Mobil1 5w-30 meet dexos1- Combined Dexos Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vwalburn
Don't understand how people can complain about a manufacturer wanting the best oil possible in our engines.

But neither Dexos nor GF-5 represent the best (whatever that might be). Each is better than the other in certain areas. If you choose an oil that is both Dexos and GF-5, you will be getting a very good oil. But that was also true when you combined GF-4 and GM4718M and/or HTO-06. So the process is still broken in that there remains a large array of specs from oil companies and vehicle manufacturers. It's just easier for GM and their customers, because one word (Dexos) is used to specify a suitable (but not necessarily the best) oil for their vehicles.

The reason I'll use a Dexos 1 approved oil in any car so long as it meets the other requirements is because of the supposed viscosity retention tests that GM does for the hydraulics within the engine. If that is true, then this would be a very good oil to use.

"Chevron believes the current ILSAC classification system for monitoring engine oil quality amply meets the needs of the North American PCMO market. As such, Chevron will not license its Havoline® and Supreme® motor oils under dexos 1."

"The additional costs of the dexos 1 licensing and the added potential complexity of OEMs making separate decisions on product formulations were key decision factors for Chevron."

JobbersWorld

Tom NJ

+1 for Chevron; another reason not to use Citgo.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm betting when Chevron gets their reformulated Dexos "equivalent" ready, early next year. They will pay at that point to get it licensed. We'll see though.

My two personal faves, Valvoline and Castrol are still firmly in the "Nay" Column as well.

According to GM though, isn't dexos1 a more stringent spec than ILSAC GF-5? In that case, how do we know the non conformers meet it?

Now get this...GM doesn't want to be in the oil business..so just go to your GM dealer and ask to buy a quart of Goodwrench Dexos oil..haha..he will laugh at you. GM has NEVER, nor will EVER package this oil..even though it is factory fill. So, who made it for them? No one will say..my guess is Mobil1. BUT..the bulletin from GM to the parts department says "until the Dexos oils become available, Mobil1 5w-30 may be used. Crazy? Like a fox!

Quote:
Mobil 1 is now officially dexos licensed worldwide. The new dexos licensed ExxonMobil products will meet the GM global engine oil specifications and will be designated by displaying dexos1 or dexos2 logos on the product labels. ExxonMobil's dexos licensed products will provide consumers with a strong product offer giving GM drivers more options when it comes to their motor oil.

Just wonder why second line of Mobil and Pennzoil meet dexos1 and not the top line ?

(NOTE: Merged into combined Dexos thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting question. Could be that they haven't gotten around to testing it for the license. But regular M1 and PP are dual spec'd for GF-5 and dexos. M1 EP and PU both have extra additives that may prevent them from meeting either GF-5 or dexos1, or neither one. The extra additives could lead to not meeting the fuel economy (additives compete against FMs needed for fuel economy) of GF-5 or the stringent deposit control of dexos1 (higher additives lead to more deposits).

Just my educated guess...

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Interesting question. Could be that they haven't gotten around to testing it for the license. But regular M1 and PP are dual spec'd for GF-5 and dexos. M1 EP and PU both have extra additives that may prevent them from meeting either GF-5 or dexos1, or neither one. The extra additives could lead to not meeting the fuel economy (additives compete against FMs needed for fuel economy) of GF-5 or the stringent deposit control of dexos1 (higher additives lead to more deposits).

Just my educated guess...

More likely XOM and SOPUS are more interested in licensing their most readily available Dexos capable oils.

Ultra, for instance, already meets GF-5 and has better seq. IIIG results than Platinum. It's more to do with marketing and availability rather than product performance, IMO.

Between SOPUS and Mobil folks will find a great oil.
I really like Euro Castrol products but could care less about their U.S. offerings,ditto Valvoline and Hugo's oil,their loss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back