Recommendations? New 2010 Ford FX4 w/5.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys and Gals,

I have spent some time (4 days) parsing through all of the information on BITOG regarding the different viewpoints and experiences regarding the various brands of synthetic oils. I recently bought a new truck and wanted some thoughts about the oil I should use (without starting an “argument”).

Here some basic information:

Vehicle is a 2010 Ford F-150 FX4 with a 5.4L FFV engine and it currently has 8 years).

Manufacturer’s specification is 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A. The severe duty OCI is 5,000 miles and the normal duty OCI is 7,500 miles. I will use the severe duty OCI recommended by Ford and will document everything. I plan to use Motorcraft FL-820S filters and will be performing regular UOA to verify wear and other issues.

Driving Habits and Location:

I tend to drive somewhat spirited, commuting about 60 miles daily (round trip) and this is combination of highway (60% meaning speeds above 45) and city (40% meaning speeds below 45) with some stop and go driving in between. I live in the Houston area where temperatures are above 85 for more than ½ of the year and dust is somewhat prevalent.

I am less concerned about extended OCI or oil cost (within reason) as I am about protecting the $40K investment that I just made + I have a 6/100K B2B Ford ESP warranty. I can currently buy 7 quarts of M1 for ~$35 or 7 quarts of PU for ~$40 (these seem to be 2 of the most popular oils discussed here). I will remove the factory fill at 1,000 miles (yes, it may be a waste, but I do not want the metal from break-in flying around in there) and replace it with “X” (decided based upon your opinions—do Ford engines prefer a particular oil?).

With all of this in mind, I am considering these 5 oils and would appreciate any and all input:

- Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
- Motorcraft Full Synthetic
- Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic w/ Titanium
- Pennzoil Ultra
- Mobil 1

Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

I would add Valvoline 5w-30 to the list you are looking at. I did my buddy's F-150 with the 4.6 over the weekend. The truck had been a long time M1 vehicle. I changed the oil for him when I borrowed it. The Valvoline is a thin 30wt, and when he got the truck back he noticed how much smoother and quieter it was over the M1.

For 5k OCI I would run really any name brand synthetic (whatever you can get on Sale at the 'zone or what is by you). My limited experience with Ford engines (F-150 my buddy has I described up top, his focus, and a gal's focus), shows that they like Valvoline 5w-30. All 3 Vehicles are running Valvoline now switched from M1 or motorcraft all with improvements in running.

In the heat of Texas I prefer the 5w-30 over a 5w-20. Especially if any amount of towing is involved.

edit: what part of the state are you in?

Last edited:
With a 5000-7500 miles OCI, any of the oils you mentioned should be fine. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time a second oil change around 3000 miles should help your engine (but it is not necessary).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Cryption,

I am in Houston...

Nice, I'm about 15 miles north of the Woodlands on 45 in Willis. If you ever need a place to change you oil or anything shoot me a PM!

If i bought this truck i would run Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum 5w-30 with a Motorcraft 820S filter doing 7500 OCI year round given your climate.

I dont want to start a war but seeing that no other country except maybe Canada even offers 5w-20 and Ford does not specify its use in any Vehicle outside North America i have to believe its an EPA based thing and possibly not the best weight for the engine.
After all what does Ford care how long it last as long as its out of warranty.

I'm aware that oil cost isn't an issue to you, and I think that's good, giving you just spent $40k on a vehicle....BUT...with all the highway driving you are doing, and the warm climate you are in, going 7500 miles on a change wouldn't be an issue at all, ESPECIALLY if you are using a full-synthetic oil.

Seriously, pick whatever synthetic you can get the easiest, or 'like' the best, and run it 7500 - you plan on doing UOA's, and these will just confirm this as a more than safe practice.

I would start with 4000 OCI and work up from there. Dump your factory fill like you plan, change that one pretty quick, then start 4000 OCI. Then run a 5000. If you get the 5k analyzed and like where it's at, stick there. I would never push an oil past 5k, even if it's the absolute best oil known to man on a car that calls for 15k OCI.

when you spend 40k on a vehicle .... what's a couple extra oil changes?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm aware that oil cost isn't an issue to you, and I think that's good, giving you just spent $40k on a vehicle....BUT...with all the highway driving you are doing, and the warm climate you are in, going 7500 miles on a change wouldn't be an issue at all, ESPECIALLY if you are using a full-synthetic oil.

Seriously, pick whatever synthetic you can get the easiest, or 'like' the best, and run it 7500 - you plan on doing UOA's, and these will just confirm this as a more than safe practice.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If i bought this truck i would run Pennzoil...Platinum 5w-30 with a Motorcraft 820S filter doing 7500 OCI year round given your climate.

I looked at a bottle of Platinum, but I did not see where it met Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A (thereby voiding my warranty), thus I listed Ultra instead of Platinum. Is this not correct--does Platinum meet WSS-M2C930-A?

But I have a 6/100 bumper to bumper warranty that I want to protect...

You can't go wrong with Pennzoil Ultra...a solid choice!

By the way,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

With you wanting to protect your warranty, I would just run the Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters. Get 'em at Wally and enjoy the money savings.

As long as you keep receipts and run FoMoCo's oil, how can they say no :)

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
With you wanting to protect your warranty, I would just run the Motorcraft syn blend and Motorcraft filters. Get 'em at Wally and enjoy the money savings.

As long as you keep receipts and run FoMoCo's oil, how can they say no :)

I agree wholeheartedly with this advice, and add that sticking with the 5000 mile severe OCI recommendation is probably a good idea while the warranty is in effect, even though this is probably overkill. Motorcraft synthetic blend seems to show a lot of good UOAs, and I think any more expensive brand would be hard-pressed to do any better on a 5k OCI.

The recommended Motorcraft oil and filter will let the engine last as long as it is going to last at the 5,000 mile oil change intervals. What about the trans and differential oils? You know all the break in metals etc.

If i bought this truck i would run Pennzoil...Platinum 5w-30 with a Motorcraft 820S filter doing 7500 OCI year round given your climate.

I looked at a bottle of Platinum, but I did not see where it met Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A (thereby voiding my warranty), thus I listed Ultra instead of Platinum. Is this not correct--does Platinum meet WSS-M2C930-A?

But I have a 6/100 bumper to bumper warranty that I want to protect...

PP meets the spec.

Pennzoil Platinum exceeds: North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SM and earlier API categories are specified (all grades) North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with diesel engines where API CF oils are specified (10W-30, 5W-50, 15W-50) ILSAC GF-4Energy Conserving performance standard (0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30 & 10W-30) Meets the most advanced emissions and fuel economy standards in the US gasoline powered engines. Approved to Chrysler MS 6395Q (5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) Meets Ford WSS M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30) Approved to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30) Approved to GM 4718M specification for Corvette (5W-30 and 10W-30) Approved to Acura HTO-06 for turbo-charged applications (5W-30) Meets demanding ACEA requirements

PP meets the spec.

Pennzoil Platinum exceeds: ...Meets Ford WSS M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30)...

Where did you find that information? When I look at the PP website [http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum/] I only see WSS-M2C929-A on the specification.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
What about the trans and differential oils? You know all the break in metals etc.

You bring up a good point! According to Ford, both the transmission and differential are factory filled with synthetic. I was considering waiting until 10K to change all 3 (Trans, Diff, and Xfer Case). Any thoughts there?

PP meets the spec.

Pennzoil Platinum exceeds: ...Meets Ford WSS M2C930-A (5W-20) and WSS-M2C929-A (5W-30)...

Where did you find that information? When I look at the PP website [http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil/pennzoil-platinum/] I only see WSS-M2C929-A on the specification.

I downloaded the PDS about a month ago when i was comparing Ultra to Platinum.

Definately change the transmission every 30k. I changed mine at 45k and was impressed with how much stuff (metallic sludge) was stuck to the magnet. There was also a general gray film/thin coating all over the pan and on the transmission plate. Tore apart the filter and found pink and baby blue looking plastic pieces along with other crud.

BTW, I changed the fluid because of a slight shudder that began around 38k miles, otherwise the fluid still look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back