H11 to H9 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a few DIY pages instructing on how to trim an H9 bulb to fit into an H11 slot. The nominal difference in lumens (2100 vs. 1200 as I recall) is non-trivial, with the associated loss in life, and 10W increase in power (about 0.9 amps at 12V).

I am considering doing this in my Camry's low beam projectors, but am concerned about heat. I have read on a Camry board the suggestion that 55W HID kits have burned the chrome off the inside of the projector, so when folks ask about HIDs, they get recommended the 35W kits. The H11 bulbs are already 55W, so I'd think that installing 65W bulbs would make the projectors even more prone to damage, unless I don't understand how HID filaments work. Would a 55W HID filament burn at a higher physical temperature than a 65W halogen bulb?

Does anyone have any experience running an H9 in place of an H11? I'm not at all new to trimming bulbs (I've worked a lot with trimming 9005s and HIRs). I'm just looking for some real world experiences with any heat-related issues, especially in the relative confines of a projector housing.

Thanks!

Does your Passat use relatively small "projector" fog lights? I think some VWs do. If yours does, then I'd be pretty comfortable with the switch. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Does your Passat use relatively small "projector" fog lights? I think some VWs do. If yours does, then I'd be pretty comfortable with the switch. Thanks!

The "small ones" on the older VW's uses H3 bulbs.

My passat does use relative compact projector fog lights

I did the h11 to h9 conversion on my 08 xb (lows and fogs) and I've had no problems so far in 8 months.

Last edited:
As a follow-up, I installed the H9 bulbs in my H11 projectors last night. Holy cow, what a difference. I'm feeling a little self-conscious about the light now...it's so much brighter. The optics are still well-controlled, though. The difference in color is nice as well. The light is rather white. The H11 bulbs that came out of my Camry were Philips H11 LL, so they were Long Life bulbs (probably slightly dimmer and yellower than standard H11 bulbs). The new H9s are Sylvania standard H9, but they were made in Germany and stamped OSRAM.

Next time, I may try the H11 XV, which are also OSRAM units made in Germany.

The H11 XVs are $23 for a pair at Pep Boys. I paid $14.99 each for the H9s at Auto Zone.

Update 2: I took the bulbs back out. I can't count how many positive reports I've read of folks using these bulbs, but after I drove last night with the lights on, the backs of the bulbs (where the plastic connector is) were so hot, you couldn't touch them.

So I threw the H11s back in it this morning and drove to work with the lights on again and though the backs of the bulbs were pretty warm, they didn't burn my skin, and I could leave my finger on them for a good 5 seconds. There's a difference in the running temperature of the bulbs, and though I don't know how much it is or if it's significant to the housings or the wiring, I'm not quite comfortable with it.

So I'm going to switch back to the H11s, probably the H11 XVs that I can get at Pep Boys for $23 for the pair.

Probably. I just didn't feel comfortable with them in there. Also (as noted in another thread), the upward lighting on my projectors that normally light reflective road signs was really increased with the H9s, almost to the point of being distracting. Do the projectors on your Scion have the "squirrel spotters"?

Yeah I have the squirrel finders in my projectors. The upward lighting doesn't really bother me. I'm guessing because prior to the h9 conversion I had hids.

Throwing a relay harness at the bulbs may get you relief from the high temperatures. The stock wiring is often pathetically inadequate for regular bulbs, much less a more powerful bulb.

Wouldn't more current just mean HIGHER temperatures at the bulb? I'm talking about the temperature of the back of the bulb itself, not the wiring. The wiring felt fine to the touch.

Have you ran your high beams on and then touched the back side of the bulb? The 9005 beams run the same wattage, I don't see why there would be a problem running h9s in the low beams.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Have you ran your high beams on and then touched the back side of the bulb? The 9005 beams run the same wattage, I don't see why there would be a problem running h9s in the low beams.

My only concern is the heat inside the small projector itself. People with 55W HIDs in their Camry's projectors have reported problems with the coating in the projector, so after feeling the large difference in bulb temperature, I just wasn't comfortable with it.

For what it's worth, I installed the H11 XVs last night and drove to work this morning in the dark. The improvement was there, and I feel it about split the difference between the H11 LL bulbs that were in the car and the H9s that I tried a few weeks ago. The light is noticeably whiter from the XVs vs. the LLs, and the light within the beam spread now is extremely uniform. They're very pleasing to drive with. My local Walmart started carrying them just recently (the H11 and H11 XV bulbs), and for $11.88 each, if you're considering it, it's money well spent.

I realize this *is* an old thread, but I wanted to point out for Gen6.5 (2010-2011) Camry owners that our projectors are larger than the projectors in the original Gen 6 (07-09) models. I haven't seen any posts about overheated projector housings in the Gen6.5's, but that's not to say there aren't.

I figured this should be pointed out is all. Of course, please do feel free to correct me if I'm wrong regarding the difference in the interior space of the housings as this is merely based on the larger 3" lenses used in the Gen6.5's.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. From the few photos I've seen of a Camry head lamp assembly opened up, the projector isn't really "enclosed" in there at all, such as say a Ford Fusion fog lamp assembly. The projector is rather open and it appears that heat would not be a major issue. I don't know that for sure, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back