what oil for a 2002 ford mustang gt 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What weight oil is recommended for this car? A buddy of mine just bought one and he has no paperwork or anything else on the car. It must have an aftermarket 710 cap on it because it doesn't have any writing on it. I know most caps tell you what is recommended nowadays... I am thinking 5w30 but could be wrong...

5W20 is the recommended viscocity for that vehicle.

Most on here agree that Motorcraft 5W20 is one of the best oils you can use in your Fords. I've owned several Fords - still do - and while I think Motorcraft oil is excellent, I seldom use it.

I've had great success with Pennzoil dino 5W20, Castrol dino 5W20, and a whole list of others.

The older 4.6L Fords (pre-2001 in most cases) were spec'd for 5W30. It really won't hurt to use 5W30 if that's what he'd prefer, but members on this site seem to continuously turn out excellent UOAs with 5W20 in their Fords.

Penn Platinum 5w20 or Motorcraft 5w20. They are both great oils. I have just put the PP in my 2005 F150 with the 5.4L engine and it is somewhat quiter than the Motorcraft but not much.

Well thanks guys. I didn't know what yr they started the spec for 5w20. He bought 5w30 last night per my recommendation. Since it is hot here in Texas I think he will be fine until his next oil change though. I like fords but I have been away from them for a while.

He should return the oil and pick up a top tier synthetic 5W-20 for his GT. I like the Castrol Syntec 5W-20 best of the oils I have tried in my 4.6L. I have driven my GT hard in this 100degF summer heat, and engine has run flawlessly and quietly. It makes valvetrain noise with the heavier 30 weights, and power takes a nosedive. All year Modulars are spec'd for 5W-20.

quote:

Originally posted by Rodbuckler:
All year Modulars are spec'd for 5W-20.

The older ones have been back-spec'd for 5W20, that's true. But they didn't come from the factory that way.

You and I both know that almost all pre-2001 models came spec'd for 5W30.

The heads were changed in 2001 and later (Romeo plant). I don't think 5W-30 is compatible with the oil holes in those heads.

My '96 runs great on the thickest 20's and the thinnest 30's (less than 10cSt at 100C). I think the back spec gives the correct viscosity for these pre-'01 engines, especially if they are lower mileage than mine. I'll leave the 8.0cSt oils like Havoline for the late model owners though.

I have a 2002 F-150 with the 4.6 and the wife has a 2005 Explorer with the same engine. We both use Motorcraft 5w-20. These engines rev fast upon starting for pollution reasons. It seems to me if the cold engines are revving fast at cold start it's best to have the fasted flowing oil in the engine to minimize start-up wear.

Besides, the UOA I had done with my oil have shown great wear numbers. Also, if you use a dino 5W-30 chances are it'll become a 20 weight oil in a 1,000 or so miles anyway. Then it'll have undesirable cast offs in the oil versus using a 20 weight oil from the start.

Whimsey

Rodbuckler
Member # 12180

posted 05 August, 2006 10:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The heads were changed in 2001 and later (Romeo plant). I don't think 5W-30 is compatible with the oil holes in those heads.

My '96 runs great on the thickest 20's and the thinnest 30's (less than 10cSt at 100C). I think the back spec gives the correct viscosity for these pre-'01 engines, especially if they are lower mileage than mine. I'll leave the 8.0cSt oils like Havoline for the late model owners though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 305 | From: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: Mar 2006 | IP: Logged |

Where are your fact's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back