Bosch Distance Plus cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
The threads have very little to almost no open flow area, and the small pressure differential between the inlet and outlet means there isn't a lot of pressure through the thread. I think so anyway.

Quote:
but I highly doubt 50% of the oil is going to leak past the threads

I highly doubt any is.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
For anyone interested, Bosch has a survey that they would like the public to take concerning the Bosch Distance Plus filter. Maybe the survey will make them realize the cost is too high for a lot of people to justify.

Well, for some it might be justified. Those who have European cars and follow the longer recommended OCIs and don't have easy access to the European spec filters, it might be worthwhile.

As it is, on the newest European vehicles, I've finally come across situations where there are actually two different European filters available from the same brand. I've seen Bosch/Mann/Mahle paper filters and Bosch/Mann/Mahle fleece extended OCI filters, and the latter ones are substantially more expensive.

It comes down to this. If one wants an extended OCI, one can buy a filter with a greater holding capacity. One should also expect to pay more money for it. If one wishes to do 3,000 mile OCIs, just about any filter will do the job. If someone chooses to buy a Bosch DP at a premium price for such short use, that's not Bosch's fault.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
For anyone interested, Bosch has a survey that they would like the public to take concerning the Bosch Distance Plus filter. Maybe the survey will make them realize the cost is too high for a lot of people to justify.

Well, for some it might be justified. Those who have European cars and follow the longer recommended OCIs and don't have easy access to the European spec filters, it might be worthwhile.

As it is, on the newest European vehicles, I've finally come across situations where there are actually two different European filters available from the same brand. I've seen Bosch/Mann/Mahle paper filters and Bosch/Mann/Mahle fleece extended OCI filters, and the latter ones are substantially more expensive.

It comes down to this. If one wants an extended OCI, one can buy a filter with a greater holding capacity. One should also expect to pay more money for it. If one wishes to do 3,000 mile OCIs, just about any filter will do the job. If someone chooses to buy a Bosch DP at a premium price for such short use, that's not Bosch's fault.

It really comes down to personal taste. There is enough factual information out there to serve as a starting point for some solid, non-opinion based, information on any given filter.

As soon as someone starts talking about how 'this is waste' unless you're doing that, or 'this is too expensive unless you own this, therefore you really want this' I just roll my eyes and dismiss their entire post as useless info.

I come here for facts. I research my choices, look at the prices, and buy accordingly. Value judgments tend to be entirely subjective and will vary from person to person. Its their money to spend, or to "waste" as they see fit.

As I earn my paycheck (big emphasis on the "I", and the "earn"), I could really care less about anyone's value judgments on the issue.

Its not why I come here. And as my line of work involves detoxing people who (in some cases) put upwards of a thousand bucks of blow up their nose, into their lungs, or their veins - per day - I especially find all the quibbling that takes place about a $3 or $4 difference in the cost of a product used typically up to a year to be a joke.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
It really comes down to personal taste. There is enough factual information out there to serve as a starting point for some solid, non-opinion based, information on any given filter.

That's partially true, but there is more to it than just personal preference. The Europeans came out with extended drains and filters for that purpose for a reason. You and I already pay a premium for oil compared to our American friends. We still pay a pittance compared to what many Europeans pay.

I probably change my oil too often. I certainly could go much longer if I chose the appropriate oil and did some UOA trending and so forth. As it stands, I don't find it necessary to run a Bosch Distance Plus (not even available here yet), Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil, Fram Extended Guard, or Royal Purple filter. I buy Wix and German import filters for one third to one half the price. As an aside, the German filters are speced for extended OCIs, and many have run Wix for extended OCIs with good results.

Look at any new Benz, Audi, or BMW. They spec a fleece filter for the factory mandated extended OCIs. They also offer a paper filter for shorter OCIs. If someone wants to spend $20 for a fleece filter instead of $10 for a paper for a short OCI, that's certainly up to them.

Yes, people are free to spend as much on oil and filters as they want. A person running a 3,000 mile OCI, however, on a basic vehicle isn't going to convince me he needs Royal Purple or Amsoil along with a $15 filter. He's also not going to convince me that his vehicle will last longer than mine if he does 3,000 miles with a boutique synthetic and a $15 filter and if I do 3,000 miles with Quaker State conventional and a Wix.

I'm not saying he should extend his OCI out to 25,000 miles, either, without careful research. One can go nuts in either direction.

The fleet vehicles I've maintained have gone a combined mileage in the millions. 99% of the oil changes were with Quaker State conventional and Wix filters at a 6,000 mile OCI, when the 3,000 mile OCI was still considered gospel. Their engines all ran fine when they went to their final resting places. I got over 1,000,000 km out of a 1981 Impala before its body started to show its age. The engine was fine; it was retired because the body had the bun. What possible advantage could I have gotten running synthetic and a high end filter (not readily available then anyhow)?

From that position of operational experience, I would have been in a very tough position had I put forward a deviation from those maintenance methods. If I would have suggested returning to 3,000 miles, I would have been asked why. The vehicles never failed, so why double the oil and filter cost? If I would have suggested synthetic and ultra expensive filters, the same questions would have been asked. Back then, the difference in price between conventional and synthetic was far more than it is now.

Some things are perfectly clear and logical. A Fram orange can may do the job admirably. Its price, however, is not justified by its construction quality. I can get a Wix cheaper than a Fram. What possible justification could I have for buying a Fram? One can discuss personal taste, but that would be bad taste, along with poor reasoning.

I have no problem with people spending money as they wish. I just don't buy the argument from people who claim that the most expensive boutique oil and the highest priced filter will make their vehicle last longer over a normal OCI.

Those who complain about the price of the Bosch DP are missing the point. It's not there for people who want to run average OCIs. It's not there for people who can find the actual German filters at a reasonable price. They'll gladly sell them to people who wish to change every 3,000 miles, but that's not their target market. Heck, even the Bosch site indicates that Bosch filters are primarily for European vehicles and the Purolator line are for all others.

Quote:
I just don't buy the argument from people who claim that the most expensive boutique oil and the highest priced filter will make their vehicle last longer over a normal OCI.

Nor should you. There is no such thing as magic oil. If there was, commercial applications would pay whatever it took to get longer intervals between overhauls. They can already get up to 5X the drain intervals with synthetics over conventional ..already have the FINEST in filtration (centrifuge) and YET see NO SIGNIFICANT differences in overhaul rates.

If you're swapping out oil often enough, advanced filtration does little for you.

..but buy as you please ..it's your money. Just don't expect a lot of support for the action as being sensible in any cost:benefit analysis.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Nor should you. There is no such thing as magic oil. If there was, commercial applications would pay whatever it took to get longer intervals between overhauls. They can already get up to 5X the drain intervals with synthetics over conventional ..already have the FINEST in filtration (centrifuge) and YET see NO SIGNIFICANT differences in overhaul rates.

If you're swapping out oil often enough, advanced filtration does little for you.

Quite true. Some of those rigs do some pretty amazing OCIs. As for filters, I certainly agree. I haven't paid over $5 for a filter for a rather long time. I did find a place that sells EaOs up here. I must fight the temptation.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Quite true. Some of those rigs do some pretty amazing OCIs. As for filters, I certainly agree. I haven't paid over $5 for a filter for a rather long time. I did find a place that sells EaOs up here. I must fight the temptation.
wink.gif

Doug Hillary ..in one moment of brilliant light bulb illuminating posting (imagine the theme music from 2001 a Space Odyssey ..where the primate managed to put together the idea of using the rib bone as a club
grin2.gif
) ..tried to communicate just what I said. It was, for me, one of two very important posts of my BITOG career.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=154908#Post154908

Doug Hillary ..in one moment of brilliant light bulb illuminating posting (imagine the theme music from 2001 a Space Odyssey ..where the primate managed to put together the idea of using the rib bone as a club
grin2.gif
) ..tried to communicate just what I said. It was, for me, one of two very important posts of my BITOG career.

Oh yes. For them, it's all about the cost. If they can make an extended OCI pay off, and they certainly can, it's definitely worth it. Cutting the downtime is a huge advantage, too.

The average person can change oil every week if they really want and not affect down time - just their spare time. A tractor - that's another issue. They don't tend to make a lot of money sitting around.

Well, more importantly it shows the total impact of maintenance on an even playing field. One devoid of emotion and totally about return on investment. If there was a way to make an engine last any longer, they would do it ..and already are to the maximum benefit. Even Teutonic propensities for infinite complexity at all costs cannot invade this realm of commercial cartage.

Any innovation, invention, adaptation, whatever ..has to "carry itself" and then some to make sense.

Now in our case, we aren't treating and using our cars like appliances/machinery. If our "house" (as in "The House of Allan") were operated like a commercial enterprise (I try ..Oh GOD, I try) we'd do things a bit differently when it came to our personal vehicles.

So, we have varied usage profiles and are not operating them much more than we're operating them. This is where we get to cloud the issues and, perhaps, alter how our usage/maintenance/whatever affects outcomes ..even if we aren't ever going to see that outcome.

Now in our case, we aren't treating and using our cars like appliances/machinery. If our "house" (as in "The House of Allan") were operated like a commercial enterprise (I try ..Oh GOD, I try) we'd do things a bit differently when it came to our personal vehicles.

I'm trying, too. There are always so many good, albeit expensive, products to try though! It's been tough to fight the urge to buy Mobil 1, K&N, RP, or EaO filters.
wink.gif

My dad ensured I ran the fleet as a fleet. No fancy filters. No synthetics (considering how expensive they were at the time). No messing around with UOAs. Just change the darned oil and filter with what I give you when I give it to you!

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

As soon as someone starts talking about how 'this is waste' unless you're doing that, or 'this is too expensive unless you own this, therefore you really want this' I just roll my eyes and dismiss their entire post as useless info.

I come here for facts. I research my choices, look at the prices, and buy accordingly. Value judgments tend to be entirely subjective and will vary from person to person. Its their money to spend, or to "waste" as they see fit.

As I earn my paycheck (big emphasis on the "I", and the "earn"), I could really care less about anyone's value judgments on the issue.

Its not why I come here. And as my line of work involves detoxing people who (in some cases) put upwards of a thousand bucks of blow up their nose, into their lungs, or their veins - per day - I especially find all the quibbling that takes place about a $3 or $4 difference in the cost of a product used typically up to a year to be a joke.

-Spyder

Well stated. I'm happy overall when it's about what I want for my vehicles and this usually entails not making an attempt at shortcuts (financially) with parts replacement and maintenance. I'd like the very best available in this particular case as it pertains to oil filters and Bosch DP fits the bill, as do a few others I have in the garage (RP, K&N, Amsoil). Debating on saving three or four dollars per filter is not worth the headache.

Originally Posted By: Challenger71
Well stated. I'm happy overall when it's about what I want for my vehicles and this usually entails not making an attempt at shortcuts (financially) with parts replacement and maintenance. I'd like the very best available in this particular case as it pertains to oil filters and Bosch DP fits the bill, as do a few others I have in the garage (RP, K&N, Amsoil). Debating on saving three or four dollars per filter is not worth the headache.

I certainly agree with that. If one wants the filter, buy it. If it's too expensive, don't. We live in the Land of Expensive Frams, though, so we have all kinds of fun to deal with.

Quote:
Any innovation, invention, adaptation, whatever ..has to "carry itself" and then some to make sense.

I agree, but I think there are some benefits to synthetics and better filters that you get whatever your OCI usage. For example, cold flow characteristics. In the middle of winter I notice a big difference when the car has soaked overnight in 20-below weather. OK, sure it will eventually crank over with dino in there, but I wonder how much wear and tear that puts on the starter motor? I have routinely found that starter motors last about 120,000 miles and then kaput. Avoiding one middle of the winter non start with a tow would pay for a lot of synthetic oil. Same with silicone ADBVs on filters. More flexible in the cold means less noise and wear and tear on start up. Maybe there is no quantifiable gain in engine longevity, but it sure takes time off my life to hear the engine making noises on start up.

Still cant find that survey,,anyway quality filter yes.. but that price is a joke,i can get synthetic filters for waaay less.

anyone measure pleat thickness of the DP against the yellow P1's??? i bet there close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back