Removing an oil tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I have an oil tank in my basement. The house has had gas heat for the last 30 years, but it is an old original.

Im going to have a new furnace/indirect water heater installed, however due to some of the incentives, in order tot ake advantage the oil tank needs to go out. I look at it as freeing up space for free and being susidized by the incentives... not too bad.

But one thing I could do is DIY. It is in my basement in an area where the basement was only half dug out, so I have a full, walk-around basement, but one section is only half as deep.

I have a good milwaukee sawzall. I'd need to cut it up into small parts essentially on my knees. Can an oil tank be cut up with a sawzall without severe issues getting it done? Would this be a reasonable DIY or am I kidding myself?

Thanks!

How thick is the tank steel?

I have cut many many feet of 1/4" steel with Sawzall's "The Torch" blade.

You're arms will be sore and tingly after all the vibration, but it can be done. I actually found the most fatigue was on the Milwaukee Sawzall's trigger finger which has a heavy spring (on mine anyway) with no lock-on. I actually considered locking it down with a cable tie and switching it with a foot pedal switch. You'll have to consider the potential for spark/fire, but we're basically dealing with a diesel fuel tank here that hopefully has been empty for some decades.

Years ago before I went to work for GM I was in the Environmental cleanup field and that is what we used BUT we also had explosion meters and all sorts of other stuff to make sure that we didn't get crispy. Fuel oil will not explode but if it caught on fire you and your house would be in a world of hurt. CO2 fire extinguisher would be the weapon of choice if you need one.

Remove all pipes and plugs on the tank, shine a flash light in it. If you see any liquid dump oil dry into it to cover the liquid. Ventilate the tank for about 20 minutes with an air compressor or leaf blower, recheck for visible liquid add oil dry as needed. Have a second person ready with the CO2 watching thru a bung hole while you cut a hole big enough to clean it out. After it is cleaned continue cutting the tank.

Also, remove the cone on the end of the extinguisher hose so that you can stick it right inside the tank.

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

Last edited:
While I haven't cut an oil tank up, I did cut the top off a 55 gallon drum with a saber saw once. That was the most noise I ever experienced. I'd recommend hearing protectors in the mix.

If you cause a fire doing this, your insurance may decline to cover the damage, especially if they find you posted here and were told not to do it by some people. Think about this long and hard before doing it.

I know of several homeowners who have done just that. Sawzall it into the largest manageable sections you can handle. A ~4" grinder works excellent too and is easier on the body. Like said, remove every access point possible to verify what's inside and spray it out with simple green and water with a garden sprayer if you wish. I had a massive ~1950 chest freezer at the bottom of the basement stairs when we bought our current home. Creepy looking giant casket sucker. I swear they had to drop it in and then build the house around it and I've got both inside the house and exterior Bilco door access to the basement! Anyway.. I removed everything I could and had to sawzall it into 3 sections to get it out. What a mess and stink, but it had to be done. Good blades, ear and eye protection and good gloves are a must.

Joel

Last edited:
The 4" angle grinder will work. Get some name-brand cutting wheels, and don't remove the guard.

I'm sure it's DIY if you take precautions. And go slowly!

Some states(MA) require the old oil tank be disposed of properly. Make sure your compliant especially since a paper trail is involved.

I asked my nice boiler tech who they use/charge, and I will only state it not worth it whatsoever DIY.

If you decide on DIY use some sand inside to soak up the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back