that car was in your family since new, then may be you could have taken care of it earlier to prevent this from happening. But if this was purchases recently, the paint was already ruined.

Assuming that all surfaces are damaged, you can still salvage the remaining with better products such as Meguairs Ultra Compound rather than the TurtleWax red can. It is known as "ground bricks in a can" and I do wish you had kept it away from your car.

You will be pleasantly surprised with the UC. You apply via buffing using foam pad using moderate pressure until it starts to become clear and then you wipe it off with a microfiber towel. You never let it dry on the surface or leave it there. You will be spending $10 to $15 for the UC, pad and towel at Walmart.

- Vikas

I might give it a try next summer, but im still downfallen after the white polishing compound catastrophy. The big patches on my hood are saddening. Thank you for all your help i appreciate it

Don't wait until next summer. Time will make it worse i.e. the surfaces which are still good will go bad if you wait.

Post the pictures here and we might be able to offer better suggestions.

Repaint Repaint, end is near! Sorry about that :)

If you want professional results, you will have to get it repainted. If you want, you can try to do it yourself and if you screw it up badly, you were going to get it repainted anyway.

Repaint Repaint, end is near! Sorry about that :)

If you want professional results, you will have to get it repainted. If you want, you can try to do it yourself and if you screw it up badly, you were going to get it repainted anyway.

Oh lord im not wanitng to spend a 1000 dollars on paint, will it be fine through the winters or will rust spread like wildfire?

I don't see any real rust in the pictures. My previous recommendation still stands. Get Meguiars Ultra Compound, some foam pads and microfiber towels along with your favorite wax. Read the directions (or research using internet, or ask here) on the bottle of Ultra Compound and follow them. You will be shocked at the difference it will make on your car. It is available at your local Walmart or other auto parts store. It will NOT fix the peeling clear coat. That will take lots of dollars to make it look like brand new or lots of hard work and experimentation to make it somewhat respectable.

I don't see any real rust in the pictures. My previous recommendation still stands. Get Meguiars Ultra Compound, some foam pads and microfiber towels along with your favorite wax. Read the directions (or research using internet, or ask here) on the bottle of Ultra Compound and follow them. You will be shocked at the difference it will make on your car. It is available at your local Walmart or other auto parts store. It will NOT fix the peeling clear coat. That will take lots of dollars to make it look like brand new or lots of hard work and experimentation to make it somewhat respectable.

Cant find it anywhere in town, napa doesnt ahve it either but they have this vinnyl and rubber compound

It is clearcoat failure and you didn't cause it. As mentioned a repaint, at least strip and reclear, is the only option.

I thought Walmart in Canada carried the Meguiars products? If your local NAPA carries Meguiars or can order for you, ask them to get you M105 and M205 in small bottles (8 oz or 12 oz) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back