Firestone Winterforce? any expriences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an ad for a brand new set of these locally on Craigslist, for $250. (in the correct size I need: 225/60/16).
I was going to go with Altimax Arctics from tirerack, but the ad has gotten my attention...

Just don't know much about these, but ranks pretty high-up in the category on TR survey...

They're certainly nothing special in the world of modern winter tires, but it's all relative. I'd take them over any all-season tire in winter conditions.

$250 isn't that cheap. I'd pay the extra for the Generals. They've done well on tire tests; the Firestones haven't.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
The only snowtire I would consider would be Blizzaks. The rest are mediocre at best.

Even the Michelin, Nokian, Yokohama, and Continental tires that beat the "not great, but still well without any negative surprises" Blizzaks in this extensive winter tire test?

2009 Winter Tire Test

Strangely, you have to click on "Studded Tires" under the "Test Results and Winners" heading to see the results of the studless tires.

For the 205/70 15 General Altimax Arctics now in the basement, the total price was $380 mounted and balanced on steelies from the wreckers. Price for the tires alone was $304 shipped, minus the $25 rebate already sent in for.

If the $250 includes wheels you can use, get them!

I ran them for five Ohio winters on my '86 Century and they were fine. Mine were made by Firestone of Brazil and had nice traction. Though the Winterforce tires are nice, the design is long in the tooth and newer and nicer tires are available for a few dollars more. For my Grand Am I am going with the General Altimax Arctics which are relabeled Gislaved NordFrost 3's made in Germany. Currently they are actually $3 a tire cheaper in my size.

Used winter tire usually are not much of a bargain unless you can get them for cheap ($100 a set), they are mounted on rims that fit your car perfectly, are less than four years old, have been stored correctly (ie not on the car sitting in a muddy field all summer), and/or have 9-10/32" of tread. I can not believe the people that ask 80% of new cost for ten year old Dunlop Graspic DS-1 that they ran for three winters.

If the Winterforce tires are studded, and that's what you want, OK. If they aren't studded, you'll be much better off with modern studless winter tires.

What is the actual age of these "new" tires? The last four digits in the DOT code impressed into the tire sidewall is the week and year of manufacture. Don't buy old, hard, dry "new" tires.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I found an ad for a brand new set of these locally on Craigslist, for $250. (in the correct size I need: 225/60/16).
I was going to go with Altimax Arctics from tirerack, but the ad has gotten my attention...

Just don't know much about these, but ranks pretty high-up in the category on TR survey...

Great winter tire. But, and it is a huge but.... they are LOUD!!!!!!! They have great traction in the deep snow

Originally Posted By: beast3300
The only snowtire I would consider would be Blizzaks. The rest are mediocre at best.

Which Blizzaks? WS or LM?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Brand new as in never used, but what is the mfg date? If they sat somewhere for 4-5 years, I'm not sure I'd want them.

I ran Blizzaks for 9 winters. Phenomenal snow tire, the best out there. Last year when I needed to replace the set, I bought the Winterforce instead. They were 60% of the cost of the Blizzaks. They were also 75% of the cost of the Generals which I also considered. In the end, the dollar spoke loudly and I bought the Firestones.

They are indistinguishable from the Blizzaks in snow, even a little better on hard packed and slushy snow, and just a tad worse on ice, not enough to pay the extra dough. The wear over one winter is unnoticeable, and that's about 5000 miles. I would buy them again in a heartbeat, they're that good. The fact that they're cheaper, sometimes by a lot, only makes them a better value.

Offer $100 at the most.

There's a junkyard near me that sells nearly new take offs including snows, for $5-15. Matched sets slightly more.

The kind of person who (often) tries to sell a used tire on craigslist, is the kind of moron who doesn't understand the nitrogen, road hazard, mounting, and alignment they bought as the tire package does no good for the next guy. These are the same buffoons who think having receipts for a five year old computer from best buy make it worth more used and full of their kids viruses.

Any snow tire beats just about any all season. I get by with $55 cooper "artic claws" and get a little more snow than NC.
wink.gif

Craigslist Ad

I think I found the tires he was looking at.

I would agree with some of the previous posters to ask for the manufacturing date of the tires.

Also they should be cheaper, remember they have NO warranty and NO support so if something is wrong with one of them you are out of luck.

I've run the Winterforce (studded) for the past 5 winters on an Audi. I find them to be a great tire for snow & ice, and reasonable on dry roads. Noise level is not bad, for a winter tire. They wear well, too. I'm buying a set next month for a new Subaru Outback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back