Valve Stems - Always Replace at Tire Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems all shops changing tires want to put on new valve stems. Is this really necessary? Seems of something is going to go wrong with a stems, its going to be the Schrader valve, which is cheap to replace if needed.

It's a good Idea but no guarantee you wont have stem leaks. I had trouble with new stems this winter leaking after a cold weather check and the valves need to be opened & closed repeatedly due to audible seeping to get the valve to seat closed. I haven't changed them out after that and are sealing, but I was worried I would wake up with flat tires. It was two valves that did this not just one. Perhaps the tire store I bought the set from had a compressor with a faulty moisture filter or are to lazy to drain the tank properly.

Short answer is yes,change them,its not the valve itself that fails its the rubber that ages and gets damaged where it goes into the wheel.

Last edited:
Change them if you have reason to believe the replacements are as good as the old ones and not made of some short lived Chinese rubber.

If you rack up miles fast and go through a set of tires in 2 or less years, there isn't much reason to replace them every time.

Yes, I change them at every tire change.

I use very high quality, very short (< 3/4") rubber valve stems which I bring with me to the installer as they NEVER have the short ones which are hard to come by.

I used to use the short metal racing stems, but they ALWAYS had sealing/leaking problems with their rubber grommets.

It's cheap insurance to always buy new valve stems. Also, I stay away from the metal stems as the others say. They're better good for over 65 psi or racing situations.

XS650: Sadly the best valve stems are made in China now. Schraeder Bridgeport...made in China to their specs.

Seems the tire places never have the correct length stems for Hondas, too long or too short. Is there something special about Honda's size.....another attempt to make a Honda only available part??

You may as well. As cheap as valve stems are relative to the cost of the tires, it's a cheap way to avoid future problems. Personally, I've never experienced any valve stem failures. I have had one leak, but I just had to tighten the valve a little. I have always replaced the valve stems with every tire change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back