Air compressor pump moisture problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Saylor Beall compressor with #705 compressor pump which holds 3 pints of oil. I have been using Champ Lub Reciprocating compressor oil, part number P09479A for the compressor which I recall I've had four years now.

I have been changing oil about once or twice a year. I knew I had moisture build up in pump since the amount of oil would be above the fill line when I drained it. Drained oil was never milky because I think it's synthetic, it's blue in color. It actually looked real clean.

I removed oil sight glass and could feel sludge build up in bottom of sump. Luckily pump has a 7" x 7" inspection plate that I could remove. There was a considerable amount of sludge in bottom of pump. Very decieving the oil that drained looked clean; maybe that one of the reason to use non detergent oil, all the [censored] really does stay on the bottom.

Sludge build up most likely because I do not use it enough and when I use it I do not get the pump up to high operation temperature frequently enough for moisture to boil off. So what to do?

I'm going to change oil and go with inexpensive SAE 30 non detergent oil and change it every three months as owner's manuel states.

I also installed one of those magnetic heaters to the bottom of pump to keep temp up in sump in hopes of keeping moisture at bay.

Anyone else have this problem or can offer additional suggestions

The champ blue is non synthetic,at least that's what my Quincy dealer told me.I think like you it probably comes from to little use,the humid climate in SC also plays a role.

I like the heater idea,Get the oil temp up a few hours before using it.The Champ blue is a good oil i would probably just continue using it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back