Motorcraft filter on an '03 Corolla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if there's a MC filter that will work on the 1ZZFE engine? The direct replacement is the FL-836, but I like using the longer version(currently using PL14477). Plus, the FL-836 isn't easily obtainable.

Reason I want to use an MC filter is the durable construction, availability, silicone ADBV, and it's only $3.67 at Walmart. The only one I can see working is the FL-400S?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

The FL400S should work. What more are you looking for? I think your restrictions are in diameter. The FL400S is as long as you'll find in MC with that diameter.

Purolator Class L20195 are the same as the old Motorcraft FL400s that were longer before they shortend them IIRC. The bypass valve may be in a different location though.

I use 20195s on my Taurus and it calls for FL400s, which are shorter now.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The FL400S should work. What more are you looking for? I think your restrictions are in diameter. The FL400S is as long as you'll find in MC with that diameter.

If the FL-400S will work, that would be perfect. Especially the new size, which is probably still longer than the PL14477 that I'm using now.

Are you positive the FL-400S will work? Thanks for your responses.

The only thing I noticed is that the O.D. for the factory filter is 2.69". The FL-400S is 2.98". Thread size is the same.

I just opened a ST3614 (oversize for 1ZZFE) from my father's Camry 2AZ-FE. Wasn't impress with the ADV which was thin and very stiff. It was only in use for 6 months about 7K miles. The leaf spring and ADV weren't clued to the filter. They were designed to fit snug into the filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike
The only thing I noticed is that the O.D. for the factory filter is 2.69". The FL-400S is 2.98". Thread size is the same.

The O.D. of 2.98" on the FL-400S should work fine. The ST3614 has the same O.D. was used in my father's Camry.

I am not sure for Corolla but the Camry's 2.2L base filter size (where the gasket meets) is only around 2.7x". Measure it with a caliper. So I am not sure if 2.98" size will work? It is too big. I got the feeling that the filter OD size is the same between Camry 2.2L and Corolla?

Last edited:
Did an oil change today to PYB 5W-20. The FL-400S just barely fits my 05 Corolla. The outer rim of the gasket is almost over the edge of the filter base. The filter's dome is still well above the plastic under covers. No leaks yet after a 5 mile drive.

I may have found my new favorite filter. Walmart had plenty FL-400S around. Filter looks well constructed.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Did an oil change today to PYB 5W-20. The FL-400S just barely fits my 05 Corolla. The outer rim of the gasket is almost over the edge of the filter base. The filter's dome is still well above the plastic under covers. No leaks yet after a 5 mile drive.

I may have found my new favorite filter. Walmart had plenty FL-400S around. Filter looks well constructed.

Does it still hit the oil filter base enough for you to be comfortable with it, a good seal?

Does it still hit the oil filter base enough for you to be comfortable with it, a good seal?

There are other bitog members that have used the FL-400S sucessfully in their 9th gens with no problems (use search function).

The wider gasket is completely 100% in contact with the filter base. I would not have used the FL-400S otherwise. But its very close to the edge. Where as the L14476/7 had extra play room and gasket was in contact with the mid section the filter base.

If you decide to try the FL-400S have a backup filter (L14477) ready incase you are not comfortable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunfire

There are other bitog members that have used the FL-400S sucessfully in their 9th gens with no problems (use search function).

The wider gasket is completely 100% in contact with the filter base. I would not have used the FL-400S otherwise. But its very close to the edge. Where as the L14476/7 had extra play room and gasket was in contact with the mid section the filter base.

If you decide to try the FL-400S have a backup filter (L14477) ready incase you are not comfortable.

Thanks for the info. I'll just try it out, there's a Walmart near if I'm not comfortable. I feel more comfortable now that other 9th gen owners have used it sucessfully. The 14477 is what I use now, I like it but it's $6.00/filter, whereas the FL-400S is $3.67. I'll update when I do the oil change, thanks again.

Success! No leaks and the filter fits just fine. Like Sunfire said, right at the edge of the base.

Anyone who owns a 9th gen Corolla should look into this.

MotorcraftCorolla.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I've heard this could be done but this is the most complete post (with pictures) to confirm fitment and clearance.
thankyou2.gif

I've had the FL-400S with PYB for about a month now. No leaks yet or abnormal startup noise. Oil level is still at the full mark.

4 qts was perfect with the spec filter. Since the FL-400S is much bigger, I had to use 4.2 qts to reach the full mark on the dip stick. An extra 0.2 quart isn't a bad thing.

I'm glad I found your post before I did my OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back